FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do it. DO IT. Yesterday is, tomorrow, or .. something? DOOO ITTT, dreams? DO IT. (Page 10)

This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: Do it. DO IT. Yesterday is, tomorrow, or .. something? DOOO ITTT, dreams? DO IT.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by capaxinfiniti:
Who's angry?

I can't imagine you are unaware that the original suspension came as a result of an uproar regarding Robertson's published remarks. And that the suspension itself elicited quite a bit of anger as well. Nothing more need be said about the reversal.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by capaxinfiniti:
Who's angry?

I can't imagine you are unaware that the original suspension came as a result of an uproar regarding Robertson's published remarks. And that the suspension itself elicited quite a bit of anger as well. Nothing more need be said about the reversal.
Oh yeah. I'm aware. Thanks for clarifying. I think there are quite a few people who are mad but now some people will be less mad, including those who are opposed to his remarks but enjoy the show.
Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
are you opposed to his remarks
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
It's what Jesus wants

[ December 29, 2013, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Dogbreath ]

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,

quote:
So aberrant behavior is something to "approve," but religious liberty and freedom of speech would be suppressed by the hypocrites of the political left. They probably think it is great that Quebec has already prosecuted Christians for the "crime" of "hate speech" simply because they quoted passages in the Bible that explicitly identify homosexual behavior as being contrary to the will of the Creator. Freedom of speech seems to be only for those who agree with liberals.
I know your real opposition is tied up in your religious claptrap, but nevertheless it's interesting to hear you condemn it on the basis of its being 'aberrant behavior'. Interesting because your degree of religious fervor, and the extent to which you want your religious ideas to govern everyone else in this country, is surely approaching a status just as aberrant in the broader culture as is homosexuality-if it hasn't exceeded it already.

Anyway, I know you've grown very practiced at not noticing questions you don't have good answers to, but maybe you'll take this chance to preach the word to the heathens: in what way, exactly, is this an example of freedom of speech and religious liberty being violated? I know you're capable of understanding that neither of those principles means someone can say something offensive and lose their private sector, voluntary job which hinges on publicity. I know you can grasp that, at least before you engage that part of your brain that allows you to rewrite events such that black is white and up is down. I'm remembering here the whole Kenyan debacle, and your embarrassment at the hands of Samprimary's use of your own words.

quote:
Liberals also tend to speak up in defense of Islamic jihadists, taking issue with any attempt to accurately portray them. Yet in fact Islam condemns homosexuality as a sin and a punishable crime. "In nine Muslim countries, Afghanistan, Iran, Mauritania, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, the UAE, and Yemen, homosexual activity carries the death penalty." Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_in_Islam
A ridiculous citation of 'hypocrisy' since it's hardly as though 'liberals' are 'rah rah Islamic jihadist homophobia!' They tend to disapprove of it there as well.

-------------------

Reshpeckobiggle,

quote:
What's Ok about putting one's penis in a butthole? Male or female, I make no distinction. Serious question here.
I remember your screen name but not much else, so I'll treat this as you ask: a serious question. My response answer is this. Nothing.

When it's a voluntary physical exchange between adults, I don't think it's very useful to assign a moral value to it one way or another absent any other context-not unlike kissing, or vaginal intercourse. Certainly they feel shades of good to great, but I think most people would agree that the details surrounding the behavior have just as much if not more impact on whether it's 'OK' or not.

Voluntary vaginal intercourse between two consenting heterosexual adults who are nonetheless serial adulterers who engage in sexually risky behavior and endanger subsequent partners? Not 'OK' by most people's standards. Voluntary anal intercourse between two homosexual adults who have been together for years and decades and have built a life together and love one another deeply, and engage in that behavior as an expression of that love, or because they're simply horny and it's fun, or both? I think most people would agree that that is less objectionable than the adulterers on a moral basis. Even people who sternly disapprove of homosexuality, since in this case they're not lying, they're not putting other people at risk, and they're in love with one another.

So my response to you is really this: why isn't it OK? Why do people who wish to engage in this behavior need to solicit your approval? Do you have to run the sexual activity of you and your wife or husband by me and the culture at large before you go ahead? Something else to consider, and something of a red flag on your part: homosexuality isn't just limited to inserting a penis in a 'butthole'. If by some standards it's not OK for two consenting men to do that, is it alright for two women?

What's 'OK' about growing, harvesting, cleaning, cooking, and eating green beans, however prepared, anyway? Serious question. They're gross enough that anyone who likes them is bad, and should feel bad for liking them.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh, they are both business decisions. Was it a stupid comment? Absolutely. A&E had every right to get rid of him.

Likewise, people that fought to have him come back had every right to voice their opinions.

The sponsors had every right to stand by him or against him.

The sponsors chose to stand by him, and other channels offered the Robertsons a place for the show if they left A&E.

A&E made the decision to put him back on. It is the most profitable and highest rated cable show on. Not only that, but let's be honest....The majority of the Duck Dynasty viewership probably agree with Phil Robertson. Gay and Lesbian groups boycotting the show won't affect A&E at all.

I don't think this was a free speech issue at all. It was actually just capitalism doing it's thang.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea this topic existed. What is reality.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Reticulum, Sam changes the name of this thread fairly frequently, often to poke fun at events going on elsewhere on the forum. It was only after you started your Einstein thread that Sam changed this thread's name to " If Reticulum were alive today, would we call him Einstein".
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Oh okay, that makes sense.

*wipes brow*

Phew!

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I realize that your 3:54 post may have been made in jest (and your 4:03 post makes me think that it almost certainly was), but honestly I don't know how to take you, and thought that I'd err on the side of not being a jackass.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
Meh, they are both business decisions. Was it a stupid comment? Absolutely. A&E had every right to get rid of him.

Likewise, people that fought to have him come back had every right to voice their opinions.

The sponsors had every right to stand by him or against him.

The sponsors chose to stand by him, and other channels offered the Robertsons a place for the show if they left A&E.

A&E made the decision to put him back on. It is the most profitable and highest rated cable show on. Not only that, but let's be honest....The majority of the Duck Dynasty viewership probably agree with Phil Robertson. Gay and Lesbian groups boycotting the show won't affect A&E at all.

I don't think this was a free speech issue at all. It was actually just capitalism doing it's thang.

While his removal could be considered an act of hyper-PC vigilance that only seeks to annoy the right, I wonder if something else is in play. I wonder if A&E suspended him in consideration for the members of the film crew and producers who might be GLBT and have to go to that guy's house (or wherever they film the show, I don't watch it) and work with him.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Hmmm, perhaps they should have said something to him, you know, to set guidelines for proper, perhaps formal expectations.

Random Food for thought:

If society never tells someone how it works, can it blame them for breaking its rules?

Reticulum
Member # 8776

Oh, and I am very alive, I'm just waiting to formally publish my theories and mathematics so that I can finally get recognition in the news, which society owes me.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not realize you were alive.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

If I was dead, I couldn't find a way to cure cancer. Think of it that way.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Between years 12-20, I devoted my genius to kindness and all it did was make people hate me and try to ruin to my life, in addition to calling me every name in the book.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Reticulum: You are starting (or are in the midst of) seriously cluttering the forum with all your threads. Would you please consolidate a bit more? Also, I don't hate you or want to ruin your life, and I've certainly never thought to call you a name.

That said, it never ends well when people talk about getting back at people or punishing others for their mistreatment.

Don't pass an evil along that was done to you.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Sure thing.

[ January 03, 2014, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Reticulum ]

Reticulum
Member # 8776

Perception of time = 1/Dendritic expansion(b)

The rate at which we perceive the passage of time is a function of the rate at which our Neurons and dendrites are expanding and connecting.

That is to say, a brain's perception of the rate at which time passes is inversely proportional to the rate at which our neurons and dendrites are connecting.

As we get older, our dendrites expand and connect at a decreasing rate, which makes time appear to pass faster.

If dendritic expansion is occurring at an increasing rate, then our perception of time would occur at a decreasing rate.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

The faster dendrites connect, the slower you perceive time.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

On a positive, longer term note:

There are structures and apertures inherently imbedded within the mind of man, which, upon actualization, should result in a more harmonious human society, contingent upon the acceleration of the rate at which kind acts are performed within any given population density.

Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry. Some of us do, actually, hate you. You're likely delusional. And even if you're not, you're an annoying egomaniac.
Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Is it not the nature of human brains to direct their attention towards the most complex brains?

Are individuals not remembered in history in proportion to the complexity of their brains?

MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
People are remembered for aberration. Sometimes it's a good aberration (Einstein), sometimes bad (Hitler), and sometimes it's just plain aberrant (Gallagher, inscrutable forum posters).
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
You're not inscrutable. You're just grandstanding and spamming the cap out of this board,seeking attention and validation.
Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I think most people value attention and validation so that's hardly worthy of condemnation.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think it's his means, not his motives, that are being condemned. Most people value money, too, but we still condemn bank robbers.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Reticulum,

Serious question:

Might Reticulum be having a psychotic break? About a year ago, someone started making very similar posts (the threads got deleted), and many posters replied, "Hey, you are having a psychotic break?" The poster was like "No, I'm not." Anyway, fast forward a few months later, and the poster came back on, and was like "So guys, turns out I had a psychotic break."

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

reticulum do you smoke
Reticulum
Member # 8776

tan((x-1)^2-(y-1)^2) = 1 creates a fractal.

When you discover equations for fractals, you may demand attention.

Desmos.com/calculator

Humor me here.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

do you smoke
Samprimary
Member # 8561

reticulum do you smoke cigarettes
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Why do you ask?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
Reticulum,

Serious question:

Might Reticulum be having a psychotic break? About a year ago, someone started making very similar posts (the threads got deleted), and many posters replied, "Hey, you are having a psychotic break?" The poster was like "No, I'm not." Anyway, fast forward a few months later, and the poster came back on, and was like "So guys, turns out I had a psychotic break."

Yes. Same person.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

phanto and reticulum are the same person?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
They are not. Two different people.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

ok. because i think that's what theamazeeaz is referencing is the glod and mial thing, and that was a different person, who got help and is i hope doing ok, because they were doing something very similar.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
They are not. Two different people.

Really?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I think I may have confused Ret with somebody else I had to run to ground a while back, actually. For all I know, let's say it's possible that Ret is in fact phanto.

[ January 05, 2014, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

Yes! The glod and mial thing with Phato. Same thing, just god themed (though now this is going that way). Some of the threads got deleted and I didn't remember the posters' name, so I couldn't search for it.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
This board really has taken a bizarre turn over the last couple weeks.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

It has been cycling through several different types of bizarre recently, that's for sure
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

In other news, I made the parmesan sticks from this webpage today.

http://brokeassgourmet.com/articles/the-wonders-of-pizza-dough

Yummy!

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Katanas aren't "terrible swords" but they aren't close to the best either. The Desert Eagle is a terrible handgun however, unless you are playing a video game, in which case it's the only handgun you need.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

I disagree. NES Zapper!
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
ok. because i think that's what theamazeeaz is referencing is the glod and mial thing, and that was a different person, who got help and is i hope doing ok, because they were doing something very similar.

Last post was nearly two years ago, with her apparently well on the road to recovery. I'd forgotten, but hopefully things have continued to improve in her absence.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
The Desert Eagle is a terrible handgun however, unless you are playing a video game, in which case it's the only handgun you need.

Agreed. I've never used one in real life, but it's pretty awesome in Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. I doubt any real-life handgun would be so great at getting head shots from long range.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
The Desert Eagle is a terrible handgun however, unless you are playing a video game, in which case it's the only handgun you need.

Agreed. I've never used one in real life, but it's pretty awesome in Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. I doubt any real-life handgun would be so great at getting head shots from long range.
They are the best pistol in Counterstrike and Left 4 Dead 1 | 2 as well.

I've seen them fired in real life, it's like trying to hold a mini howitzer in your hand.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Katanas aren't "terrible swords" but they aren't close to the best either. The Desert Eagle is a terrible handgun however, unless you are playing a video game, in which case it's the only handgun you need.

It depends entirely on what you're using it for. There really is no "best" sword if you're talking about functionality because different swords are better for different situations.

The Katana and the gladius are great for fighting zombies, because they're unarmored and they are great cutting weapons, but a katana is not great against armor or the best in sword to sword combat. A claymore is going to be better at cutting armor, or those viking swords made of advanced steel.

If by best you mean the quality or manufacturing process, katanas are some of the more advanced designs, but they're not like Damascus steel or something.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
or those viking swords made of advanced steel.

Ulfbert FTW, [Big Grin]
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.