FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Because someone had to post it (xkcd)

Author Topic: Because someone had to post it (xkcd)
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I know we have a couple of other xkcd threads here, but this one is so interesting that it deserves its own thread.

A chart of the ideological composition of both chambers of Congress throughout US History

Holy cow, there's a lot of information there! This graphic more or less amounts to a crash course in the fundamentals of US History.

At risk of distracting from the beauty and depth of this "comic," one trend I found interesting was the increasing dominance of the "far Right" in the House since 1994, while the "center Right" has all but vanished from that chamber. The "center Left" has also dwindled in the House (with the gains in 2006 being almost perfectly undone in 2010). This segment of the timeline starkly represents how politics has become more polarized in the past couple of decades. I think it's neat that there's now a way to represent that visually.

Another thing that's interesting is when you see blue segments on the right and red segments on the left, indicating members of Congress who are members of "Right"- or "Left"-leaning parties, but have a voting record going against their party. There are very few points on the graphic that indicate any members of this description who aren't centrists.

Have you spotted any other interesting trends? I could do this all day.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.