FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Predictions/hopes for the Enderverse future (spoilers)

Author Topic: Predictions/hopes for the Enderverse future (spoilers)
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading Shadows in Flight and it got me thinking about where things could go from here.

Personally, I think OSC is going to make Bean's descendants the Descaladores. It makes sense, especially when you take into consideration what happens at the end of SiF. But then, maybe his kids don't do that. I guess anything's possible at this point. Do the kids set off in search of the Hive Queen with the formic males? That would make sense, too, after all, so maybe they aren't the Descaladores, after all.

Aside from that, do you guys think OSC will completely stop after Shadows Alive? I know we've got the prequel series going on, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to reading it.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some other perspectives on this.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Personally, I think OSC is going to make Bean's descendants the Descaladores. It makes sense"
Well in the sense that it doesn't actually make sense at all, that the Descaladores need to have existed like half a million years in the past, and there's never been a hint of time-travel (by which I obviously mean *backwards* time-travel) as existing in the Enderverse universe....

...but OSC tends to be so uncaring about continuity between his books that I wouldn't really be surprised at all if he did that.

But don't delude yourself into thinking that it would "make sense". No, no, it really wouldn't.

Posts: 676 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the nature of the anisibles, the philotic web, and this other space Jane can wink people in and out of definitely makes time travel reasonable in the Enderverse.

But I don't think that would be a could plot twist.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

It's been a while since I read CotM...why would they have to exist half a million years in the past?
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
The planet would need time to evolve?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
It's been a while since I read CotM...why would they have to exist half a million years in the past?

Because the forensic evidence collected by Miro and Val indicate that the Descolada has been spread within a cone of space on planets that have been infected with the virus for at least that long. And the analysis of Lusitania's biosphere indicates that the Descolada has been present for at least 100,000 years. In order for the Legumenotes to be responsible for the descolada, they would have had to spread it across scores of planets and reach as far as Lusitania in 2500 years or less- considerably less time than is allowed by simple logistical problems.

No, the setup of the Legumenotes makes more sense if they are called upon to intervene in the situation on the Descalador planet. These beings have been sending out viral probes to collect information (or colonize), for at least half a million years. And the Legumenotes are the relatives of humanity with the greatest knowledge of genetic and viral sciences.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Well, it's doubtful they'd be called upon since they destroyed their Ansible, so how do you think they'll find the Lusitanians?

Also, forgive me for my lack of memory. It's been years since I read the other books, unfortunately. Having read what you've all said, I can see that it's an impossible scenario.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.