FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » League of Legends (Page 6)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: League of Legends
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like support is the least likely of all the positions to be taken by somebody who is good at it. There's a bajillion mids, tops, and adcs out there, but not so many jungles and supports.

So, I feel like were I to try doing another position in ranked, my odds of having a team with a shoehorned support go up, so my chances of winning go down.

Interestingly enough, when I have been forced out of support by a duo team, I usually do Riven top, and have done quite well with her.

I *really* don't enjoy J4th. I know he is fantastic in the jungle, but I just dislike his kit, and never feel like I am playing him correctly.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I had one of those days, BB...Went from 2 points away from the Silver IV series to get *back* to Silver III (Where I started) to Silver V. That was after getting 6 straight victories at mid with Viktor (Seriously, no one knows how to counter him. It's hilarious to play him in ranked and S3 items really make him evil in teamfights). Every single one of those losses was due to someone trolling the team and either ignoring position calls or getting pissy in game and feeding like crazy.

Still, ranked play has kind of supercharged my desire to play LoL...I used to be 1-2 rounds a day or less. Now I've been running as many as 5-6 rounds in a single day, depending on my work schedule. The game is a lot different when winning actually means something (also, getting stuck with a troll is *much* more maddening in ranked play).

And as for Jungle Leona, the first round I saw that in I thought it was a troll. We ended up going about 30-5 and I got about 12 of those kills myself. It was awesome.

I can't do support. I just can't. I can usually do well enough for the laning phase, but about the time I'm supposed to be warding the whole map, I just suck it up hardcore and my team starts bitching at me relentlessly. I'm really bad about warding.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I might try Leona in the jungle in non-ranked tonight. If it works, great, I open up my utility as a player.

I do need to hit the bricks again and try to get some wins in. I will be seriously put out if I managed to get myself in Division III again.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Slump is over. I'm still nervous about playing ranked again.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
you can do it! (in a fake cajun accent)
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Leona got banned out, so I played Nami. Of course we won handily. I don't know anything about predicting these outcomes anymore.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not yet over but no matter who wins it, you guys have to watch Copenhagen Wolves vs Evil Geniuses in LCS Europe Week 6. It's just crazy.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

The game is over and now the teams are both in the middle of the scene, both smiling and talking about it. Just awesome. [Smile]

By the way, here's a direct link so that no one spoils the result for you: http://vods.leaguepedia.com/wolves-vs-lcs-2013-eu-spring-w6d2/

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

This is the second really crazy game from CW, after their game vs Fnatic in week 4.

[ March 25, 2013, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
The game is over and now the teams are both in the middle of the scene, both smiling and talking about it. Just awesome. [Smile]

By the way, here's a direct link so that no one spoils the result for you: http://vods.leaguepedia.com/wolves-vs-lcs-2013-eu-spring-w6d2/

Thanks! Watching right now.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Way to not spoil the result in one post only to do it in the next one. Go me. [Razz]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Way to not spoil the result in one post only to do it in the next one. Go me. [Razz]

It was suitably ambiguous that I couldn't be sure. I certainly wasn't when I watched the game. That dual split push strategy (especially without teleport on Zed or Shen, only Stand United for Shen) could have easily cost them the game if EG had wisened up to it a bit earlier. Seeing Renekton get pummeled in duels was kinda satisfying. I don't think I've ever seen him walloped like that.
Corwin
Member # 5705

I'm sensing some incoming nerfs for Zed, and maybe Kha'Zix... Not sure about Kayle. She is very strong but it's her ultimate that makes her extremely valuable in competitive games, and changing it would be changing Kayle completely.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I think I'd balance it by having Kayle's ultimate last the full duration on herself, but only about 1 second on allies. Sorta like Taric's heal. It's more effective on himself than on allies.

That way in team fights, which often involve focusing one person down immediately, you don't get automatically shutdown by Kayle's ultimate, unless you go for her. She can still mess teams up with her E and the splash dmg, if she ults herself, she can also give an ally the ability to survive an engagement at least for a moment. Which can give them the time to use their own kit.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

1 win, 2 losses. This evening feels like such a waste.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still completely clueless about this game. On the surface it seems fairly simple, but so does a game of GO...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
this is a game that has its own vehicle language by now

woe betide the non-MOBA player who gets stuck around friends discussing lol

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I am still completely clueless about this game. On the surface it seems fairly simple, but so does a game of GO...

I think watching a couple of tournament level games helps you realize the intricacies of the strategy.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I get a little tired of the meta-solidarity that exists in solo play. I mean, there are some really *really* evil ability combos that you just can't pull off without good coordination. For instance, I was in one round with a Skarner that seemed to work really well with my Vik. He pulled people right into my gravity well and by the time they could move again they were pretty much dead. We pulled that off about 10 times in a single game and were giving each other high fives (in a virtual sense). Too bad I'm a hermit or I would have friended him.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Oh, I am definitely close to smacking into the wall of what is possible in that game by yourself. If I wanted to keep improving, I think it's purely a matter of joining a team and making it a serious hobby.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Curse just destroyed Dignitas. Very, very impressive. They did benefit from a level one fight that went heavily in their favor, but they slowed down a bit afterwards, only to come back even stronger and dominate the rest of the game.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I'm missing everything today. :\

But I should catch tomorrow's games.

Corwin
Member # 5705

It was kinda clash of the titans day: TSM vs CLG, Dig vs Curse, TSM vs Dig and CLG vs Curse. Haven't seen the last two, but I'm going to watch them today as well.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

If you are trying to become a serious player, Riot is running a "buy one get one free" rune page deal either for IP points our Riot point.

You should have somewhere between 5-6 pages for when you ladder climb.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Nice to see people trying new champions lately in the LCS. Prolly from complexity played Ziggs and Annie, and Snoopeh from EG played jungle (AP) Malzahar.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Now Alex Ich playing Fizz vs Fnatic. This should be interesting. [Big Grin]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

LCS Europe was more interesting than NA this weekend. SK and Gambit Gaming was a surprising matchup.

So I won a ranked game, then turned around and lost a ranked game. We obliterated bottom so hard. Honestly, I think it's kinda garbage that the solution to supports getting GP5 items is to increase *everybody's* gold rates. Every single game that goes long, the Top, Mids, Jungle, and ADCs are sitting on 4-5 completed items, while I have something like an aegis, and maybe something else.

I had about 4K gold less than everybody else in the game. Even their ADC who we massacred 4 times before taking the tower had several thousand on me.

The talents for increasing gold are crap, they need to increase the supports gold income significantly, while flat out ignoring every other role since they get their gold through minions. There's nothing *fun* about supports just completely having less item choices than every single other role.

Corwin
Member # 5705

I'm not sure how they could only increase gold for supports exactly... There's no telling who's gonna be a support. And if it works by some tag Riots puts on supports, it would only mean that some champions that are now played as supports would not be viable anymore, like Elise, Zyra or Lux. And on the other hand, some champions that are now played almost exclusively as supports could become viable/very powerful mid laners; maybe Lulu, Janna or Sona.

They could do something "artificial" like giving gold only if that person doesn't get any from minions/monsters for a period of time. Might make some junglers gank more at the expense of farming the jungle though, and leave the lanes to pick the small buffs. But junglers don't get the most gold anyway, so who knows...

Corwin
Member # 5705

There's actually a very recent article about supports and gold on reignofgaming: http://www.reignofgaming.net/blogs/a-different-view/gentleman-gustaf/23905-design-change-2-for-a-better-lol-supports

There's also a thread on the NA forum about solutions similar to the one I proposed: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3185560. Which turns out to have its own problems.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Getting out of Silver I is freaking hard! I get like 5-6 league points for a victory and lose as many for a loss. I remember the good old days where I got 20ish points for a win.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Fnatic and Gambit have already qualified for the semifinals in LCS EU. The other teams are all too far away to catch up with them. SK and EG (I think) are also safely in the quarters.

I'm really curios to see how Wolves are going to do and, if they do qualify, who's gonna be the unlucky team to play against them in the quarterfinals. [Smile]

In NA, Curse, TSM, Dig and CLG are already qualified for the quarters, and except for CLG the others three can still end up in the top two. Curse have the easiest match ups, and TSM face Dignitas in one of their games, so Curse is pretty safe unless all results go against them. I wonder if Complexity will manage to qualify; they did go 2-1, even beating Dignitas, but the do have a match against Curse that can put them out directly.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I'm definitely excited about today's games. I think GGU V CLG is *the* game to watch today.

I think GGU needs to go back to their off the wall style. The structured, farm farm farm, wait for that one mistake style just doesn't seem to suit them.

Corwin
Member # 5705

I didn't see their game against Curse yesterday, I'll probably watch the VOD this weekend.

In EU today the only (mild) surprise was aAa beating EG, the rest of the games kinda went to the favorites, although there were some close ones. Giants dominated Gambit for a while, with an extremely powerful Kassadin, but in the end Gambit managed to win. They did split their series, 2-2, which is quite a feat against Gambit.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Wow... CLG managed to somehow lose their game against MRN. Or rather against Nientonsoh. That comeback was impressive!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Can't believe CLG threw that game. I'm watching Curse and Complexity. I expect complexity to not just lie down, but Curse should be able to win this won handily.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Ok, what's happening here?! Complexity winning vs Curse?! So many place swaps can still happen because of this...
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Curse made me want to believe they could surge back and take everything. I really wonder how the fact Curse could afford to lose this game while Complexity could not affected effort on both teams.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Well... If Curse also lose their second game, Dig wins both games, and TSM wins vs GGU and loses vs Dig then TSM will be first, and Curse and Dig would end up with the same number of wins. Not sure what the tie-breaks are though, or what the direct match-up results are. But yeah, there are still a lot of things that should go wrong for Curse to lose a guaranteed semifinal spot.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

TSM wins....what the what?
Corwin
Member # 5705

First expected victory here. Too bad I can't watch the rest of the games, going to sleep now.
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
TSM wins....what the what?

Yeah... As things were going today I guess it's actually a surprise win. [Smile]
Corwin
Member # 5705

So... super-week results:

TSM: 5-0
Vulcun: 4-1 (!!!)
Complexity: 3-2, still didn't qualify
CLG: 2-3
GGU: 2-3
MRN: 2-3
Dig: 1-4 (!!)
Curse: 1-4 (!!!)

Some crazy results... I'm glad Curse qualified for the semis directly, but man, this wasn't the preparation they needed for the playoffs! After dominating the whole season it would be weird if they fell apart right at the end.

Corwin
Member # 5705

So, in LCS EU Fnatic and Gambit are in the top two (they were since yesterday already; only the order can change), and SK, EG, Wolves and aAa are now all qualified for the quarters (again, only order can change). Also, SK is in clear 3rd. So other than placement there's nothing to play for.

EG did take out Gambit, who ran a very unusual (at least for them) comp, but yeah, that matters very little.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Yeah, Curse really needs to get it together. I get that this season has been completely different from other seasons. Meta changes constantly, surprise champ picks last for one maybe two games now, almost every week you are playing games that matter, and that's on top of the training schedule, but every team is dealing with that.

They need to dig deep and find the will to play at peak level every time. They were *the* team to beat, and now there just one of the teams. I hate to say it but I feel like SaintVicious hasn't really found a way to make plays happen these last two weeks. Jungle's are just a bit richer than supports, and they rely on picks and ganks to keep up with the ADC, Mid, and top laners. If you aren't getting ganks, you're doing your team a disservice in the jungle. Just like a support that doesn't protect the ADC or buy wards is setting their team up for failure.

---------
In other news I had a 2/11 game yesterday and won. I officially can't predict how a game is going to turn out. We were getting trounced, and my bottom lane was completely defeated. I got ganked with a brand new oracles, and I still bought a second one. But our top Sion was a monster. They baroned, we had a team fight, I just went full on Twitch with oracles, blew every single cooldown on him, including exhaust and suddenly he went down, and as I looked for the next available target (I was at like 100 health at this point) everyone was just dead, and my entire team had survived, we blew through the first center inner turret, the second turret, the inhibitor, the nexus turrets, and just finished off the nexus as 2-3 of them starting beating on us.

Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Curse was very off their game this week. I think their team morale is very low due to the friction between Elementz and St. Vicious.

I've had the opportunity to interview St. Vicious, and I've never like him. It seems like before every game, during the videos Riot shows, Saint does nothing but demean the players on the opposite team, talking about how easy the game is going to be for them to win.

Apparently what happened is Doublelift (From CLG, also, Saint's old team) was talking trash about Elementz. He said Elementz was a horrible support and overall not a very good player. Rather than defend his team mate, Saint decided to side with Doublelift.

Elementz released a 30 minute vlog (Don't watch it, I did and I felt like I was wasting my time) saying how he felt betrayed by his own team mate, and felt Saint was too critical of everything.

I think this drop in morale is what caused Curse to lose most of their games.

TSM have improved greatly this season. I don't think they were doing too well, but replacing Chaox with WildTurtle as their ADC was probably the best decision they made this season. WildTurtle is an absolute beast in bottom lane, and I have high hopes for them. I've als met Dyrus and Regi (Along with his brother Dan!) here in Las Vegas during IPL 4 and they are really nice, cool guys.

I have really enjoyed watching both the NA and EU LCS, but I am kind of let down that Riot has not been promoting the Asian championship series. It may be because LoL is maintained by Garena or TenCent games in that area of the world.

If you go to the esports page, at the bottom there are a list of sponsors. You can click on those to watch the VOD's as well as the actual matches live. They even have English casters for every match! I was able to watch a Singapore Sentinels vs. Fantastic Five game and was amazed at the different set of champions and tactics that are used. To me the NA and EU meta games are stale, and watching the Asian championship series has been extremely interesting.

Here is the link: http://gpl.garena.com/

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Elementz actually quit Curse two days ago, and I think Rhux is his replacement. We'll see how he fills the shoes.

That's unfortunate about SaintVicious, he seems like a very level headed guy.

Corwin
Member # 5705

I'm a bit sad that Elementz quit Curse, but he *really* needs to stop airing his complaints online! He could have been the better man here, talking to Saint and the rest of the team in private and deciding what to do based on that.

When he was kicked from CLG he did kind of the same thing and then ended up regretting it; I would have thought he'd learn by now.

All that said, I became a fan of Curse because I liked Elementz, Nyjacky and Voyboy, so one change isn't enough to make me switch teams. [Smile]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Made it up to 90 league points, then lost the next three games, and am back down to 70. Will this toil never end?!
Corwin
Member # 5705

I haven't played a game in... no idea how long. I really enjoyed watching the LCS more than I wanted to play. [Big Grin]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I just want to get into gold league. It's a goal I set, I want to meet it.

[ April 24, 2013, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.