FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mechwarrior Online (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because over half the people you drop against are probably in teams. Even in 2 teams of 4 comms make a difference.
I wish there was a way to tell who the premade groupings are in the battle. In WoT its clear on the match screen, and they do their best there to always put premades equally on each side. Is there any attempt to balance in such a way in this game?

This was the game after I wrote my post: here. They aren't usually this clear cut, but its pretty easy to see that I was not the weak link [Frown] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not yet, but if you drop in a 8 man drop they are ALL premades, on both sides.

There will eventually be matchmaking, where tonnage or class of mechs are balanced. It's phase 3, and we are in phase 2 right now. Not sure on a date though.....although it can't come soon enough for me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

When I saw I got a kill assist on "GG Unit" I had to smile.

Of course, Sam doubled my damage done (at least). So I can't actually rub his nose in it or anything...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going over pretty much every pro build I can see (I won't be able to talk about this stuff much soon because i'm getting into WoL) and pretty much every serious business build puts ammo that explodes in the legs, or in an ammodump arm.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! we have a spare. want in on our group, assisting-me-kill jerk
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
WoL?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

friend tetriseyes
Kwea
Member # 2199

I will, and I will be on tomorrow.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Right now the player base is....well, saying they aren't good is being kind. Once Planetary Conquest begins, things will change a lot.

Legs are what is for dinner!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Put a SD 300 with two HS in my Stalker, and now I have the dual HS upgrade but to get Artemis I had to drop one of my four SRMs.

It's taking some getting used to but my heat is way more manageable.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Hey! we have a spare. want in on our group, assisting-me-kill jerk

Sorry, you guys have a habit of inviting me when I've already logged off for the night.

I may or may not be on tonight. Think we're staying in, but might watch a movie or something instead of gaming.

Xavier
Member # 405

Also, I'm currently blowing my credits trying out as many different weapons as I can get my hands on. Right now I am running my K2 with two large pulse lasers and dual AC2's. It's pretty fun, but probably not as good my 2xLargeLaser and Guass rifle combo.

I'm curious what the "pros" think of the AC2 as a weapon. It doesn't hit for much, but when chain fired I'm basically always shooting the weapon, which is fun.

Edit: Also did a 2xLargeLaser, 2xMedLaser, 2xAC2 build for a few matches. The main problem is that I kept forgetting to fire the medium lasers, and when I did it just seemed to overheat me.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

AC2 is bad mechanically, it just feels satisfying.

Like a machine gun, which looks and sounds fun when being fired, but does basically jack all

Xavier
Member # 405

Thanks, I kind of figured that was the case. I've used them to good effect, but another weapon would probably have done better.

I've now maxed my basic xp unlocked, and am grumpy that I need two more cat's to go any further. [Grumble]

Kwea
Member # 2199

It depends. If used in combo with others, it can be devastating. I have a friend who is pretty darn good who runs 4 AC 2's, and he is really good. He can sit on the top base in River City and snipe the other team while they are still on their base, usually killing 2-3 before they get half way up the river.

AC 5's are usually a better option, though. More bang for your buck.

Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I am going over pretty much every pro build I can see (I won't be able to talk about this stuff much soon because i'm getting into WoL) and pretty much every serious business build puts ammo that explodes in the legs, or in an ammodump arm.

1) Where can I see these "pro builds"? Would be nice to see whats at the top of the current meta-game.

2) What the heck is WoL? Is that a clan/guild/whatever in MWO or something?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Getting online for awhile, if anybody wants to join me.
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
WoL is the Word of Lowtax, the goonswarm faction in mwo.

If you hear people squawk, they're probably us goons.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

So are you guys using teamspeak or anything?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I get on Kwea's aformentioned teamspeak server, and wait in the "looking for group channel until somebody invites me.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

X = Premade Team Size

X < 5 or X = 8

It's a stupid setup.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

As for teamspeak, it greatly improves tactical awareness and ability.
Xavier
Member # 405

Cool. Was grouped with Sam and a couple of his friends, but it didn't seem like anyone was using any voice over IP.

Anyway, thanks for the invite Sam if you are here. Was a lot of fun. Hope I didn't drag ya'll down too much [Smile] .

Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:

yeah, a lot of talk so far. We just kill them when we drop. [Big Grin] Standard operations against goons is to ignore chat, say nothing, and kill them. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

BB, who have your dropped with so far? If you are enjoying it feel free to join HHoD. I can send you a link if you want.

We have people from all over the world, and some people play a lot, so....not so much. We don;t have a lot of set requirements unlike a lot of groups, and we have a ton of new people, so it's fun.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I may be mixing them with some goons but, Mordale, Reapsman, Nolaren, Endgame, Dark Specter, Corvus, Sarithule, and Coburn.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to join a guild yet.

Kwea
Member # 2199

It's all good, just wanted to offer.

I know Coburn and Nolaren. Thy are fairly new, but good people.

Xavier
Member # 405

I'd like to also thank Sam for recommending the Jenner-F with 2xMedPulse and 4xSmallLaser. The thing is amazingly fun to pilot. I have an XL 280 engine, so that I could fit in the 5/5 heat sinks.

I'm getting lots of kills with it, and with the crazy "weave through your opponents" gameplay it encourages I often end up with assists on anyone my teammates kill. I survive a lot more in it too (lag shield?), which I didn't expect for a light mech. I think my contributions are sometimes greater than my damage done, because having a Jenner weave through their pack of mechs seems to draw their fire and disrupt the enemy team quite a bit.

So my kill/death and win ratio both seem to be climbing since I started using it as my primary. But they were so bad to begin with that both stats are still terrible. Ah well.

And that's with me still not really knowing what to do with it. I think my main goal as a player is to get better at targeting damaged mods. When I manage to do this it leads to kills, but more often I'm just spraying and praying.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

A good small mech can be invaluable at reporting enemy positions so your team can adapt, as well as you said disrupting. While they are trying to get a bead on you, they aren't paying attention to me and my stalker. When I do enough damage that they actually turn to face me, they now aren't watching you.
Xavier
Member # 405

Yeah I still haven't done any matches with teamspeak. Maybe this weekend if I have a free night. Though come to think of it, I don't think I will.

Also, I want to say that as much fun as the completed Jenner build above is, I'm kind of pissed about having to buy the other two to move up to the elite pilot skills.

Okay, fine, I'll buy the JR7-D. Twin streaks and 4xMedLasers (or something like this) is probably really fun and I can move my engine over from the JR7-F.

But the JR7-K is just the JR7-D with one less missile slot! Unless there's something I'm missing here. That's BS. Why on earth would I want to buy that one and play it long enough to get the basic unlocks...

It's almost enough to make me quit playing, to be honest. I want lots of different and varied mechs to try, not three of the same but slightly different. [Mad]

[ January 11, 2013, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

There will be eventually but they have done a decent job of rolling out mechs so far.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Xavier: I hear that. I think that aspect is just ridiculous and stupid design. It's clearly a design choice that revolves around greed.
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
There will be eventually but they have done a decent job of rolling out mechs so far.

I think maybe you didn't understand my post. It's not that there aren't a wide variety of mechs to buy. It's that instead of buying them I'll be buying two more friggen Jenner's. Then when I am done I'll be buying two more friggen Catapult's so I can use the 27K experience that's just sitting on my K2.

I agree BB, its purely to force you to grind or spend real life money. I understand it, I do. In World of Tanks it takes hundreds and hundreds of battles to get to the top tanks. I've played 2500 or so (no joke) and still don't have a "tier 10" tank. So that's even more of a grind. The difference there is that there's a progression to your grinding, where here its just an obvious set of hoops to jump through.

[ January 12, 2013, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I think it would be a much better idea to unlock those second tier attributes by either having your equip your mech with various other weapons/systems, or setup an achievement list as a prerequisite.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't like it, but I understand it. I just spend 10 bucks and convert my 200,000 xp points I STILL have on my Hunchy over to general xp, they buy it and sell it.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, because I don't think you got what I was referring to, Xavier. What I was referring to is that they will make more variants soon, and you will have greater options in each class, and within each chassis. That will let you avoid having to play a chassis that sucks, like the Raven 2X, just to max it out. You will have greater options to choose which 3 chassis you drive to get to the elites.

It will still be a bit of a grind, but at least you will have choices to make. They way it is now, often you HAVE to take what is given because there are only 3 available in each mech. That will make it far more palatable to me, at least. I hate being railroaded into a specific chassis.

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:

yeah, a lot of talk so far. We just kill them when we drop. [Big Grin]
Of course. With your wicked ERPPC loadouts and ac2 sniping, without a doubt.

http://lpix.org/1031849/SQUAWK.gif

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I don;t usually, but if you play as well as you debate, I could probably take YOU like that.

[Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I had fun playing last night BB. It was a new group, filled with pretty much nOObs, but it was fun. They need to get a little better at aiming, and they didn't stay together very well, but overall they did pretty good for guys who just started playing.

I like training, but nights like that are why I still play with my friends who have a little more experience. 8 man groups are tough now with ECM still overpowered and the lag shield still engaged. Lights are tough, far tougher than they should be.

Xavier
Member # 405

Yeah, a pack of ECM lights is pretty much game over for the other team, from what I've seen so far.

It's just not fun. I'm not sure what the devs were thinking with how ECM currently functions.

There are lots of ways they can attempt to balance it, and they better do so fast. I don't see myself playing long term if they are going to leave the metagame so broken.

I considered buying an ECM capable Raven or Commando myself just to fight fire with fire, but I don't want to further contribute to its overuse in games. Also I'm also assuming that they'll nerf it right after I finish my ECM build, if I choose to work towards one [Smile] .

Kwea
Member # 2199

I have an Atlas D-DC, and a Raven 3L. They are fun. [Big Grin]

I have no issue with ECM, but once again I feel like I am railroaded into picking those chassis. I have won more than a few matches against ECM heavy teams, but it's MUCH harder to do. Harder than it should be.

I imagine they will just have ECM stop stacking. That would make thins a bit more even. Also, I think they either need to make it work for THAT mech, or significantly shrink it's area of effect.

Tag is a short term gap filler, but there needs to be another way to at mitigate it's effect beyond ling of sight Tag,

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
So I got MWO and tried it. My first round was basically *spawn* *die* for me, but the second round I actually managed to survive with a trial Raven. I got a kill too! Admittedly, this is probably because the guy I killed refused to walk over the hill I was ducking behind and then popping up to shoot him.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It's more fun with comms, so feel free to drop in. [Big Grin]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I don;t usually, but if you play as well as you debate, I could probably take YOU like that.

[Big Grin]

Not that I want to jump in the middle of obvious trashtalk baiting, but do you guys still seriously use ERPPCs?
Kwea
Member # 2199

Depends on the build. Until they change the PPC's (removing min range) they work for me. Then again, I hardly use PPC's at all.

If I do, I only take one or two, and snipe, so I like the better range. [Big Grin]

Xavier
Member # 405

Kind of an amusing game. The enemy team killed seven of our mechs. We killed not a single one of theirs.

Our team wins on resources, with me the last one alive.

(I capped one last node and then hid in the tunnel for it to hit 750)

[ January 19, 2013, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Awesome.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Cool...it's a fun game, and it looks like they will be nerfing the ECM soon. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

They are changing ECM and PPC's this week and next, finally. I've been using a ERPPC/Gauss build for a week now, averaging 600-1100 damage with it as a sniper.

I'll probably drop to PPC's once they get rid of the minimum range for them on the 19th though.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

How are they being changed?
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well....PPC's always had a disrupt effect on electronics. In other games (and TT) it made things shudder/flicker. ECM is electronic, so it will start shutting down a mechs ECM for 5 seconds with each hit.

PPC's have a minimum range. Inside of 90 meters they do 0 damage right now. They are removing the minimum range, which means that PPC's no longer are a weak option. They have about the same range as a Gauss (actually a little better), and do 10 damage to a single panel per hit.

There are going to be new sensor modules that shrink the ECM bubble as well. Advance Sensor Range will let you lock on up to 70 meters sooner, allowing more time for missile locks, and making it easier to see ECM mechs.

And the heat for PPC's and ERPPC's will be slightly reduced.

This is going to mess up game balance, as some mechs are capable of carrying 5-6 PPC's. PGI has already said they are aware of this, and are working on a solution to avoid allowing people to boat most larger weapon systems.....SSRMS, PPC/ERPPC, and LRM's. They just haven't said WHAT their possible solution will be yet.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.