FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » U.S. natural disasters

Author Topic: U.S. natural disasters
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
What state has the least amount of natural disasters/extreme weather? No hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires, blizzards, typhoons, tsunamis, nor'easters, landslides, volcanoes, and such?

I used to think NJ was pretty high on that list.

Maybe Oregon or Wyoming?

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
AZ? Do droughts count?

I don't think it has many blizzards, tornadoes, or other extreme weather. Not sure about its plate tectonics.

It does have wildfires though I guess....

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a "blizzard" here in Chicago two winters ago, but aside from that we don't get much more than some snow in the winter and some rain in the fall.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackishSlate
Member # 12650

- posted      Profile for BlackishSlate   Email BlackishSlate         Edit/Delete Post 
This article lists the safest cities to live in, taking into account natural disasters, crime rates, etc.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
we get wildfires and floods, just unfortunately not at the same time.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vigor Miller:
This article lists the safest cities to live in, taking into account natural disasters, crime rates, etc.

The comments imply that several on the list have high risk of hurricanes, though.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
It's Florida. Definitely. We never have anything happen here. No sinkholes, no tornadoes, no lightning strikes, certainly no wildfires. And hurricanes? Psh. Never heard of them. I will say I'm on pins and needles waiting for the inevitable snow storm/blizzard we're due...
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
According to this, the safest city is Corvallis, Oregon. All bets are off when the Cascadia subduction zone goes, though.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Utah. We get a bare dusting of snow in the winter, and it barely breaks 100 in the summer. No tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods. A bunch of other places in that article (above) get hurricanes (east coast) or floods (Arizona, Nevada).

I don't know what T:man is saying about Chicago. The amount of snow they get is a natural disaster all by itself.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vigor Miller:

Yay, Provo, UT is #8! It has the lowest amount of violent crimes per 100,000 people on the list. Actually, I'm surprised Orem isn't on the list above or with Provo. They're essentially the same city.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Utah get wildfires?

I'd actually think that Michigan would be pretty low on the list. No earthquakes, few floods of real consequence, no hurricanes, an itty bitty tornadoes that never really do any damage. Nothing like living on the Gulf.

Why we continue to subsidize people moving to these danger zones is beyond me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Utah also gets Earthquakes, but with modern construction that's becoming less and less relevant (as compared to, say, murder or suicide rates).

The answer to this question would depend greatly on what you're looking for. Just natural disasters? In what context (i.e. if we're talking end of the world natural disasters, then the area's ability to feed itself is important, and if we're not, natural disasters aren't really that big a concern outside a few, isolated hot spots). And do you really mean "state", or just geographic point? States can vary pretty wildly within themselves when it comes to natural disasters.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
which geographical region is best poised to survive the zombie outbreak
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that should be the area with the fewest brains per capita.

Probably SoCal. [Wink]

(Yes, I went there before anyone else could!)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

dude i think socal is the defacto zombie outbreak by now.

if not like, outer jersey

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, according to Mr. King: you're living in it.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

According to World War Z, it would appear to be west of the Rockies to use the mountain range as a natural buffer, or anything above the snowline so zombies freeze in the winter, assuming you can survive the winter yourself.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's kind of signum temporis. No nuclear war threat, so we have zombies now. Pretty reassuring. Not so much with human intelligence, though [Wink]
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a death by climate map and the northeast was high up there. I think heat stroke and freezing were the leading factors. My family won't believe me that living in Maryland is more dangerous than California.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is that map
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZachC
Member # 12709

- posted      Profile for ZachC   Email ZachC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
I saw a death by climate map and the northeast was high up there. I think heat stroke and freezing were the leading factors. My family won't believe me that living in Maryland is more dangerous than California.

Living in Northern Virginia, I would definitely agree with you. It seems that we get some of the hottest summers and snowiest winters in the U.S. I would have to look it up, but I would wager that the D.C./Baltimore area has the highest temperature extremes in the county.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.