FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Werner Herzog as a villain (Jack Reacher trailer)

Author Topic: Werner Herzog as a villain (Jack Reacher trailer)
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
He only appears in the trailer for 2 seconds but it's enough to get me excited for this film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-oxhxD32MM

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Cruise is way too short to be a 6'4 Jack Reacher.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

But, but...WERNER HERZOG.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Casting Tom Cruise proves to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the studio entirely missed the point of the character Jack Reacher (who's actually 6'5"). I've read every book, but will be giving this movie a giant PASS!
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

Is the title character's height that crucial to the story?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer looked kinda awesome at the last 10 seconds there. What's wrong with Cruise? He was great in Moneyball.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

He was?
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sa'eed:

The character's fighting style is to throw massive knock out punches (then kick people in the face when they're down). So it'd be nice if the actor looked like a heavy weight boxer.

It also affects the way others look at him.

The other change - inevitable for a Hollywood movie, I guess - is that Reacher wears one set of clothes from Goodwill for three days, then junks them and buys another set.

It's better to have your movie hero dressed in a cool leather jacket rather than an old wal-mart t-shirt.

The changes aren't that big of a deal. Mostly what I'm curious about is the fighting style: Reacher fights dirty in a way that movie heroes usually do not. He occasionally kicks guys in the groin. Really hard.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

His height? No. His physical presence (height, breadth, physicality) are crucial, yes. We're talking about 30 books here, and every single one of them makes extensive mention of his physical presence, especially with regards to how it shapes both his personality and his fighting style. It's a major plot point in at least a dozen of the books.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The trailer looked kinda awesome at the last 10 seconds there. What's wrong with Cruise? He was great in Moneyball.
I believe you're confusing him with Brad Pitt (and even if they were the same, the type of performance given in Moneyball probably isn't comparable to the performance you'll be seeing in this type of movie). Maybe you're confusing him with Jonah Hill but then I think you're kind of beyond help. [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Just have him wear brass kuckles and he can still throw massive knockout punches. He Money Mayweather with a weapon problem solved.

Is it really a plotpoint though? And citing the number of books seems a bit hokey.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Why don't you spend some time yourself and see whether or not it's true if you don't believe it. Feel free to look up any of the big words.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm literally asking. How much does it extend beyond his fighting style. I'm not saying that's meaningless, but some of you sound like there's more to it. He sounds relatively similar to a Frank Castle (The Punisher) type character, but I would never call his size a plotpoint per se. The plotpoints are his lack of sympathy, willingness to torture, fight dirty, and his ability to make other vulnerable (which isn't limited to his size)

Cruise low blows a grunt in that trailer.

And I don't feel like it. We are talking about 30 books here.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Crucial to the character. Characters are crucial to the story.

Reacher is intimidating to look at. That is part of his personality. Tom Cruise is not intimidating to look at.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
When Peter Jackson & Co. shot The Lord of the Rings, they used computerized digital graphics to reduce the size of all the Hobbits, and the dwarfs. Maybe they will use computerized digital effects to enhance the stature of Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher.

The Jack Reacher character of the Lee Childs series of novels was a big, tough man, a former Military Policeman (who reached the rank of major). His size is one of his primary characteristics in all the stories. This is a role made for John Wayne--too bad the Duke is no longer with us.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
I'm literally asking. How much does it extend beyond his fighting style. I'm not saying that's meaningless, but some of you sound like there's more to it. He sounds relatively similar to a Frank Castle (The Punisher) type character, but I would never call his size a plotpoint per se. The plotpoints are his lack of sympathy, willingness to torture, fight dirty, and his ability to make other vulnerable (which isn't limited to his size)

Cruise low blows a grunt in that trailer.

And I don't feel like it. We are talking about 30 books here.

Yeah, Frank Castle - especially Garth Ennis' version - is a good comparison. The main difference is that Reacher is also a keen detective, whereas Castle is just a juggernaut.

I don't think having Cruise in the role is a major problem. An ability to make others feel vulnerable is, as you say, the main point, and Cruise should be able to pull that off.

It's just jarring for readers of the books, is all.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I read all of Child's Jack Reacher books. They are simple as hell and I love them still. I dunno about Tom Cruise- he sure look nothing like Reacher, but still, in this trailer he looks ok.

I hope they don't ruin it all and make him booklike. With his coffee, black, no sugar, and his convertible toothbrush and two-day-max clothes, no driver's licence and all.

And I hope there'll be something about that brigadier general chick he has in this particular book...

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks fun. Cliche but fun.

The two Reacher books I've read were not cliche, and I thought the one that this movie appears based on showed an almost poetic sense of movement and scene.

I agree with JT. Cruise does not project the menace that Reacher has to project in order to be Reacher. While this may be fun, I'm not inclined to think it is canon.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

One thing that looks silly in the trailer: the voice over saying something to the effect of "Reacher's a ghost, you'll never find him." It makes the guy sound like some kind of ninja, when he's actually just a hobo.
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

Whoa whoa. Just realized that the director and screenwriter of this Jack Reacher film also wrote "The Usual Suspects" and also wrote/directed "The Way of the Gun," a very original, dark and nasty thriller released a dozen years ago that has always stayed with me. He had an eight year gap following that film and he started getting a bunch of work four years ago--lots of mainstream stuff, including the next Wolverine film. Hollywood careers are fascinating!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.