FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HBO shows

Author Topic: HBO shows
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I've been watching True Blood and Game of Thrones, but I'm almost done with both of them. Granted, new seasons are starting, but I'll probably wait until the seasons are over before I watch them (all in one stretch).

Anyway, I was wondering what all of you thought of the shows on HBO. I'd say their best is Game of Thrones, but I only recently got the channel so I haven't seen most of what they have. Thankfully, HBO Go makes it pretty easy to check out everything.

Shows like Hung, Big Love, Life's Too short, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Six Feet Under, and Rome all look decent enough, but I don't know if I'd be able to get into them. Which do you prefer and why?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch all that much TV, but I do try and catch pretty much all of HBO's offerings. They are generally a tier above what's on regular TV, though AMC seems to be catching up.

Big Love started out fairly decent, but got pretty lame by the end. Too much like a soap opera, and the protagonist ended up completely unsympathetic to me. I actively routed for him to fail.

Six Feet Under had some very good episodes, and one of the best series finale's ever IMHO. I missed a couple of the middle seasons, but what I did see I liked.

Rome was great, highly recommend it. The story of Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo was very compelling. Probably my favorite buddy pairing in fiction.

Hung was just "okay", and we got bored of it by the second season. The premise is pretty thin to hang a show around.

Let's see. what else... Soprano's was very good, if you haven't seen that. I also enjoyed Carnivāle. The first season of Oz was great when it came out, but it hasn't aged all that well (too imitated, not shocking anymore).

The Wire was a very good show, if you haven't seen that. Perhaps the most realistic cop show ever. Deadwood was pretty amazing, as you've probably already heard.

Boardwalk Empire is well done and worth watching, though I'm not sure if this coming season will maintain my interest given recent events.

Entourage is pretty funny and is only 30 minutes, nice if you want a small dose of TV. Not a great show, but a good one.

I'd also highly recommend some of the historical mini-series. Band of Brothers is excellent, required viewing if you are at all interested in WWII. Same goes for From the Earth to the Moon, but for the space program. John Adams had some very good episodes (and a couple of stinkers).

I'd recommend avoiding Mildred Pierce, as it was a waste of time.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.