FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Creepy Stephen King story

Author Topic: Creepy Stephen King story
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Creepy Stephen King story.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vegimo
Member # 12618

- posted      Profile for vegimo           Edit/Delete Post 
That has been one of my favorites since the first time I read it.
Posts: 95 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
About twenty years ago, a friend of mine told me about this story, though he never told me the title. It was at a time when you couldn't pay me to read a Stephen King story. It creeped me out then, and his description still creeps me out. I think I will read it now.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Since this seems to be an appropriate place for it - I have read quite a few of SK's short fiction, but the only novel of his that I have read is The Shining. Although I thought it was a great book, I didn't really find it all that scary. Can anyone give me an opinion of what SK's scariest novel is? (I have the long version of The Stand, but I haven't read it yet.)
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of thing scares you? (Based on what I know about you, I'm going to say Pet Sematary is a likely candidate, but you may have interesting phobias. *grin*)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

Well, I'm not really sure; horror is something I'm still relatively new to.

Some of the most frightening short stories I've read are: "The Trapdoor" and "Mars is Heaven!" by Bradbury, and "Forms of Things Unknown" by C.S. Lewis (which is a story I have yet to discover has been read by anyone but me), and "The Red Room" by H.G. Wells. I haven't read any horror novels (other than aforementioned "The Shining").

"The Blair Witch Project" scared the fricken bejeezus out of me. I couldn't sleep for three days afterwards.

I suppose ghosts frighten me. Of the horror fiction I've read, ghost stories are the ones I've decided are bad for me to read at night. Pet Sematery always looked to me (I could be wrong) like it was a zombie story. Zombies I just find gross and a little silly.

In fact, I'm new enough to horror that I wouldn't limit myself to a recommendation for something by Stephen King.

Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
The scariest (or at least most suspenseful) Stephen King book I've ever read was Misery. They took all the most terrifying bits out of the movie, so don't judge it by that if you've seen it.

I quite like Stephen King, although many of the books I like best aren't "scary" as such. When he's on, he's just a really good storyteller who's been typecast as Mr. Horror.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

Thanks, Speed, I have not seen the movie.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading about Jaunt and I thought it sounded awesome. They should really dig that back up and use it for something (like a film). It seemed like a really cool story.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
The Jaunt is a great story. IMO his best book is Salem's Lot. It's not terrifyingly scarey but it is pretty creepy.

I have read a majority of his books, he's one of my favorite authors. His short stories are very good, I highly recommend his ss anthologies.

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Stand, but do yourself a favor and skip the extended version...it isn't better, just longer.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Pet Semetary is a good one, as is IT.

I thought Apt Pupil was creepy as hell, but it was a Bachman book, I think it is a novella....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
'Salem's Lot is my favorite King book. I wouldn't call it scary, though.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Eyes of the Dragon" is my favorite SK book. Not scary at all.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the story, 'The Jaunt.' It was a fairly boring SF short until the end when the son goes off the deep end. The end is probably the only reason why I remember it.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.