FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TSA Apparently "Warning" Journalists not to Cover Flaw in Body Scanners

Author Topic: TSA Apparently "Warning" Journalists not to Cover Flaw in Body Scanners
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Link(I'll see if I can find a less biased source in a bit)

I'm no fan at all of the TSA, but if this turns out to be true it will reduce my already low opinion. Suppressing free speech, especially at the level of a wink and a nod, is a particularly disgusting act.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
They're embarrassed, and rightfully so. They've been screwing up a whole lot this last decade.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
They're embarrassed, and rightfully so. They've been screwing up a whole lot this last decade.

BB, this was intentional, right?
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought a decade was just a group of ten contiguous years.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
quote:

Um, yes!*

*No. You are seeing something I am not.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe just that they've only been around this last decade?
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by airmanfour:

Perhaps, but this is 2012, the year of the unavoidable calendar apocalypse. Which makes this the culmination of The LAST Decade.

I'm surprised you don't realize the gravity of this.

I facepalm at you.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
quote:
quote:

Um, yes!*

*No. You are seeing something I am not.

Amilia got it.

The TSA was founded in 2002, which makes them literally, precisely a decade old. So, the fact that they've been screwing up a lot "this last decade" is... yeah.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
...is completely accurate?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by odouls268:
quote:
Originally posted by airmanfour:

Perhaps, but this is 2012, the year of the unavoidable calendar apocalypse. Which makes this the culmination of The LAST Decade.

I'm surprised you don't realize the gravity of this.

I facepalm at you.

I will see your facepalm, sir. And I will raise you a headdesk.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The TSA was founded in 2002, which makes them literally, precisely a decade old. So, the fact that they've been screwing up a lot "this last decade" is... yeah.

2001, if we're going to nitpick.

And the fact that they've been around and have been screwing up for about the same amount of time was, I thought, exactly the point.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

And the fact that they've been around and have been screwing up for about the same amount of time was, I thought, exactly the point.

That was definitely a point I was trying to make. I thought maybe there was something I was missing that was unintentionally funny about what I said.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

That was definitely a point I was trying to make. I thought maybe there was something I was missing that was unintentionally funny about what I said.
Rivka: They weren't actually a functional organization (if they ever have been! Zing) until January of 2002, when they got their first administration. So yeah, technically they were signed into existence in November or December of 2001, if I recall, but the guy Bush appointed to run the place didn't really take office until January, so functionally they've only been doing anything since 2002. If we're going to nitpick. [Big Grin]

Blackblade: Yeah, the phrasing "not doing well this last decade" implied to me that there could have been a previous point where they had done well. I'd expect you to phrase it "Has never done very well" unless you were making an oblique jab in your choice of words. Which... is why I asked if you were making an oblique jab in your choice of words! [Smile]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Dan: I get ya. I didn't say "has never done very well" because I wanted to draw attention to the sheer length of time they've been screwing up, not that they've always been bad. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
They were screwed up from their inception. No need for them to do anything to make it true. Thus, 2001. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Well played, madame.

Well played.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.