FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone familiar with Lima (Peru, that is)

Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Lima (Peru, that is)
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Not knowing exactly where to go with this question, I turn to trusty old Hatrack.

I'm travelling to Peru this summer for some mission work. On my trip down, I have a nearly 20 hour layover in Lima before I head to the small village where I'll be staying.

So, has anybody been to Lima or know anything about the city? I really want to see something, even if it's not much. I'd hate to be in the city and just sit in the airport for the day.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hubby has been there. He says the taxis are very cheap and somewhat exciting. He recommends the national anthropological museum. Earlier he would have also recommended the gold museum, but there was an expose in 2001 and it turned out most of the exhibits were fake.

He hasn't been to the Iglesia de Santo Domingo, but it's a historic church and monastery that is noted for architecture and relics.

He highly recommends reading Prescott's The History of the Conquest of Peru (Edit: which is available for free through project Gutenberg.)

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Great! Good to know that taxis are cheap there.

I'll definitely look up the book.

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.