FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Diablo 3 has a release date (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Diablo 3 has a release date
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this game just a gimped version of Nethack with an updated UI? I'll pass. There's a great port of Nethack for Android that I've been playing for a year or so, and I don't need fancy graphics.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
Isn't this game just a gimped version of Nethack with an updated UI? I'll pass.

Excellent parody impersonation of an aging game grump 10/10
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Is geraine dead from lack of sleep yet
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

geraine we're all very worried about you. the having like all of the league of legends skins was one thing but now we are really worried geraine. geraine this is just not healthy
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Pretty much all of my age peers at work are not here because they wanted to be able to stare at their computers and not play DIII last night.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, yeah far fewer of my peers did that, but the two that did were comically frustrated at their inability to, uh, do anything.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope I'm here!

After work yesterday I slept for about 4 or 5 hours, and woke up to play at midnight. I've been up ever since. I am also streaming it on a gaming website some friends and I manage. Right now the servers are down.

I'm a level 27 Monk, and I'm about to finish Act 3.

So far I am enjoying it quite a bit.

I've been staying hydrated, and also eating healthy. Been eating a lot of vegetables and fruits, as well as peanut butter for protein. A lot of water or no-sugar drinks as well. It has been 12 hours, but I'm feeling alert and awake, and antsy to get back into the game.

One thing about stats....It wasn't as big of a deal as I thought. There is plenty of armor with stats on it, so I can effectively customize my character just like I could in Diablo 2. Only difference is I can switch those stats any time I want by switching out what I am wearing. [Smile]

One other observation... The game seems to ramp up in difficulty at certain times during Act 2 and 3, then become laughable again later in the Act... I don't know if this was by accident or if Blizzard wanted to effectively have "Gear Checks" for certain spots.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
Nope I'm here!

After getting fired work yesterday I slept for two micro meth-crashes, and woke up to play at midnight. I've been peaking ever since. I am also screaming it on a gaming website some friends and I manage. Right now the police and paramedics are down. At our front door.

I'm a level 57 Monk, and I'm about to die.

So far I am jesus.

I've been slowly furrowing into a mummy, and also eating nothing but red hot cheetoes. Been mainlining a lot of stimulants, as well as oxy to dull the jitters. Mountain dew mountain dew. It has been 47 hours, but I'm feeling like my body will mutiny if I don't get my fix, and I will kill a man or sell my kidneys to get back into the game.

Oh, ok! Yeah, this doesn't sound too bad. Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself.
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
Nope I'm here!

After getting fired work yesterday I slept for two micro meth-crashes, and woke up to play at midnight. I've been peaking ever since. I am also screaming it on a gaming website some friends and I manage. Right now the police and paramedics are down. At our front door.

I'm a level 57 Monk, and I'm about to die.

So far I am jesus.

I've been slowly furrowing into a mummy, and also eating nothing but red hot cheetoes. Been mainlining a lot of stimulants, as well as oxy to dull the jitters. Mountain dew mountain dew. It has been 47 hours, but I'm feeling like my body will mutiny if I don't get my fix, and I will kill a man or sell my kidneys to get back into the game.

Oh, ok! Yeah, this doesn't sound too bad. Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself.
This is probably one of the most epic things I've seen you type. [ROFL]
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Blizzard sure has messed up this launch. Most US players still can't log in.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
On one hand, I have a lot of faith in Blizzard's competency. If they couldn't make the launch work, I doubt anyone could have.

On the other hand, I'd really like to play the game I paid for now.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am irritated (admittedly, a bit mildly) by the always-online DRM, because I cannot now play the single-player game, since Blizzard was unable to cope with the <sarcasm> surprising </sarcasm> number of players there were at launch.

I swore off Ubisoft for the same reason, when an online-always DRM prevented me from playing a single player game for 3 days. I would normally have faith in Blizzard's competency, but (I think) this is their first game since being bought by Activision, and I'm hoping this isn't a sign of changes to come. I will be sad if Blizzard's heydey is over.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't purchased it yet, and from the things I'm hearing I'm not going to for a while, if at all.

Does anyone here have a guestpass I could use? Given how bad the brief beta experience was an what I'm hearing since launch, I'd like to see if the game actually works reasonably on my computer/internet-connection before shelling out $60.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The guest passes allow you to play through the open beta content from what I understand.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
That is my understanding as well. I didn't make it through all the open Beta content, I only played a few hours, and they were horribly laggy. I wanted to see if the final version of the game was any better.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Still pretty damn laggy. May be my house connection, but that doesn't make me any less pissed off. Haven't purchased the full game yet, trying to decide if I should bother even if they did subsequently sort out all these issues.
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love a Guest Pass if anyone has one to spare!

jackwiggin@gmail.com

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Big surprise: game is addictive. The easy social elements and the near-total assurance of no item duping makes the loot game the most ridiculously appealing quantum of an all-online system.

Sucks if you have lag, though!

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I set my resolution to 800 by 600, which solved the "character looks like they're running through molasses" problem, but not the lag.

It's actually kind of fun if you treat the lag as part of the game. Just made a monk, and it's neat to walk through a mob of zombies, do a bunch of karate chops, and then casually stroll onwards. The zombies stand around looking confused for 5 seconds until the game updates and then they all fall over.

Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Any guest passes out there?

Purty please?

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

I have a guest pass that you are more than welcome to.

Pepek, do you still need one? I can send it later this afternoon if you like.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't...stop...laughing.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

So is anyone still playing?

I've basically come to the conclusion that the auction house has ruined the game. I would recommend to a new player that they pretend that feature didn't exist.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still playing, and I have never used the auction house, so I can't speak to it. How does it ruin the game?
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I'm still playing too, but I'm rapidly approaching the point where it's difficult to maintain interest.

The AH, in short, fundamentally undermines the reward system of the game - that is, obtaining improved gear. Through the AH, it is possible - easy even - to obtain gear better than what you would find on your own. At or below vendor prices, you can buy rare items that will outstrip anything you are likely to find.

Secondly, buying the upgraded gear just isn't the same as finding it. It doesn't hit the reward chime in my head the same way. It's like the difference between working to earn money, then buying something, and playing a winning lotto ticket.

I think there were a lot of good reasons to implement the AH, with good intentions behind them. The ultimate effect, however, is to fundamentally change the nature of the game from treasure hunting to a day job.

Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm barely playing and I regret the purchase. I was completely had by the hype generated by D2 fans and my appreciation of SC2 leading me to think Blizzard would churn out a game of similar quality.

I've played Torchlight and made it to the last act of Titan Quest under a mod called "Underlord" which made the game more interesting. I quit playing that game in anticipation of D3 being even better but I wish I hadn't. I honestly think I was having more fun with Titan Quest.

D3 has many things wrong with it. First of all, the storyline and dialogue is numbingly cheesy. The way the villains taunt you is straight up worse writing than they had on Power Rangers. I would be embarrassed to be seen playing the game. You would have to put up with that cheesiness again and again as you aim towards max level and attempt inferno mode. Yes you can skip it, but you are always aware of the horrible stuff you're skipping.

Okay, and then there's the game play itself. Why is it that in both Torchlight and Titan Quest I could often, but not too often, find good items for my character but every time I want to upgrade an item my D3 barb I have to head to the Auction House? It's because the game was rigged that way so as to expose as many people as possible to the Auction House and, therefore, to the Real Currency portion of the auction house. You know those free to play games that have some sort of scheme built into them so that you have to pay money or else grind endlessly? That's pretty much the model for D3 except they made us pay $60 for it as well.

Here's an ardent gamer who was anticipating the game for years (and hyping it up on youtube) giving his reasons for quitting the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aed55ZYRv4c&feature=g-all-u

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I still play, a little that is. After beating it once it has lost a lot of fun.

I actually enjoy the AH as much, if not more than the game itself. Sure, it makes the game super easy, all that powerful equipmen...that is part of the fun.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I quit playing after I had earned it back, plus hypothetical future expansion.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I quit playing after I had earned it back, plus hypothetical future expansion.

Never managed to sell anything on the real money AH, much to my chagrin.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Biggest sale was $75 for a 6-slot blacksmith pattern. $19 for mempo, $40 for a conceptually perfect monk ring. $2 and $3 for some junk. Done, out
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

So maybe that is why I still enjoy the game, because I don't use the AH. I don't like the idea of being able to buy easily what I could find in-game through hunting.

I am only in Act 2, so I don't know how the game goes from here. My only gripe thus far is that the game seems to easy, and I am on normal mode. I would do a harder mode if I could, but I have to beat it on normal mode first. Does the game get considerably harder as it progresses?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Nightmare will be slightly less easy. Hell is a good challenge. Inferno is...frustrating.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

gaw i should play again with a group of four, with the caveat that we cannae use the octionhaus
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

When I've been able to get time with my friends to play together it has been a lot more fun, especially if we're all on skype.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I suggested a new dye on the Diablo III boards...mimic dye, which would make your equipment look like another piece of the same type, but since I wasn't threatening anyone's life, no one payed it any heed.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm just going to wait for improvements to D3 end game, and play Torchlight 2 in the meantime.

Also, I'll probably still do the occasional group of four guys just casually leveling, sans AH.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

Anyone here ever played the beta for Path of Exile? Currently, you can join the closed beta for $10. It is being called the "real" Diablo 3, though obviously there is disagreement on this.

I decided to give it a try, and though I have only played a few hours into it so far, here are my thoughts:

• The loot system is a lot cooler than Diablo 3. There is no auction house, so you can find all in-game gear through playing
  • You get different spell gems that you can level up by using them, and you equip them on slotted equipment. This means that if you find new equipment, you can remove the leveled gem and put it into a new piece of armor, with no penalty
  • There is a high level of customization for using spells
  • The passive skill tree is the largest I have ever seen. It is insane
  • I miss the lack of spoken dialogue, and there isn't much story to speak of yet. I can't speak to how it will progress over time
  • The graphics are much more realistic than Diablo 3. Sometimes I like this, other times I miss the flashiness of Diablo 3.
  • Combat is harder than Diablo 3. Even within the first few levels of my character, I had to actually be a little bit strategic in my movements and potion use to stay alive. In Diablo 3, I sometimes forget I am actually capable of dying
  • The potion system is cooler than any other game I have played. I suppose this is preference. Instead of finding potions, you find or buy empty health or mana potion bottles and they fill up gradually as you kill monsters. When you use one, you sip from it. DIfferent sized bottles can hold various amounts of potion before it empties. Different potion bottles can also have various effects, such as granting increased movement speed in addition to getting health.
  • Overall, I like this game more than Diablo 3, though there are things that aren't as good. Path of Exile feels like more of an adult game. Apparently people playing Path of Exile like to refer to Diablo 3 as "Barbie Dress Up". The gear is prettier in Diablo 3, but Path of Exile has much better customization

Here's a good interview by one of the designers that explains more, including what they still plan to add:

Grinding Gears Games Interview

[ July 31, 2012, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Marlozhan ]

Marlozhan
Member # 2422

Another good article explaining Path of Exile:

link

Samprimary
Member # 8561

ex post facto I would have easily agreed that lil' ol D3 was just not ready for primetime. The meat of it is just a too-short runthrough game with a story that is so incredibly hideously bad that I just turn off all voice and skip all dialogue.

Oh well I enjoyed my clicky clicky mindless fun

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I didn't feel like the story was bad at all. But I am still surprised the game as is took this long to create.

I also find it surprising Blizzard did not realize they did not have a replayable game on their hands. Or that drops are retarded when your legendary items don't feel legendary.

Marlozhan
Member # 2422

Blizzard supposedly remains a separate entity, practically speaking, from Activision.

I will believe that to the degree that I believe Pixar still runs on its own steam, not Disney's.

A separate entity still has to answer to the pull of the purse strings.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Some fairly major changes are hitting tomorrow. Here's a good rundown.

I'll probably come back for paragon levels, as well as legendary items that actually feel legendary.

edit: Just about every change especially to systems is a good one. No more averaged magic find, elite mobs don't regenerate health and don't have enrage timers. Repair costs down alittle, and there's something to do once you hit 60.

If PVP ends up being well implemented, I might just stick around until expansion day. If not, I'll still buy the expansion, I just won't play until then.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
We're playing the starter edition now. Once we're finished with it, we'll decide if we want to actually buy the game. I'm somehwat neutral on it so far; for all its polish, it feels kind of soulless. Even the cookie-cutter story and characters in Crimson Alliance were more interesting than this.

Too bad Torchlight 2 won't be crossplatform on launch.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Ill probably play Torchligh 2 as well almost solely for Matt Uelman's soundtrack.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Halfway through a paragon level after one butcher run. I got three upgrades in one run, and one was a legendary. Kinda nuts.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of my problem may be that I'm playing a witch doctor, and at low levels I basically just stand around while my spiders and zombie dogs nom everything in sight. ElJay's monk is moving around, knocking enemies around, etc.

I imagine things will be more interesting when I have more skills. And of course if I get the real game I can use elective mode to pick skills. But perhaps the witch doctor is just not for me.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Barb is fun...lots of clicking.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Part of my problem may be that I'm playing a witch doctor, and at low levels I basically just stand around while my spiders and zombie dogs nom everything in sight. ElJay's monk is moving around, knocking enemies around, etc.

I imagine things will be more interesting when I have more skills. And of course if I get the real game I can use elective mode to pick skills. But perhaps the witch doctor is just not for me.

Classes are honestly night and day for me in that game. Looooove the monk, bored by the witch doctor.
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
wizard is pretty perfect for me; disintegrate is the end-all be-all point to point death platform.

We sit at the end of a hall and just point multiple beams down it and that is that.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Speaking of wizardry, I am (sort of) sad I sold all my primo gear to the RMAH and am having to start over again in Inferno Act I. But I found out shortly after starting the game up that the kind of gear I used to sell for 5-20 bucks a pop is now in the gold auctionhouse for less than a million a piece.

So no biggie?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.