FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Weekend In San Diego.

Author Topic: A Weekend In San Diego.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm driving down to San Diego on Friday to help my brother get situated. I'll be flying out Sunday evening. If anybody in the area wants to meet up for lunch/dinner, let me know.

Also if you want souvenirs, say so here.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Down to San Diego from where, out of curiosity?
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Also if you want souvenirs, say so here.

What on earth is a San Diego souvenir?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
PTSD?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to hijack a trolley and ship it to me, that'd be super. Thanks! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
If you want to hijack a trolley and ship it to me, that'd be super. Thanks! [Big Grin]

What? I don't even...
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
PTSD?

I know I will be sorry for asking, but what tangible form would that take?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you could always frame your first rent bill.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan: We drove down from Provo, UT. We made the drive in about 10.5 hours.

Man, the weather here is awesome. We can't wait to nail down where to eat dinner.

A framed rent bill isn't a bad idea. We about puked when we filled up our car here.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:

What? I don't even...
It was an attempt at humor. [Smile]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Do they have trolleys here? I thought that was more a San Fransisco thing.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

This website lead me to think so prior to my request for a trolley, but I also admit to having confused San Diego and San Francisco for some reason. So, not a perfect joke. [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

So, I came here with the intention of finishing The Beyonders and The Hunger Games. Instead, I reread Enchantment by OSC. I think I may actually be coming out of the malaise for books I was in.

Color me pleased.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"What on earth is a San Diego souvenir?"
"PTSD?"
"I know I will be sorry for asking, but what tangible form would that take?"

Hijacking a trolley and shipping it to SteveRogers.

"Do they have trolleys here? I thought that was more a San Francisco thing."

While SanFrancisco has steet cars (electric buses) and cable cars, never heard of any citizen referring to either as a trolley.
For the past ~30years, the Trolley has been to SanDiego what BART is to the SanFranciscoBay area. And both its tourism board and public transportation board have been pushing for the Trolley/SanDiego pairing to match the automatic mental pairing of the cable car with SanFrancisco since the first proposal to build a light rail trolley system there; well before any serious preliminary architectural&industrial designs were submitted for examination, before the proposed routes were anything more than a vague "from downtown to the border".

[ April 29, 2012, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Hijacking a trolley and shipping it to SteveRogers.

Who exactly is going to be traumatized by that? The shipping clerk?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I once got a boat. That was similarly traumatizing.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I certainly wouldn't be traumatized by receiving a trolley; I would be overjoyed. I've often thought it would be really cool to convert trolley or train cars into housing.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I've often thought it would be really cool to convert trolley or train cars into housing.
On the contrary, you would boil in the warmer months.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm not sure if you're pointing out an actual downside or making a pun of my use of the word "cool" in the original post.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
No reason he can't be doing both.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I suppose that's also true. For what it's worth, I do understand that converting train or trolley cars into housing would pose some practical issues.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Such as people trying to board your house whenever it stopped.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Well, my hypothetical intention hadn't been to keep it on working tracks but to have them relocated someplace else and essentially "remodeled" for full time living as applicable. Obviously, this would be an expensive and impractical endeavor. Just something silly the gal and I thought would be cool if possible. [Smile]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

There's a train or trolley car somewhere in old Niwot which has been converted into a house. I'll see if I can't go find it and take pictures.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That's so cool. [Smile] I wouldn't ask you to go out of your way to take pictures of it just for this, but the offer is very kind.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.