FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Long term lurkers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Long term lurkers
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I count, though I disappoint myself by it.
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
quote:
Also, the sense of Hatrack as a supportive community, made up primarily of good friends, is not what it once was.
You know I have been a really consistent lurker for about ten years now. I mean, I've been visiting this site 4 or 5 times a week this whole time.

I occasionally see some of you common posters write like this, like Hatrack had a golden age. If it did, it certainly predates my registration date of 2002.

I tend to agree with the original post. I haven't been around as long as some, but there were a few years where the majority of posters seemed to have created a tight community. Hatrack used to have in-person gatherings; do those even happen anymore?
I wouldn't say it was a Golden Age, that would imply the best times are behind us, but things have changed.

Also, if I remember correctly, Aaron's record is wrong. That when Hatrack made the switch over all those many many years ago, all the users were transferred alphabetically. Thus "Aaron" gets member number 1, without actually being the first member.

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willthesane
Member # 11754

- posted      Profile for willthesane           Edit/Delete Post 
wonder how i compare? i figured i'd log in to write this. surprised my login still works.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willthesane
Member # 11754

- posted      Profile for willthesane           Edit/Delete Post 
how odd i thought this account was older than that.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottF
Member # 9356

- posted      Profile for ScottF   Email ScottF         Edit/Delete Post 
That'd be me.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottF
Member # 9356

Although 8 posts per year ain't nothing to sneeze at.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ScottF:
Although 8 posts per year ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Chatterbox.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anzha
Member # 2060

- posted      Profile for Anzha           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
If it did, it certainly predates my registration date of 2002.
It did. [Smile]
Not from my perspective, obviously.

Foust, IME the Hatrackers who are most likely to feel that Hatrack has a golden age that has passed are those who have regularly attended in-person get-togethers. Those who have never done so, and have never otherwise built relationships with other Hatrackers (via chat, email, or just lots of posts on Hatrack) are less likely to see the difference.

As a long-time lurker who (as far as I know) has done none of the above, it is unsurprising you don't see that. Then again, it also makes you perhaps less qualified to comment on it.

I have never attended any of the in-person events, but I do agree that Hatrack did have a Golden Age. It was when discussion threads were actually discussions with long in-depth postings, conscientious attempts to see things from others' point of view, and very little hard flaming. This was also during the time when jatraqueros regularly talked in AOL chat and met each other IRL. I even recall a marriage resulting in one instance, between mackillian and whatshisname. The first warning shot that ended it all to me was the appearance of Bean Counter, who I think might have actually been malanthrop as well.

BTW, my low postcount is only due to the fact that I registered another username here so that probably kills my cred a little. [Smile] In case you're curious, that other username is-

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
Me [Smile]

I also spent a lot of time in the Virtual Battle School forums before registering over here as Anzha, never did anything of note though.

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Anzha/Misha, there were a lot more than one marriage. Several of which have produced offspring (including the one you referenced).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

Oh, no doubt! I just really remember all the hubbub around mackillian's wedding and conversion, it seemed at the time it was what everyone was talking about, especially in chat. Granted, I also took a couple year long breaks from Hatrack so I know I missed quite a bit.
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Should you ever feel like catching up, mack (and whatshisname [Wink] ) and many others are mostly over at Sakeriver these days.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anzha:
The first warning shot that ended it all to me was the appearance of Bean Counter, who I think might have actually been malanthrop as well.

Bean Counter was killed in Afghanistan, Feb of 2009.

Malanthrop's intensely entertaining and somewhat surreal final flameout was Nov 2010

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by Anzha:
The first warning shot that ended it all to me was the appearance of Bean Counter, who I think might have actually been malanthrop as well.

Bean Counter was killed in Afghanistan, Feb of 2009.

Malanthrop's intensely entertaining and somewhat surreal final flameout was Nov 2010

*dons flame retardant suit*
Actually I'm not convinced that is true. Someone with the handle of Bean Counter who had remarkably similar beliefs, background, and posting style to our Bean Counter was also posting on Freerepublic from about 1998 until October of 2011. That Bean Counter quit/got banned at Freep because of his disagreement with all the Mormon bashing there.

Yeah I know someone came told us that BC died and linked to the obit of a dead soldier who could have been anybody. No one here actually knew BC's real name. I honestly wouldn't think he'd have cared enough to make sure that the forum where most people disliked him was notified of his death two years after he stopped posting here under his known handles.

I remember malanthrop's flounce very well. [Big Grin]

Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no Aaron, but I think my PPY (post per year) is pretty respectable.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a lurker? I've been around a while...
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I never much came out of Lurker mode, and I know my member number's pretty low...
Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a regu-lurker. Slow and steady posting will win the-- Holy Smokes, 6k+ posts. How'd that happen?!?!
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
So, how often are lurkers comments skipped over by regulars?

I've actually thought quite a bit about this, since there are occasions where I've felt that my comments aren't given the same weight that another person's comments are given. I can see a few possible reasons:

1. The lurker's comments just aren't good enough to warrant too much attention
2. The lurker doesn't interact enough with the community to make responding to their posts a worthwhile endeavor (conversations require engaged parties)
3. The regulars regard the lurker as not a valid entity of the system, so regardless of quality of lurker's contribution it is dismissed as inconsequential.
4. (Most likely) It's all in my head (or maybe it's number 1).

And I guess with that...

/rant (is that how it's done?)

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by happymann:
So, how often are lurkers comments skipped over by regulars?

Presumably that varies for each regular. For myself, I can say (all else being equal) that I'm most likely to respond to users I know and enjoy interacting with; then those I know and am neutral about interacting with; then those I don't really know well enough to have an opinion about; then those I don't know at all; and then those I know and dislike interacting with.

Most days I'll respond to the first two categories, and probably the third. Some days I have the time/energy/interest to respond to the fourth as well. I generally only respond to the last category if it's a topic I feel strongly about, or am bored. [Wink]

As you're somewhere between category 2 and 3 on my list (you post often enough that I recognize your screenname, but infrequently enough that I have no real idea who you are), and many lurkers are somewhere in the 3-4 range, you can do the math. [Big Grin]

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka don't you have a spreadsheet for the posters where you cross-reference them with the topic to generate their total score in any given thread?

You've said before that you don't like me and don't like talking to me( [Frown] ), but when the topic is, say, the correct shorthand for California, you seem to like me okay. [Wink]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeH
Member # 5958

- posted      Profile for JoeH   Email JoeH         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see how I do. I'm guessing I'm one of the "true" lurkers.

PS I love this thread.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Rivka don't you have a spreadsheet for the posters where you cross-reference them with the topic to generate their total score in any given thread?

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

No.

quote:
You've said before that you don't like me and don't like talking to me( [Frown] )

Did I really? I don't think that's quite accurate. I think I said I found certain types of interaction with you frustrating, which is rather different.

quote:
but when the topic is, say, the correct shorthand for California, you seem to like me okay. [Wink]

Strange bedfellows, etc. [Big Grin]
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
JoeH, you and ScottF have roughly the same number of posts per year. But you win on longevity. Congratulations!

Though I'm suspicious of two handles with the same format, so I'm going to go ahead and assume you're both Cedrios and whistle your posts!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
quote:
You've said before that you don't like me and don't like talking to me( [Frown] )

Did I really? I don't think that's quite accurate. I think I said I found certain types of interaction with you frustrating, which is rather different.
At the time I think you worded it a bit more harshly, but I came to realize this must be what you meant after the fact. Still, seeing you say it explicitly makes me happy. [Smile]

Uh, happy that you don't dislike talking to me, that is. Not specifically happy that you find certain types of interaction frustrating. I'm more ambivalent about that.

quote:
quote:

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

No.

Heh, oh, I think you do, your spreadsheet's just in your head! I don't see you spending too much time talking to Blayne about China or Tom about religion or me about politics or Sam about being pretentious. [Wink]

Maybe I just miss those conversations, though.

quote:
quote:
but when the topic is, say, the correct shorthand for California, you seem to like me okay. [Wink]

Strange bedfellows, etc. [Big Grin]
Not so strange!

Every true son or daughter of the Weird Communist Star & Bear Thing We Have On Our Flag knows the right way to shorthand our state.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear cod, I've been here (off and on) more than a decade. How is that possible?!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I don't see you spending too much time talking to Blayne about China or Tom about religion or me about politics or Sam about being pretentious. [Wink]

Maybe I just miss those conversations, though.

Not "miss"; "missed". I hate repeating conversations, especially when it's not only the same conversation, but the same players.

quote:
Every true son or daughter of the Weird Communist Star & Bear Thing We Have On Our Flag knows the right way to shorthand our state.

hah! [Big Grin]
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it ironic, that I have been lurking this thread.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottF
Member # 9356

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
JoeH, you and ScottF have roughly the same number of posts per year. But you win on longevity. Congratulations!

Though I'm suspicious of two handles with the same format, so I'm going to go ahead and assume you're both Cedrios and whistle your posts!

I assume that Cedrios is/was a nefarious poster. It's too bad one can't get their handle verified ala twitter. Would keep things on the up and up. For what it's worth, this is the only place on the whole interwebz (other than twitter and LinkedIn) where I've used my real name.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

I use my real name everywhere.

Though, it's so common that it does provide me with at least a bit of a deniability shield. Not that I really need it.

I also keep most of my various online presences (facebook etc.) pretty much public, because whatever, I never put anything on there that I'm particularly worried about. Mostly just snarking at friends and a bit of arguing politics (surprise!)

It's just so much easier maintaining an online presence if you don't make an ass of yourself and do lots of stuff you need to hide. One of my current employers actually mentioned that my online presence (and it's lack of drunk pics and abundance of witty repartee [Wink] ) was actually a small contributing factor to my getting the gig.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ScottF:
quote:

I assume that Cedrios is/was a nefarious poster. It's too bad one can't get their handle verified ala twitter. Would keep things on the up and up. For what it's worth, this is the only place on the whole interwebz (other than twitter and LinkedIn) where I've used my real name.
We do have a way, though it is pretty old-fashioned, and has a rather sordid history [Wink]

You need to go to one of the informal Hatrack "Cons" that has happened over the years and meet two Hatrackers that can trace their in-person meetings back to the user Slash the Bezerker (who, incidentally, is co-author of a current Hugo Award nominee, with the followup coming out in a couple months!)

At that point, you become "real". And get a delivery of some of rivka's (not-yet-)world-renowned matzoh brei!

[ April 17, 2012, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, I was too young when Hatrack "Cons" still occurred. As such, I never attained status as a real boy.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vasslia Cora:
I find it ironic, that I have been lurking this thread.

Agreed!
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
At that point, you become "real". And get a delivery of some of rivka's (not-yet-)world-renowned matzoh brei!

Woah woah woah... I never knew that becoming real entitled me to any food! I became real in Utah years ago. Porter, beverly, maybe Jon Boy and Brinestone? and I think someone else met me at a pizza place while I was in Park City on a ski trip.

On the topic of lurking, I certainly do it now, though I'm not a dedicated lurker. And by that I mean that while I check in at least every couple of days (which used to mean a lot of catching up to do... not as much now), I also do post occasionally, thus ruining my lurker status.

I go through spurts where I think "I'll get back in to Hatrack or Sake!" and I pop in and have a good time for a bit, but it never lasts. And I'm ok with that. Both certainly played a huge role in my life and I would be sad if they ever went away or I completely severed ties. But lurking on the fringe has its merits I suppose.

ETA: 2005... dang, I'd forgotten it had been that long. I suppose maybe I've lurked longer than I'd thought.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
And get a delivery of some of rivka's (not-yet-)world-renowned matzoh brei!

That service has been discontinued. It seems there were some complaints from someone's neighbors, when they were out of town when their delivery arrived . . .

And something about a Chinese delivery menu. I didn't really understand that part.

Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Alas, I was too young when Hatrack "Cons" still occurred. As such, I never attained status as a real boy.

It's okay, just hop in a car drive to the house of someone who *has* been deemed real. Throw them in your car and drive to the house of a second real hatracker.

Then you too are real! And also possibility a fugitive.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
573 posts. I joined August 2001.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
quote:

It's okay, just hop in a car drive to the house of someone who *has* been deemed real. Throw them in your car and drive to the house of a second real hatracker.

Then you too are real! And also possibility a fugitive.

Sounds worth it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Er, the two real Hatrackers don't have to both be present at the same time, so what's with the kidnapping bit?
Strider
Member # 1807

It's more interesting that way!
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

If there's a kidnapping, then I could be the villain in a buddy cop movie. That's obviously what is with the kidnapping bit. [Big Grin]
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

This could turn into a pretty good story...

Landmark: The Quest to become Real

What would you do to become real?
Action packed and emotionally charged!

Starring: SteveRogers, Rivka, Strider, and many more.

(I have movie trailers playing through me head right now, some of them are really good. Too bad my imagination can't be recorded.)

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Brought to you by HBO.
rivka
Member # 4859

So you're kidnapping Strider, and bringing him to my place, right?

Because I don't have any more vacation days left until July . . .

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Okay but in exchange for some of your matzoh brei.

On the other hand, I hear action movies do better in the summer anyway.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I don't intend to be unreasonable. I'm sure some sort of kidnapping schedule could be arranged which works with everyone's schedule.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Vasslia Cora:
Okay but in exchange for some of your matzoh brei.

Sounds fair. Give me a call when you're a few hours out, and we can probably time it perfectly.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Brought to you by HBO.

Bad idea. HBO would insist on adding at least four or five sex scenes.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Not if we work in collaboration with Tom Hanks's production company.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Peeking out from where I lurk to wave hello. [Wave]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
So you're kidnapping Strider, and bringing him to my place, right?

Because I don't have any more vacation days left until July . . .

It seems that rivka's picked up on my secret plan to trick a Hatracker into picking me up and driving me to meet other jatraqueros!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.