FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack's Photographers - Show Off your Stuff!

Author Topic: Hatrack's Photographers - Show Off your Stuff!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a lot of Hatrackers like to take pictures, and I thought this could be a nice space for showing them off. I was thinking we could pick our favorite photos and show them off. If people want to post whole albums that's fine too, though, maybe we don't want to bury each other right off the bat.

But I'd love it if everyone posted their favorite pictures taken over the years, and then as you continue to take new pictures and post them, please let us know what you're working on so we can see the new material as it's created.

Also, feel free to share tips on photos, editing, locations, and other photography-related things. I'm also curious as to what site people like to publish photos on. Photobucket? Flickr? What's the easiest to use?

I've been having a blast with my new camera over the past couple weeks and have a small number of pictures I'd love to share, but I'd really appreciate getting some inspiration from others who have been at it longer. So please feel free to use this space to share and discuss.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been pretty interested in photography for just over a year, and have a few pictures that I'm reasonably happy with. I picked a couple and threw them in a small gallery here. If anyone is interested, the links at the top will take you to galleries with more of my pictures (there's a lot of overlap between galleries).

For hosting, I love SmugMug (but you do have to pay for it). It has wonderful galleries, and you can do an amazing amount of configuration and tweaking to how your site looks. You get absolutely unlimited storage (when I was doing research before getting a subscription, I came across a few stories of people uploading several TB of archives, and SmugMug taking it all without complaint).

If you want to use a free site, Flickr is great (and huge). It has pretty nice tools for clearly marking what kind of license you want to post your photos under, and will give you a nice set of choices on what sizes you want to make available. There are a bunch of communities there, which will be entirely composed of other photographers. I'm not really active on Flickr at all, but I imagine the communities could be a great learning tool if you want to get involved with them.

Another option in hosting is to use Google+ or Facebook. Facebook used to be pretty awful insofar as they'd pretty aggressively lower the resolution and encoding quality of your pictures to save space (which looked fine for the kind of pictures most people post to Facebook). G+ debuted with a pretty decent image hosting system, which forced Facebook to go back and do some significant upgrades. Both will let you share reasonably high quality photos now, though there are obviously some privacy concerns, as anything you post on either will include links to your profiles. They do have the advantage of being entirely free, and by the nature of what they are, make it easy to share new pictures with friends and such. I usually end up posting new pictures I'm proud of to a Facebook album in addition to throwing them up on SmugMug.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.