FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mechwarrior Online (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Mittani on the latest patch

http://themittani.com/news/mwo-december-18th-patch-news

quote:
Plenty of balance changes also showed up this week, and we'll just touch on the key points. Firstly, jump jets now have a scaled effect based on how many you have on the chassis. The number each mech comes with stock is now the baseline for getting the jet performance everyone was used to, so you can no longer get away with just slapping a single jet onto your mech and rocketing skyward with wild abandon. In most cases you're going to need four or five to get where you want to be - and there's a cap on the number you can cram onto your robot too, so no filling that Jenner with twenty of them and launching yourself to the moon.

Next, autocannon and PPCs have had their projectile speed boosted - most notably the ppc projectile now travels as fast as an AC/2 round, which along with the introduction of the stalker might mean a surge in the number of ppc users. Remember though, friends don't let friends use ER PPCs. TAG and NARC also get changes , with TAG range increased to 750m and NARC duration increased to 20 seconds. Given TAG was already the better option here (lighter, doesn't need ammo, penetrates ECM bubbles) the NARC buff is frankly a bit lacklustre. There's still not really a good reason to take one over a TAG or (if you've only got a missile hard point to play with) a Streak-2.

there's also a note that the effect of ECMs set to counter mode has been changed to just counter the nearest enemy mech running ECM. This sounds very much like what PGI said it was going to do in the first place, so it'll be interesting to see what this actually does in a brawl full of people flipping between disrupt and counter now.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. ERPPC is still the better option, IMO. It's also the opinion of every team we've played or skirmished with in 2 months.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Bought a Raven 3L, the ECM one of course, and I enjoy it a lot. I have an XL 295 with one DHS in the engine, Endo and FF armor, and 3 Med lasers. I also carry 2 SSRM2's, and 2 tons of ammo. It runs 136.2 kph, without speed tweak, and is a lot of fun to play. Raven's are OP right now, but they always have been in this game.

I figured I should play one in order to learn to kill one. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Just had a huge game in my K2, 3 kills 2 assists and lots of damage. I switched to a 4x Medium laser and 2x AC5 setup with it, which seemed to be a lot more effective than what I was running before.

I think I'm finally at the point where I am pulling my weight most games, and even usually doing better than most.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Let me know if you want to drop tonight. I'm Kwea in game, and I can give you the teamspeak address if you want. It's a lot of fun...
Kwea
Member # 2199

teamspeak://50.22.145.232:7345

House of Davion Teamspeak info above. Anyone can come in, but please remember it's PG-13 at best. People play with their families in hearing distance, and a lot of us have kids.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased a Stalker, and am running LRM * 2, SRM * 2, Medium Laser * 4, and Large Pulse Lasers *2.

It runs WAY too hot, and I haven't earned enough Cbills to buy the heat sink upgrade. Just firing the Large pulse lasers is something like 40+% heat.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Sorry Kwea, I logged off shortly after I made that post. I'd love to play with peeps I know. Though I don't currently have a headset, so sometimes I have problems with my mic picking up my speaker output. Will play around with 'push to talk' and see if that works better for me.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
I purchased a Stalker, and am running LRM * 2, SRM * 2, Medium Laser * 4, and Large Pulse Lasers *2.
Wow, I can't even fathom that kind of firepower. Guess someone spent their 8M credit bonus.

I myself have about 5M, and can't decide whether to pimp my Jenner (the XL 280 engines probably and 2xMedPulseLasers) or just save up for a new mech entirely.

Kwea
Member # 2199

PTT is mandatory on all our drops, specifically because of that. [Big Grin]

I'd eat that Stalker for lunch. [Big Grin]

Xavier, just look for me on the server. If I am not training nOObs, I'd love to play a bit, and if you want I could get you into the group and introduce you to some guys. We are actually an international group, so no matter when you play we have rooms going. [Big Grin]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Does House of Davion really think that erppc's are good weapons?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
this game sucks.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

it does
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I haven't actually played it, but if you say so.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I'm not sure I'd agree. Its tough as a new player, but I think they have something pretty cool here. They still need to make lots more changes, mostly in weapons balance. But the core is decent I feel.

---------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm still experimenting with K2 setups, and right now I've got 2xLargeLasers and 1xGaussRifle. I still get the "mech with giant lasers on its shoulders" feel while also getting a taste of how OP the gauss rifle is.

My second game I got over 500 damage with it. I think when I get used to aiming the gauss rifle it could be a pretty great setup. The two weapon types seem to compliment eachother reasonably well.

I'm sure getting 2xGauss is even better, but I'd probably hate myself for using it.

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
Put ammo in the legs. Gauss ammo can go in the center torso. 2 larges and a Gauss works ok.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
Oh, I haven't actually played it, but if you say so.

It's a beta. It's rough and buggy, the interface leaves a lot to be desired, 4 maps and two game modes, and a frustrating pug grind with no meta instituted. It sucks. But the core gameplay is fun and this makes it good practice for when the game actually comes out.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I'd eat that Stalker for lunch. [Big Grin]

Probably. I dropped the LRMs for two more SRMs, got rid of the 4 medium lasers, and got a large laser.

So now it's Large pulse laser * 2, Large Laser * 1, SRM * 4, Heat sinks * gazillion.

It's pretty hard to deal with Ravens dancing in circles around me, but I tend to back myself into a wall so I only need to look left and right, get lined up, then BOOOOOM.

I still kinda wish I had gone for a Stalker with more ballistic slots, and picked up some AC/*.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

gave myself a stalker, standard 300, and gave it 4 medium lasers, 2 large lasers, max armor, 4 SRM 4's, and a trajillion DHS's — not quite a brawler, but it absolutely ends anything that comes within 300m.

when they reduce the heat on PPC's and give them the EMP effect, i'm probably going to test it out with 4 ppc's.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Go with a SRM boat. They are devastating.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_WyEfmD7qhs

the trial mechs are still clownshoes

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Oh man that was depressing.
Xavier
Member # 405

Reading the forums convinced me to spend my 4M or so on a Hunchback 4SP, even with me not liking the look.

My first few games were miserable, and now I am kind of wishing I'd spent that all on upgrading my Jenner. Right now that's the mech I have the most fun with.

-------------------------------------------------

Oh BTW, I am FelMair in game. I sent invites out to the three players in this thread.

Xavier
Member # 405

Anyone have a really good Stalker build yet?

My garage has:

JR7-F (6xSmallLasers)
CPLT-K2 (2xLargeLasers, 1xGuassRifle)
HBK-4SP (5xMediumLasers, 2xSRM)

So that's one of each class besides the assault class. Out of the assault mechs, the Stalker is the one I like the look of best. I'm thinking the 5M has a nice balance to it, and I don't have anything with LRMs on it yet.

------------------------------------------------

I'm still not thrilled with my 4SP yet. The medium lasers seem to overheat my mech pretty fast. I upgraded to DHS, just to realize that I didn't have much space and it barely helped, if at all. Was painful to realize I kind of wasted 1.5M credits. Now that I've spent the entire 8M credit gift, they aren't easy to come by.

Parkour
Member # 12078

How could upgrading to dhs not help? It doubles the effect of all heatsinks in the engine.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Well I could fit more single heat sinks in the loadout. When I upgraded to DHS they take up a ton of room and I can't fit nearly as many in. Tonnage isn't an issue for the mech right now, but space is.

I think it helped slightly, like from 1.08 to 1.1 heat efficiency. Hardly worth 1.5M credits.

But if I am doing something wrong, I am all ears [Smile] .

Note: some of the space issues are from the slots used up by the endo-steel structure. Maybe switching to standard structure I can fit in more DHSs. That would mean I wasted that upgrade cost completely.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

what's your weapon loadout?
Xavier
Member # 405

Currently I've got:

Endo Steel Structure
Double Heat Sinks

Left Arm: 2xMediumLaser, DHS
Right Arm: 2xMediumLaser, DHS
Head: Medium Laser
Right Torso: SRM6, 3xDHS
Left Torso: SRM6, 2xDHS, Ammo
Center Torso: STD200 Engine, 2xAmmo
Legs: Structure slots

45.6/50 tons used.

All my slots are full currently. This ends up with a heat efficiency of 1.10 with 15 DHS.

That's probably enough and I should just "learn to play". Which is fine. Unless there's a more optimal loadout I could roll with.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

You want a better engine. what's your current top speed?
Xavier
Member # 405

Looks like 64.8, same as stock. Engines are pricey, still haven't saved up enough to upgrade my Jenner's yet [Smile] .

[Which probably will get higher priority, since I like it better than the Hunchback.]

Xavier
Member # 405

But I see what you mean, running a "medium" that's not any faster than my "heavy" is probably whats so unsatisfying about taking it out of the garage.
Parkour
Member # 12078

Yeah mediums need more mobility. Their job is to wingman the brutes, swat lights away, and pick on the rear armor of heavies that engage. They should be going 80 minimum.
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:
How could upgrading to dhs not help? It doubles the effect of all heatsinks in the engine.

Nope. It doubles the ones in the engine, and gives the rest a 1.4 HE.

They take 3 slots, vs 1 slot for regular. They only weigh a ton though. It's a balancing act, and worth it on most mechs, but it depends on your build and loadout.

Kwea
Member # 2199

If you get a better engine, one of the DHS will fit in the engine, freeing up 3 more slots. It will work better there too. I use the Standard 260 in ALL my Hunchie builds. It runs 82.5 kph, without speed tweak.
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
I use the Standard 260 in ALL my Hunchie builds. It runs 82.5 kph, without speed tweak.
Cool, will shoot for that. Looks like that's eight more tons. Yikes. Not sure how to shed that weight. Such a balancing act.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
quote:

Nope. It doubles the ones in the engine, and gives the rest a 1.4 HE.
Read his post.
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
...one of the DHS will fit in the engine...
Can you elaborate on this a little? Can't seem to figure out how it works in the mechlab. The 260 and 200 engines both look like they take up 6 slots.

Is there a way to put heat sinks in the engine that I'm just not seeing? When you guys have talked about them being in the engine, I figured that just meant that by default an engine has some built into it that I can't see. But I'm not really sure how that all works.

Xavier
Member # 405

Ah, googling shows that the number on the engine tells how many are inside, in that 200/25 = 8 and 250/25 = 10.

Yikes, that's something that should have been clear in the mechlab itself.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

This is going to be sort of confusing but that's because the heat/heatsink system in MWO sucks at present and needs an overhaul. But the short story is: DHS always. Always. Always. Ignore anyone who tells you otherwise. They probably pilot commandos and smell.

The minimum number of heatsinks required by a mech is 10; engines have a number of heatsinks inside them based on their rating. If you have a really small engine, your engine doesn't have enough heatsinks in it to meet the threshold and you have to put in additional ones outside the engine. (these engines are terrible, never use them). A 250 engine and above fills the minimum 10 heatsinks inside it. At 275 and above they start having room for additional heatsinks you can OPT to put inside the engine above 10. Here's a chart:

100-120 engine, 4 heat sinks in engine, 6 must be placed in criticals
125-145 engine, 5 heat sinks in engine, 5 must be placed in criticals
150-170 engine, 6 heat sinks in engine, 4 must be placed in criticals
175-195 engine, 7 heat sinks in engine, 3 must be placed in criticals

200-220 engine, 8 heat sinks in engine, 2 must be placed in criticals
225-245 engine, 9 heat sinks in engine, 1 must be placed in criticals
250-270 engine, 10 heat sinks in engine, 0 must be placed in criticals
275-295 engine, 10 heat sinks in engine, 0 must be placed in criticals, space for 1 extra heat sink within engine

300-320 engine, 10 heat sinks in engine, 0 must be placed in criticals, space for 2 extra heat sinks within engine
325-345 engine, 10 heat sinks in engine, 0 must be placed in criticals, space for 3 extra heat sinks within engine

Here's an image of an engine with two additional optional heatsinks in its spare space:

http://i.imgur.com/YEke3.jpg

you just basically dump them in there. They add a ton each, but use no additional critical space. The DHS outside the engine take up three crit spaces and have 1.4 times the effect of a SHS.

Note that with DHS, any internal engine heatsink gets DOUBLE the heat reduction value and does not take up any additional space. Ergo, when you have a 270 engine with 10 engine heatsinks and upgrade to DHS, the 10 engine internal heatsinks have their cooling power instantly doubled. So it's like you are gaining 10 heat sinks with no downside AT ALL. You went from 10 effective heatsinks to 20.

It is for that reason that nearly all serious business builds are DHS and at present no ace runup makes use of SHS; some people have come up with some builds that they think barely utilize SHS better, but it's iffy and these builds are generally outclassed by other designs anyway so they are pretty much obsolete right now. The free doubling of engine heatsinks at no critical space or weight cost is simply insurmountable. The only notable downside is that you can no longer put heatsinks in the legs, and heatsinks in legs get additional cooling benefit if you are standing in water. But that doesn't matter too much, because at present the pro builds put ammo in the legs.

Xavier
Member # 405

Thanks, that goes a bit further than the post I found with google did.

I think my main problem right now is that I lose interest after two or three matches. Hard to grind the credits for these things without marathon sessions. I just don't seem to have the will for it, for whatever reason.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Not all the pro builds put ammo in the legs. The ONLY reason people do now is the Lag shield keeps you from legging as much. Ammo on a leg is sometimes a VERY bad idea. If they get a crit, it legs you or kills you.

They have already over adjusted the HE of laser weapons, but the next patch will dial it down a bit and make all energy weapons more viable options. Should make for some interesting builds. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Xavier, drop with my team for a bit. It makes it FUN, and the credits come fairly easy. I don;t even think much about it any more. [Big Grin]

I am working all weekend, but drop in Monday night if you aren't busy. I know I will be on then.

Parkour
Member # 12078

Ammo always goes in the legs, unless you can use the arms as ammo dumps, or if it is gauss ammo which can go in the ct (it doesn't explode) ... Right now ammo in legs makes it much less of a viability as it would be anywhere else.
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
I am working all weekend, but drop in Monday night if you aren't busy. I know I will be on then.
Sounds cool. It looks like that's New Years Eve. Not sure if I'm doing anything that night or not. Will probably be on at least a bit [Smile] .
Kwea
Member # 2199

LOL....I won't, but I have Tues off. Maybe a little earlier on Tues?
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Ammo always goes in the legs, unless you can use the arms as ammo dumps, or if it is gauss ammo which can go in the ct (it doesn't explode) ... Right now ammo in legs makes it much less of a viability as it would be anywhere else.

Nope. Once the lag shield gets fixed, legging won't just slow you, it will blow you up if you get hit. Legs are actually an easy target, on anything other than lights.
Parkour
Member # 12078

So you're saying that sometime in the future it might be a better idea to not put ammo in the legs.

Right now, ammo in the legs.

Xavier
Member # 405

Probably my best game so far. Was with my K2.

I think I'm getting somewhere in my play, but I still seem to lose far more often than I win. My stats show I win only 32% of my matches [Frown] .

When I do lose I'm typically top three damage on my team. Often I am first. So I don't think I suck that badly. I'd guess from my match summaries that I am a pretty average player. So why am I losing so much?

I think that's why I have a hard time maintaining my interest. Losing in this game is painful, and when it happens a few times in a row, I'd rather be doing something else.

Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
So you're saying that sometime in the future it might be a better idea to not put ammo in the legs.

Right now, ammo in the legs.

No.

Only thing covered by lag shield is lights. In a light I put it there, and in anything else I don't.

If you do, let me know what your screen name is. I could always use a few easy kills. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Because over half the people you drop against are probably in teams. Even in 2 teams of 4 comms make a difference.

Before ECM I was at about 80% wins, and that's with teaching new players which is fairly hard. Before I had so many new players I was at about 90%.

I am currently at 67%. And over half my matches have been with ECM in play, and while learning a new mech class, lights. It's a fairly steep learning curve, particularly in 8 man drops with no weight limits or matching.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.