FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mechwarrior Online (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
New Patch Notes!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
iiiiiiiiinteresting.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
PGI doesn't have to do much about the threat of boating PPC's, because boating PPC's is still really silly given the current heat mechanics and the limitations of heat dissipation/capacity.

ERPPC's will continue to be stupid and bad. Much to the chagrin of the eventual arrival of the clans.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Not really. But YMMV.

I am running an Atlas sniper with 2 ERPPC and a Gauss. It does a moderate 35 damage.

All to one panel. And I can fire it as often I like. And it hits for full damage to 600 meters, and 75% damage at 900 meters.

I've had it for less than a week, and I am getting 4-5 kills a match, and starting to be able to headshot other people at 600 meters, for an instant kill. Against other 8 man teams.

But you're right, they suck. LOL.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, Samp. You obviously haven't experienced the joy of having a light mech walk up to you and get into the PPC uselessness umbrella expecting to be completely safe from your destructive might. It's so much fun to one-shot the suckers when they do that. That said, totally switching to regular PPCs when the 90m min range goes away.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I've had it for less than a week, and I am getting 4-5 kills a match, and starting to be able to headshot other people at 600 meters, for an instant kill. Against other 8 man teams.

Your current brag record along with how you had a friend who was using an AC2 for "usually killing 2-3 before they get half way up the river" in river city and the fact that you disagreed chronically with using leg slots for ammo has left your anecdote and build strategy beyond suspect, just FYI.

And yes, the ERPPC is a bad weapon. It is just being made moderately less bad, in response to it being bad. Like right now you are defending a weapon as not-bad which is getting hopefully-make-it-not-bad buffs in response to it being bad. This is not a "YMMV" thing, it's the game's mechanics. The weapon simply has from day one generated way too much heat for its effective output, so in terms of pro builds there are zero that don't benefit from removing it in favor of other equipment.

quote:
Come on, Samp. You obviously haven't experienced the joy of having a light mech walk up to you and get into the PPC uselessness umbrella expecting to be completely safe from your destructive might. It's so much fun to one-shot the suckers when they do that.
I have experienced that joy, of course, but I experience more joy when they are using ERPPC's. It means our mechs are better than theirs and we will win.

Anyway, mittens & co are probably going to do a comprehensive review of new ppc's when they drop and I'll know soon enough if there's enough incentive to noodle around with new zone denial mechs using PPC's. I want that, since PPC's have been my go-to weapon in the tabletop and is my personal favorite.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thank you, oh walking font of mechwarrior knowledge. LOL.

BTW...since the lag shield is gone, isn't having ammo in your legs fun? [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I can't wait until the minimum range goes away as well. PPC's will be a better option, IMO, once rushing you isn't the best defense against them. My point was never that ERPPC's were great, just that they weren't as bad as Samp was saying.

I believe Samp knows as much about Mechwarrior as he knew about drugs, back when he claimed to be an expert about them. In other words, he is good a spooling other people's words back out as long as you don't examine the actual content.

But it's not the first time someone....Samp or others...has talked out his ass here, so go for it.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea: Dude, tone down the over hostility please. Sam is just saying what he thinks the meta is going to be, there's no reason to be antagonistic about it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Riiight. I was the only one being hostile.

I do apologize for the tone of the post though. I am here in PA for a funeral, and I was not having a good day. I shouldn't have gotten in your face about it, Samp. I'd take it down, but I don't want anyone to think I was trying to hide it.

(edited because apparently I can't type)

[ February 07, 2013, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
Well there's no need to feud over space robot combat game, all it is is that yeah some of the testimony and build strategy you havegiven us in this thread is really suspect, respectfully the notion of a person who kills one or more people in the river with ac2's was our "uhh yeah right" moment. Really I'm also confused, i thought that the lag shield didn't cover heavy mech legs to begin with, so what would have changed? We still ammo up the legs (and the head)
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

My missileboat actually has 5t ammo. Two in each leg, one in the head. There's never been anyplace better for it, ever. not the side torsos, DEFINITELY not the center torso.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't like AC2's, but Praetorian's in my group did exactly that more than once. Once maps are larger they will be better, but I personally don't use them. I just don't think that they are useless.

Heavy's and assaults have more armor on their legs, and so get critted less. Ammo explosions only happen on crits.

Thank what you want. Just because your people suck at range with AC2's doesn't mean everyone does, and Praet was using 4 AC2's, which are more than capable of hitting at full damage all the way down the river. The big move at the time was the Braveheart rush, and he killed 1 before it even closed, and the second one in the river before the base of the ramp. He ended up with 1100 damage plus.I killed 2 with my Gauss kitty. [Big Grin] It was a good match, when they are down 4 before the rush is over.

The lag issues were most evident on lights, but it was fairly hard to get hits on legs to register on all mechs until the patch. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Now......it's FAR easier to leg people, and most of our guys have started putting back some armor on their legs.

[ February 09, 2013, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Let me know if you guys want to scrim some. You know, since I am lying and you know everything. LOL.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

kinda got a little bit too weird and personal for that yo

but i can at least, as resident drug AND mechwarrior expert, share videos of me playing MWO high as a kite on oxy

http://www.twitch.tv/samprimary/c/1916513

http://www.twitch.tv/samprimary/c/1903926

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I need more SRM ammo in my Stalker.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Good excuse.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Yes, it unironically is, kwea.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I seriously don't get why there is *any* animosity in this thread at all. You both like the same game, you are both good at it, you are in different clans so there's that...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a manhood thing.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I seriously don't get why there is *any* animosity in this thread at all. You both like the same game, you are both good at it, you are in different clans so there's that...

It's the Hatrack Teen Boy Squad.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Tone is everything, and I don't like being called stupid and having my honesty questioned.

It's a game. I don't really care what he thinks of my opinions.

I just see this as a perfect example of why Hatrack is so hostile these days, and why most of the people who made this place so cool left.

::shrugs::

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I seriously don't get why there is *any* animosity in this thread at all.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
This was just getting good.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
kinda got a little bit too weird and personal for that yo

but i can at least, as resident drug AND mechwarrior expert, share videos of me playing MWO high as a kite on oxy

http://www.twitch.tv/samprimary/c/1916513

http://www.twitch.tv/samprimary/c/1903926

Good lord this game looks terrible.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

In an attempt to better understand this thread I have lit my hair on fire and will have INTERPERSONAL CONFLICT over a game where you put lasers on a walking robot and bump into each other, also so I can better fit into mrsquicky's oft-repeated model of the "hatrack teen boy squad"

quote:
It's a game. I don't really care what he thinks of my opinions.
Then if you don't — like, if you really don't — don't make it really weirdly personal and make it so obviously about more than just that we disagree about a game and you really have said some stuff which created legitimate doubt about the soundness of your statements, sorry dude.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I rest my case. Have fun storming the castle!
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, you've literally said that people who disagree with your build theorycraft are smelly.

I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on in terms of who's being weirdly personal. And if you do, that leg is probably filled with explosive ammunition.

(Did I get that right? All I know about this game I learned from reading this thread.)

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I'm sure I was deeply totally profoundly 100% serious when i said that people who disagree with me smell and that was in no way lighthearted sarcasm pretty much making fun of the idea that i was being territorial about space robot build theorycraft in any way in the first place.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no, it was totally sarcasm. But that sort of comment can still rankle someone who does disagree with you, yeah? Even if you don't literally think they smell, it sort of goes with the very strident way you were asserting your theorycraft superiority.

I can see now how it could've actually been meant to be making fun of your own strident attitude, but that wasn't quite how I read it at the time. I read it more as ridiculous silly hyperbole for laughs, but implicitly saying that people who disagreed with you had no idea what they were talking about.

In hindsight, I can see it could go either way.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:

The pressure valve. It broke.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you can be strident and confident about game theory without it being a fight, and kwea did take it way too far. In fairness to issues about sammo's tone just imagine literally every single post here of his has a big giant authentic smiley face, even the last one. Sam does not get mad at video games.

Sincerely, a person who almost started fighting about video games in this thread with kwea but was pulled away irl from the abyss.

In conclusion, ERPPC's are still awful, even on hardpoint limited mechs, as is the ER large laser. Lets fight about that, and you smell if you play in a commando.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think you can be strident and confident about game theory without it being a fight, and kwea did take it way too far.
For what it's worth, I think both Kwea and Sam took it too far; Sam's a Goon, so he does that with a smile on his face and a song in his heart, but he had to know that it was like poking a bear. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Sam, you've literally said that people who disagree with your build theorycraft are smelly.

I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on in terms of who's being weirdly personal. And if you do, that leg is probably filled with explosive ammunition.

(Did I get that right? All I know about this game I learned from reading this thread.)

Yep, it was pretty funny. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

At least we agree on commando's. For the most part. [Big Grin]

I did take it too far, not because of the game itself but because of the tone of the conversation and some of the things that were said. I also apologized, stated I only left it up because deleting it would have been unfair, and went on to talk about the actual game.

I was in PA for a funeral of someone I loved, and was feeling out of sorts, exhausted, and I overreacted. It's not an excuse, mind you.....tired, hurt, or not, people are responsible for what they say and how they say it. But it does explain why I took repeated sarcasm wrong and lashed out a bit.

I was hardly the only one being hostile, though. Take a look at my posts before that one, and they are about the game. Not attacks on players who disagree with me. I didn't claim that anyone who disagreed with me was stupid, smelly, or lying. That was all other people.

Samp....as I said I am sorry for snapping at you. We've known each other for a while here at Hatrack, and while we aren't friends you deserved the benefit of the doubt, or at least a PM asking what the issue was, I suppose. I know you are sarcastic, and usually it doesn't bother me as I can be sarcastic too.

Enough said, as far as I am concerned.

[ February 12, 2013, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Umber, Samp is running his mechs the same way I do, on heat vision. It is actually a decent game graphics wise, better than the past ones.

Nice build on the Stalker, Samp. I played one similar for a while. If you can get in close it is brutal.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

it's really okay, i am sorry there was so much of an opportunity for a confluence of hostility over a game, i want this to be about blowing robots up too??
Kwea
Member # 2199

Hands down, man. [Big Grin]

I like giving people crap too, as long as they don't mind joking like that. That's why I was surprised at myself for being offended the next day. LOL.

I might rebuild your Stalker, BTW. With that build you HAVE to have ammo in the legs, it makes more sense now that I see what you were doing. In other games it was not a good idea, but it seems to work OK in MWO. 5 SRM6's was brutal.

I think the meta is shifting more to sniping, but I doubt jump sniping will ever be as effective as it was in MW4. It will keep getting better with the PPC patch, of course...and it will be overpowered at first more than likely. But in MW4 it was pretty much impossible to beat if you were good at it.

Kwea
Member # 2199

New Patch is finally up....after 5 or 6 hours. [Big Grin]
Boris
Member # 6935

I don't ever have anyone target my legs when I'm in anything other than a light mech. So it makes sense to me to put the ammo there for the most part.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Depends on the quality of your competition, honestly.

Also, in other mech games if your leg went black and someone shot it again, you died. Legs are still a good target here, but aren't targeted much. Part of it is the lag shield.....some hits weren't landing on all legs, and they are working on fixing that. Not just on lights, although it was by FAR most obvious on lights.

I still like ERPPC's though. [Big Grin] Not on every build, but on my sniper builds it rocks.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Looking forward to the 19th, that patch will change everything again. [Big Grin]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

What are they doing then?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgUzhO1TiAc&feature=youtu.be
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

At first I like, "It's funny because he overheats every time he fires." Then I looked over at the left side of the screen and saw the CBills rolling in.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

if you want a novelty sniper mech, you want the Hexalker

.. which I will now try.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://www.twitch.tv/samprimary/c/1959733

:|

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

So how would you rate your experience?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

it's a really silly build. I can see it working kind of in organized drops where the team is built around poptarting and sniping, but it's so vulnerable otherwise and there's way better options for snipers.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Amen....something we agree on! [Big Grin]

It's a fun build, and can be very effective, but overall not a good build.

Now....I have a guy in my unit running 5 PPC's very effectively, and that one is a little faster, and the heat is more manageable. But I'd say 4 is the sweet spot. You can put a ton of DHS in and fire more often, and add bump the speed. And 40 points of damage to a single panel, if you alpha strike, is significant.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.