FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Room temperatures

Author Topic: Room temperatures
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
All right. I will admit to one single, solitary advantage of the ridiculous Fahrenheit temperature scale: It enables you to say "room-temperature IQ" without being hyperbolic. On a Fahrenheit scale there really are people whose IQ would be a reasonable room temperature.

On the other hand, in Celsius you could say "boiling-water IQ" and still be pretty insulting.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Is an IQ of 100 all that insulting? I was under the impression that it was (exactly) average.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes? The average human is thick as two short bricks. Besides, I didn't specify the atmospheric pressure. The higher you climb, the more insulting it gets. [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Kelvin. 0 Kelvin everything dies, 100 Kelvin everything dies.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I never trusted IQ tests. Some of my friends are "thick as two short bricks" (I simply love this phrase, KoM, thank you!) and yet claim to have gotten over 130 in their IQ tests.

Celsius rules. Metric system rules. You should take example from your northern friend.

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The absolute most hopeless, clueless, worthless human being I work with is in Mensa. I am surprised he figured out how to type while simultaneously breathing.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
If they took online IQ tests, then they likely aren't valid.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I prefer Kelvin. 0 Kelvin everything dies, 100 Kelvin everything dies.

0 Kelvin is only theoretical. And everything dies way before it gets down to 100 K.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

Nah, there are bacteria that survived going to moon and back. Persisent little things.
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

They may have gone to the moon, but it doesn't follow that their temperature dropped to 100 Kelvin. The spaceships had to be kept at a temperature suitable for humans at least internally, and in fact getting rid of excess heat was a problem: Vacuum is an excellent insulator.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
If they took online IQ tests, then they likely aren't valid.

No, he is legitimately Mensa.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the worst things that ever happened to me is finding out my IQ as a child...like giving a monkey a live hand grenade. Took me a decade to stop telling people about how "gifted" I was and all.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
You had to tell people? I think that was your first clue right there.

*Sarcasm, because you're doing exactly the same thing while claiming not to do it anymore, which I find legitimately tickling.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
They may have gone to the moon, but it doesn't follow that their temperature dropped to 100 Kelvin. The spaceships had to be kept at a temperature suitable for humans at least internally, and in fact getting rid of excess heat was a problem: Vacuum is an excellent insulator.

NASA'a page:
The 50-100 organisms survived launch, space vacuum, 3 years of radiation exposure, deep-freeze at an average temperature of only 20 degrees above absolute zero, and no nutrient, water or energy source.

If I aren't much mistaken, that's 20 kelvin.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
The absolute most hopeless, clueless, worthless human being I work with is in Mensa. I am surprised he figured out how to type while simultaneously breathing.

Because IQ tests measure a very specific aptitude, having nothing to do with a person's ability to function in polite society?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

El JT de Spang, besides calling him worthless, Sam also mentioned he is surprised to see him breathing and typing at the same time. I think one might say it's Sam's judgment on guy's intelligence. You'd expect someone in mensa to be smarter.
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Szymon:
quote:

NASA'a page:
The 50-100 organisms survived launch, space vacuum, 3 years of radiation exposure, deep-freeze at an average temperature of only 20 degrees above absolute zero, and no nutrient, water or energy source.

It is, but I want to know how they measured it. At that sort of temperature metal behaves strangely and electronics go wonky; I'd be surprised that the probe survived, never mind the bacteria. If it's a theoretical calculation based on some model of the probe, well.
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Szymon:
quote:

NASA'a page:

It is, but I want to know how they measured it. At that sort of temperature metal behaves strangely and electronics go wonky; I'd be surprised that the probe survived, never mind the bacteria. If it's a theoretical calculation based on some model of the probe, well.
And I'm sure that your offhand conjecture is more accurate than that of NASA scientists.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

Well, I don't know, I just trust them. Those bacteria where found on Surveyor 3 by astronauts from the Apollo mission. They were:

recovered from inside its camera that was brought back to Earth under sterile conditions by the Apollo 12 crew

I suppose they assumed that the temperature inside the camera was the same as surface's. After three years, it probably did cool down to 20 kelvin. Of course "living" is a bit of an exaggeration. They were hibernated. But, well, they did survive.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:

Because IQ tests measure a very specific aptitude, having nothing to do with a person's ability to function in polite society?
It isn't even really about his ability how to function in polite society, any society, or even 'a desk job.' He is witless, he has absolutely no sense, changing his routines leaves him hopelessly befuddled and useless for weeks, and it comes paired with a Lambertian inability to course-correct even when he is distinctly imperiling his job (or what's left of it, him having been shifted steadily down to level one service desk) by being a complete dolt.

But I'll sure give it to him, he sure can kick the crap out of an IQ test or a rubik's cube good job bro go back into a parked car again in the company lot that's always a blast

Samprimary
Member # 8561

update on high-iq "exceptional individual" — E.I. tickets things like "unit electrical control pressure switch is acting contra-normal." We get to sit around and find out he is saying "my computer's power switch doesn't work" but instead of english he likes to use a new language called "look at me i am so smart"

contra-normal is now a thing, we say it all the time. also everyone hates him.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Intelligence tests, like any kind of test, must have some value in determining a person's ability to do things. However, it doesn't follow that the skills the person demonstrates will necessarily be applicable or available outside of the test environment, or exist in a combination that has a practical use in a majority of situations.

On top of that, British Mensa's description of how to find the "class bright spark" I find hugely suspect. For example, I do not agree that poor handwriting is a case of "the hand not being able to keep up with the brain". Lots of very bright people write either slowly or clearly. Nor do I agree that the most academically apt person in the class struggles to maintain friendships more or less than anyone else. In fact, any one of these could describe someone of almost every level of intelligence (although a good memory/recall does seem to be a particularly useful skill).

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
update on high-iq "exceptional individual" — E.I. tickets things like "unit electrical control pressure switch is acting contra-normal." We get to sit around and find out he is saying "my computer's power switch doesn't work" but instead of english he likes to use a new language called "look at me i am so smart"

contra-normal is now a thing, we say it all the time. also everyone hates him.

Please continue to update here, because I am enjoying the crap out of reading about this guy.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

E.I. keeps the rubiks cube and Mensa newsletters perched even more visibly on the outside edge of his desk; he is positioning them specifically to ensure that whoever walks by his desk sees them. He has been bounced off of service desk because that involved actually 'communicating' with people and trying to work out what 'they need' to be 'helped' with and that is right out. He has several computer and cellphone alarms which go off frequently as 'day and life reminders' whether or not he is at his desk and it has drawn his most immediately proximate coworkers close to the rain-slick precipice of murderous intent. If he is off service desk I think that makes it so that I have him next.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
This seemed incredibly relevant.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

My friends say they'll give me a copy of x-com if I get in an argument with him about katanas
Samprimary
Member # 8561

"friends"
Szymon
Member # 7103

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=477377515616598&set=a.456449604376056.98921.367116489976035&type=1&theater
That's what someone was talking about [Wink]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

I have dodged having E.I. as a responsibility. E.I. now has a phone with aux codes. Since a phone with aux codes breaks his routine, his comfort zone has been demolished and he has lobbied an incessant amount of complaints. At no point comes any sort of resignation to using a phone with aux codes, or, for that matter, learning how to use said phone as a job requirement. I am watching the aux code monitor and he has been in "break" for 4 hours.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.