FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cabin in the Woods from Joss Whedon

Author Topic: Cabin in the Woods from Joss Whedon
JimmyCooper
Member # 7434

- posted      Profile for JimmyCooper   Email JimmyCooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Trailer
Has anyone else seen this? It has Fran Kranz, Topher from Dollhouse. Very good take on the whole horror movie genre.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaIeswapper
Member # 7911

- posted      Profile for TaIeswapper   Email TaIeswapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard the name being floated about, but it wasn't until earlier today I realized Joss Whedon was involved. I now want to see it!
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hef
Member # 12497

- posted      Profile for hef           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of all things Whedon. This movie was a little less straight-horror than I expected. Except for the ending, I'd almost argue that this was more comedy than horror. But that's kind of the Whedon style, melding genre.

Curiously, the more I think about the movie, the more I like it. Walking out of the theater, I found it hard to gauge my reaction. It wasn't as satisfying (initially) as I expected it to be. However, this movie really benefits from reflection.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The guy who co-wrote and directed it also wrote for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Alias, LOST, Angel, as well as writing the movie Cloverfield. So, he's worked closely with both Joss Whedon and JJ Abrams on a couple of different projects, so it gives me high hopes for the film when I get the chance to see it. I've heard good things.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Going to see it tomorrow night. I've heard some mixed opinions so far but they may be like hef, where its taking awhile to sink in. So far its got a great rating on rottentomatoes so I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
Whedon also wrote the screenplay for Alien: Resurrection. (Warning: I'm a hardcore Alien fan and won't tolerate any criticism of the franchise.) [Smile]
Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah. But I was talking about the director of Cabin in the Woods, Drew Goddard. [Smile]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from seeing the movie.

It was amazing. I laughed. I screamed. I laughed while screaming.

I also flailed alot.

I think it helped that I went with a good group of friends.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it with my brother the other night, it really is a great movie. I don't want to ruin anything, and no one else should either, this is definitely a movie worth seeing.

Also you might recognize some faces from no only previous Whedon works but Stargate Universe as well.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it. It was excellent. Nobody should watch the trailer, it gives too much away, and I recommend removing it from the opening post. You should not have more information than "it's a horror movie by Joss Whedon."
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like a fun movie. I might have to check it out.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
This movie raised the bar.

I hope there's a sequel, the movie seemed to imply a world wide winning streak for humans versus supernatural horrors that makes me think the balance of forces against the Great Old One's That Sleep may not be radically against us as the Evil MegaCorp people think it is.

So next movie could be like a deconstruction/reconstruction of Kaiju movies like Cloverfield.

Horrifying beyond simply "scaring" you, it was horrifying in a "oh god look at all of those things" and then it got worse with the "oh god look at what all those thngs are doing to those people!".

Marty's actor continues to be awesome.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Was anyone else happy when the monster horde was first freed upon the troops? I was, I was really happy.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I was like "No way, they're really going to do that!?" and was fascinated for 2 seconds and then quickly went to "OH GOD NO WHAT HAVE I DONE!?"

Troops aside, the monsters *did* go after labcoats, interns, secretaries, technitians etc, its possible not even all of them are even *in* on it if they're security clearances and level access is handled right.

Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
Only just watched this movie.

This was flipping awesome!

[/enthusiasm-and-thread-revival]

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the good thing about Whedon doing a horror film is you don't have to wonder which favored character he'll kill off.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
So bitter about Serenity!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yeah the more I think on this movie the less I like its nihilism.
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Yeah the more I think on this movie the less I like its nihilism.

Where do you feel nihilism was represented in this movie?
Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

"Screw the world, let someone else take our place, nothing matters, human society is unworthy of continuing to function." and so on are all pretty indicative of nihilistic attitudes; Whedon's point is supposed to be a critique of the horror industry (and by extension the audience) but I'm more than a little pissed at what I saw "on screen" namely, that despite humans successfully fending off horrible monsters all around the world we'll still probably all die to some other bigger monsters destroying what was otherwise a hopeful message.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:

Bet your boots I am.

But it's not just that, he does it in everything he makes.

Buff, Avengers, Angel, and though I haven't seen it, probably Dollhouse.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:

Bet your boots I am.

But it's not just that, he does it in everything he makes.

Buff, Avengers, Angel, and though I haven't seen it, probably Dollhouse.

Avengers doesn't count.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Dollhouse did it too, but then again Dollhouse was only given two seasons. Upping the stakes by off'ing characters is reasonable with such limitations, and regardless it was fairly balanced affair.

Buffy and Angel I feel are more reasonable as well, they had many seasons; honestly the body count is downright low compared to say any given season of Doctor Who.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think any of his deaths were unreasonable.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I say the deaths in Serenity were -necessary-...to tell the story, to have the impact, because when you decide to kick the government in the face there are costs, the crew knew them, and accepted them because they aren't just good folk, minding their own business, they are gol ram heroes, taking on an evil empire, knowingly shouldering the burden that in all likelihood not a single one would live to tell the tale. Had they all just waltzed out of that sh*t storm smelling like a rose, then it would not have been good storytelling, they are heroes because they accepted the self sacrifice for the good of humanity. Which is kinda the point.

[ October 27, 2012, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Stone_Wolf_ ]

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, with Serenity Whedon accomplished something movies haven't done for me in decades; with one unexpected death he made the last 15 minutes of that movie unpredictable. I honestly had no idea who would make it and who wouldn't, and how often does that happen?

(The death in Avengers was decided before Whedon took the job, so he doesn't get the blame for that one.)

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimmyCooper
Member # 7434

- posted      Profile for JimmyCooper   Email JimmyCooper         Edit/Delete Post 
The BluRay is $7.99 and DVD is $5.99 on Amazon today.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.