FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question About Right Of Way

Author Topic: Question About Right Of Way
Marie
Member # 12686

- posted      Profile for Marie           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Hatrack! Please forgive me for my ignorance, but I just want to make sure my thinking is correct on this.

In Florida, if a person wanting to make a right hand turn and a person wanting to make a U-turn are both stopped at traffic lights, who would have the right of way? Assume that the one wanting to make the right turn has a red light but comes to a complete stop (and makes sure nothing is comming the other way) before turning right.

The one making the left U-turn has a green light but doesn't notice the person turning right?

Thanks for clearing this up [Smile]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about Florida, but in Nevada, most people seem to yield to the U-turn. Also not sure if that's what is actually correct, but that's what most people do.

So I guess I'm not really answering your question at all...

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess....with the help of my former police officer great aunt (not in Florida) is that the right on red is probably at fault. A judge might make it shared responsibility depending on the specfic curcumstances of the case) but the right on red definitely has responsibility to make sure it is clear from all directions (not just from the left).
Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Not 100% sure about Florida, but here (SoCal) the U-turn would have the right of way, assuming it wasn't a posted "No U-turn", as they had the green light.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who has the right-of-way in Florida? The answer is no one! The law only says who must yield (give up) the right-of-way. Every driver, motorcyclist, moped rider, bicyclist and pedestrian must do everything possible to avoid a crash.

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
The u-turn has the right-of-way, as long as it's at an intersection where u-turns are legal. A right hand turn on a red has to yield to all other traffic.

Wikipedia talks about it in depth, but I'm not sure I see the legal sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_turn_on_red

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
In NC, we have signs that say "U-Turn yield to right turn", but I think that only applies in case of a right-turn green arrow signal (on the intersecting left-turn arrow signal used for the U-turn).
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
U-turn has a green, and right on red assumes the responsibility for yielding and making sure the intersection is clear before proceeding.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is off-topic and I've said it before but PLEASE!!!!! When we get to a four way stop, and you have the right of way, just take it. Don't wave me through trying to be nice, you're screwing things up for other drivers, and ruining a system that is as efficient as can be reasonably expected. Your niceties lower the efficiency. Stop!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*waves BB through*
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
*revokes AFR's license*
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*says snide things about Utah drivers*
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

*agrees sagely with said snide things regarding Utah drivers*

*ups the ante with Beijing drivers*

ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in Beijing earlier this year, I asked a local how they all managed to drive so, ah, eccentrically without hitting each other.

"Oh, the accident rate is very high," she said. "But since there is too much traffic, we can only go very slowly. So no one really gets hurt."

I guess that's one way to handle it.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know this is off-topic and I've said it before but PLEASE!!!!! When we get to a four way stop, and you have the right of way, just take it. Don't wave me through trying to be nice, you're screwing things up for other drivers, and ruining a system that is as efficient as can be reasonably expected. Your niceties lower the efficiency. Stop!
Continuing on from the other thread: My police officer defensive driving teacher told us that since the law says that the driver on the left MUST yield right of way to the driver on the right, if the driver on the right waves the driver on the left through the intersection, and the driver on the left goes through the intersection, the two are both in violation of the law.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I might actually just sit in my car then the next time I'm waved through.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
That whole yield-to-the-person-on-the-right rule has always confused me a little.

Specifically: What do you do when 4 people arrive at a 4 way intersection?

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
The way I learned it in driver's ed in PA is if 4 people arrive at a 4 way at the same time, then they just have to wait for someone to take the initiative (that is actually what we were taught).
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KirKis
Member # 12454

- posted      Profile for KirKis           Edit/Delete Post 
The person in the biggest car gets the Right-of-Way, imo.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

It would be extremely rare for four cars to arrive at the intersection at the exact same time. Even if you had four cars all approaching, somebody will arrive and complete their stop first. They then proceed through the intersection and the order of the cars becomes fairly obvious.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Today, at a four way stop, someone wasn't taking their turn and by the time someone else had finally given up and taken the initiative, so many cars had been waiting for so long that nobody knew anymore whose turn it was next. It was a mess. This intersection has 3 lanes at each of the four stops. (One left turn lane, and two for going straight, the rightmost of which can also turn right.) I'd guess we had 10 cars waiting.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
You would like that at an intersection of that size, there would be a light.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
The way I learned it in driver's ed in PA is if 4 people arrive at a 4 way at the same time, then they just have to wait for someone to take the initiative (that is actually what we were taught).

That seems to be what happens, but I didn't know it was official!

I've never taken a driver's Ed. course, and it's been a long time since I had any particular cause to read up on it.

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
It would be extremely rare for four cars to arrive at the intersection at the exact same time. Even if you had four cars all approaching, somebody will arrive and complete their stop first. They then proceed through the intersection and the order of the cars becomes fairly obvious.

I dunno, I've encountered it before, or if not exactly the same time then close enough that there was a brief pause where none of us quite knew what to do.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Arizona, the U-Turn definitely has the right of way.

Except at intersections that have a green right turn arrow. And then there is a sign noting that U-Turns are to yield to traffic turning right. Or what Carrie said above it seems.

As a side note, I have seen several very near accidents at those particular intersections.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"What do you do when 4 people arrive at a 4 way intersection?"

Well, the normal procedure is...

[ April 07, 2012, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.