FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 3D monitor recommendation

Author Topic: 3D monitor recommendation
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm putting together a high performance workstation for doing hyper spectral image analysis. I've selected most of the hardware already but I need help selecting monitor. So telle what you'd get if price were not an issue.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Is 3D important? My impression is that most 3D technology is entertainment-focused and involves tradeoffs in areas that may be more important for business/science like brightness, contrast, and resolution.

If money were truly no object, I'd go for one of the 4K displays that are starting to trickle out. If money were only somewhat no object, then I'd be looking for a high res 30-inch class monitor.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
We are doing 3D hyperspectral imaging so 3D would be nice but it's not crucial.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

It looks like there a handful of products starting to come out for the medical vertical, like the Panasonic EJ-MDA32U-K, but they seem to be relatively low resolution for their size (1920x1080 on a 32" display) and are extremely expensive. That Panasonic lists for $14,500. If you don't need that grade of device you can pick up 1920x1080 3D-capable flat screen TV as large as 42" for under $1000, and much larger models for a couple thousand more.

You'll have to determine whether the 3D ability is more important than pixel count as that appears to be the major tradeoff. A high-end 2D display of the same size as the Panasonic would be 2560x1600 and consumer/business models can be found for under $1000.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

Here is my personal "money is no object" monitor preference. I haven't yet seen a 3D implementation that is good enough that I'd prefer it for real work over a 2D projection of the same material but then I don't have any experience with $15,000 monitors either.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.