FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We've got your Ansible, right here

Author Topic: We've got your Ansible, right here
Tovarich Volk
Member # 12847

- posted      Profile for Tovarich Volk           Edit/Delete Post 
I just ran across this article and thought it was interesting:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/76094.html

Wanna take a guess what it's going to be called in slang, and who will be credited for the name?

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't be OSC. He borrowed the term/concept from another author.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tovarich Volk
Member # 12847

- posted      Profile for Tovarich Volk           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, my bad on that.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem. This actually isn't the first thread about the quantum entanglement/teleportation and its possible usage as a FTL communication which has led to comparisons to the Ansible.

I thought that in one of them the idea was argued against by someone knowledgeable in quantum physics (KoM?), but I can't seem to find that post in the forum search.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
While 'Quantum Teleportation' sounds too much like you could accidentally end up as a baseball player in the 1950s, needing to score a home run and talking to a badly dressed hologram, it would be amazing to be able to talk to people on Mars or even eight hundred miles away on a Skype-like system as if you were in the room and without any delay whatsoever.

Sometimes even phoning home drives me mad, with all the cut-offs and blips.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I look forward to the day when I can take a quick spaceflight to Mars and lounge around the day lounge, while skyping my family in Florida, right after I've taken my daily immortality pill along with my daily "stay fit and super attractive and can eat whatever I want" pill.

Oh, what fun the future will be.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. It's not instant. You cannot transmit information faster than the lightspeed barrier. The 'futurist' they quote doesn't know what he's talking about, and the actual scientists were apparently not quoted when they said things like "of course it's not FTL", which I'm sure they did unless they considered it so obvious as to be not worth mentioning. Note that any quote that looks like it comes from one of the actual researchers talks about cryptography and security.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
You cannot transmit information faster than the lightspeed barrier.

Too bad so many journalists don't seem to believe this. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
You cannot transmit information faster than the lightspeed barrier.

Too bad so many journalists don't seem to believe this. [Razz]
This should be qualified to say that you cannot transmit information faster than the lightspeed barrier . . . through quantum teleportation, following existing theories and practicum. It doesn't technically break the lightspeed barrier, but wormholes are still an option. Especially when combined with the theoretical possibility of wormhole generation through quantum foam (the kind of quantum teleportation that many of the pop-sci kids are imagining).
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
It doesn't technically break the lightspeed barrier, but wormholes are still an option. Especially when combined with the theoretical possibility of wormhole generation through quantum foam (the kind of quantum teleportation that many of the pop-sci kids are imagining).

I am a huge fan of Kip Thorne, and one of my all-time-favorite spec fic stories is Ted Chiang's The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate.

Nonetheless, it's important to remember that generating wormholes from quantum foam is purely theoretical at this point, and I would be surprised if it were anything more during my lifetime -- or yours.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

True. I'm not saying that any of it is possible. Only that the theoretical models are currently considered valid. Then again, there have been a lot of wonky models out there. It just takes scientific application awhile (sometimes hundreds of years) to prove / disprove. And with some of these quantum theories, it may take thousands of years -- if ever.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Right. But this article, and the slew of related articles, are all talking about current research, not just theoretical models.
Aros
Member # 4873

Heck, I know. I was commenting on KoM's post. Theoretically, it may be possible to transmit information faster than lightspeed (by workarounds). But he stated pretty definitively that you cannot. Maybe it would be more apt to say that you cannot within any known current and emergent technologies.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.