FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Elder Scrolls MMORPG

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls MMORPG
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Kotaku

Details at IGN

Sounds like just another World of Warcraft clone. Too bad, really. I was hoping for more [Frown]

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It's gone to plaid. An elder scrolls game that is also an MMO. The bugs will be so numerous that they may begin to collapse in on themselves like a dying star.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst thing they could do is make it a WoW clone. Make it 3rd person and you kind of lose the entire Elder Scrolls feel to it. The only time I went into 3rd person mode in an Elder Scrolls game was to see how high I was really jumping.

The screenshots don't help either. The graphics don't look as good as Oblivion or Skyrim. Granted it is still a long ways off and anything can change, but it isn't looking too promising right now.

I would give it a shot if it played like Oblivion or Skyrim. PvP would be more fun that way as well.

It is too early to pass judgement, but so far I'm not impressed.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

I think disappointment is the general consensus. That's a very depressing thought, considering that so many people were hoping they'd eventually make it. Now that they are, I kinda wish they weren't.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
They're confused about why people play TES. Or they smell cash and don't care.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly wasn't very impressed with Skyrim either.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be pretty surprised if this turned out to be a success. I myself have no desire to play it, and considering I've played at least seven different MMO games, you'd think I'd be at least be somewhat interested.

It just looks completely uninspiring.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks worse than uninspiring. It looks like lore poison. Tiresome MMO convention splits the races into factions, and the history of the world builds up to the point of "the entire world is at the brink of war!!!!1 choose your side!!!1"
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Ah, and I see that they are making the age-old, well-worn promise that they will "offer players the opportunity to break away from the holy trinity"

This quote spells disaster in a myriad of hilarious ways.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The amusing thing about this is that an Ultima Online model would work almost perfectly for Bethesda, here, IMO.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

A UO model is dated enough in terms of gaming preference and model behavioral reward archetype that it is considered far too remarkably niche to attract the kind of sustainable audience needed to justify initial development costs.

20k diehards ain't enough to float the development moneysink that applies to today's MMO's with today's MMO graphical and gameplay standards.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

It's remarkable how wrong this thing seems to be going. I get sad every time I think about it [Frown]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

It really is a terrible project bound to fail which cannot even in the prospective developmental and marketing phase provide an inch of confidence in the project. At least all other essentially doomed, sterile MMO conversion ideas had the good sense to fool the crap out of us.

This is the perfect project to be horrified by.

- It involves an adapted franchise that would have all of its most notable elements (in fact, really anything that makes it worth playing) absolutely ruined by the necessary structures and contrivances of MMOs

- It comes at a time in which people have long since become rightfully jaded about MMO's and rightfully reluctant to invest time in Yet Another MMO, since they all seem to follow the same pattern: exhausting people's tolerance with balance issues and bugs, then fading into ghost servers which leave the remainder in a cascade of leavers who feel like their achievements have become meaningless in a social vacuum.

- Where other MMO cash grabs have been similarly fated to the same ignominious end as what we now ruefully anticipate for World of Elder Scrolls Online Quest, they at least managed to string people along with really exciting ideas, stills, or concepts that really make it sound like this time, it could be different™ — whereas with this, the promotional developmental material and commentary is a smorgasboard of MMO development red flags that should warn off any savvy player. They might as well have said "We are invested in throwing money at a really generic and forgettable MMO which fills no niche, won't hold a lot of interest, is poorly designed because of how quickly we had to ratchet backwards from our overconfident original design theory, and will be free to play in months assuming it ever really comes out under the same publisher."

- Top that with a release promo ingame screen which screams 'extremely generic' and we're off to the races

Guessing a better than 50% chance (wish it were more) that the title just gets canceled outright.

[ May 09, 2012, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Samprimary ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'm going to be truly excited for an MMORPG until I read up on Blizzard's Titan project.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
- Where other MMO cash grabs have been similarly fated to the same ignominious end as what we now ruefully anticipate for World of Elder Scrolls Online Quest, they at least managed to string people along with really exciting ideas, stills, or concepts that really make it sound like this time, it could be different™ — whereas with this, the promotional developmental material and commentary is a smorgasboard of MMO development red flags that should warn off any savvy player. They might as well have said "We are invested in throwing money at a really generic and forgettable MMO which fills no niche, won't hold a lot of interest, is poorly designed because of how quickly we had to ratchet backwards from our overconfident original design theory, and will be free to play in months assuming it ever really comes out under the same publisher."

Lol, the trademark and 'World of Elder Scrolls Online Quest' made me laugh. All good points, though, Samp. Very interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I don't think I'm going to be truly excited for an MMORPG until I read up on Blizzard's Titan project.

I need more information about this. What is it?

Samprimary
Member # 8561

Haha, thanks. I like to hope I am not too jaded, as I myself was employed to make a terrible mmo and I got to watch the process from within.

quote:
I need more information about this. What is it?
Noooobody knows. We just know it is going to be their new post-WoW flagship mmo. Maybe.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.