FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Zimmerman Trial Not Delayed

Author Topic: Zimmerman Trial Not Delayed
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/06/us/judge-denies-request-for-delay-in-trayvon-martin-case.html?_r=0

Though this sounds like standard jockeying for position and advantage on both sides. It's been awhile since the Zimmerman family was in the press for doing something...unwise?...so I wonder if their attorney has finally gotten a lid on things, or whether when the trial draws nearer we can expect more shenanigans. June 10th is the set date, by the way.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean like setting up another defense fund, and then conspiring once again to flee with the money?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thesifer
Member # 12890

- posted      Profile for Thesifer           Edit/Delete Post 
Just being a general d-bag seems to be working enough for him.
Posts: 164 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I couldn't speak to his life much before the shooting (though he seems to have had questionable judgment in some cases as to what an emergency actually was), but I suspect he's hardly been a defense lawyer's dream client since.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
that's putting it mildly. his lawyer should have tied him to a chair and forbid him from talking, ever

anyway Trayvon, in death, continues to be a great way to dredge up the racist dirtbags, that no-good thug

http://www.mediaite.com/online/former-sc-gop-exec-director-fires-off-racially-charged-tweets-during-the-super-bowl/

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Heh, I read that story. I wonder if he consciously decided, "I don't want a serious political career, ever," or if his personality made such a decision redundant.

It's a bit odd in our society-we've cued pretty well to phrases and expressions that 'sound' racist and are taught to avoid them. 'One of my best friends', 'you people', that sort of thing, and a variety of others including some that could be said without pointing to much if any racism or prejudice, but are nonetheless avoided for the sake of messy conflict.

But this story seems to have turned over a rock on a different set of expressions: how one can know someone else is a thug. Setting aside questions of whether or not Martin was a thug, because Zimmerman wouldn't have known any of that, for quite a few people it seems that all that is necessary are a few important elements: young, black, male, night, hoodie. More than once when I heard people describe Martin as a thug I replied, "Alright, well how did Zimmerman know that?" and with all seriousness, said more than once by more than one person, "C'mon dude, look at him," without ever seeming to realize what was actually implied.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not every person wearing a tut is a ballerina, but ballerina's do wear tutu's, and they are associated most strongly with the ballet.

Not every person walking through someone's yard, at night, with their faces obscured by a hoodie is a thug, but....most thieves and thugs do, and it is OK for that to make you wonder.

Not to shoot on sight, but that hardly seems to be what happened.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Would you say the association is anywhere even remotely as strong between tutus and ballet and hoodies and thugs?

Anyway, we've been down this road before. Suffice to mention that, as well as to say 'walking through someone's yard' isn't the whole story either.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I see fewer people wearing tutu's than hoodies. As a matter of fact. I won 2 hoodies myself. One is a Red Sox one, and one is plain gray. [Big Grin]

I don't know anyone other than drag queens and little girls who own a tutu.

I AM pretty sure that no one would mistake the 2 though. A thug wearing a tutu is just silly.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Yes. I see fewer people wearing tutu's than hoodies. As a matter of fact. I won 2 hoodies myself. One is a Red Sox one, and one is plain gray. [Big Grin]

best not walk on any lawns
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Heh, I read that story. I wonder if he consciously decided, "I don't want a serious political career, ever," or if his personality made such a decision redundant.

Well, I do wonder why he's described as a former-X rather than a current-X. Maybe this isn't the first time and the GOP widened up already.

(I kid, maybe?)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

I don't know anyone other than drag queens and little girls who own a tutu.

I AM pretty sure that no one would mistake the 2 though. A thug wearing a tutu is just silly.

Just to be clear (I can't tell if you're screwing with me, or generally funning, or straightforward here, hazards of text), you're suggesting that the association between tutu and ballerina is about as strong as between hoodie and thug?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.