FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good for playing. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good for playing.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never played the Metal Gear Solid games, but I hear good things (and some bad).

Anyone have any recommendations for RPGs? I'm open to other genres as well, but right now I'm looking for something new and interesting that will keep me engaged for dozens of hours. I've drained about 100 hours into Skyrim so far, but the constant freezes are bugging me into disinterest.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you played the greatest RPG ever, Fallout: New Vegas?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Kwea and Aros -

Does it get you to a level where you can play songs without the game in front of you?

It gets you to whatever level you want. I honestly believe it could get you to the level where you could play in a band within a year, given enough dedication.
I've only played about 4 hours of it and I know about half a song. The basics of it at least, and I find it interesting and fun to play. I'd say it gives you a good grasp of basics, but where you go from there is up to your level of dedication.

It makes practicing more fun, which should help a lot with kids learning, IMO.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a DS I nominate Dragon Quest 9. It doesn't have much of a story though.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

I have indeed played New Vegas. I prefer Fallout 3, though.

DQ9 was on my list, but it didn't seem like it had much of a plot going on, so I was torn. I generally prefer a good story with my games. What's good about it, in your opinion?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Class based gameplay that encourages creativity through mixing the skillsets of the class. And once it opens up the game is dope. One thing I didn't like about DQ8 was that it would be deficient to ever branch out once you had chose a characters skill path.

Good turn based design, about limiting the ammount of attacks the enemies get at you, but with a fast battle-speed. They end quickly but they're long enough to feel like you've been through a tug of war.

Relatively easy. But still engaging.

I just wish it had decided to have no story, instead of a mediocre one that feels like a chore to have to mash through dialogue bubbles for. I wish it said "Go to the cave. Just roll with it."

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Ha, nice. Well maybe I'll pick it up. I also want to try out the new Fire Emblem game, which is supposedly awesome.

My favorite DQ game was VII on the PSX. That game had a great story as well as fun gameplay.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bASdmh4URg

Whose excited for this?

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

http://store.steampowered.com/

rayman origins is six bucks. it's a must have for fans of platformers.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm going to add "Sim City 5" to my "good for playing" list because it is a very good game with no problems and the online component is fantastic and the sims definitely add to the game with their complex and enriching lives as agents in the game and they're definitely not shiftless hobos that work at a different place every day and just go home to the nearest house at night and their population is not fudged and traffic works great because sims definitely take routes based on more complex pathfinding systems than "which route is the absolute shortest" and the different city types are totally balanced and
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Dead Space 3 has the most fulfilling weapon crafting system I've ever seen.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Dead Space 3 has the most fulfilling weapon crafting system I've ever seen.

I'm really digging Kingdom's of Amalur's weapon crafting.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone played Endless Space? Looks really good, but I haven't bought it yet.

I like that kind of Master of Orion-type game. Galactic Civilizations 2 was so good.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I played endless space

it's essentially MOO3 lite, where everything devolves into each race being a ship hose, with the biggest ship hose winning (in a slow, grueling process)

add to that that the AI is much more patient and complete-minded than you are and will create a hojtrillion fleets to take each individual system from you and cut off your fleet hose (because you can't set rally points for ships, just build and fleet them individually from wherever they happen to be) and the end result is a MOO3 experience

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/04/Rayman-Origins-1.jpg

rayman is a visual marvel despite that it can run on a psp. everyone just try it already. if you have a pc compatible controller it's still six bucks

Samprimary
Member # 8561

i take back my previous statement about sim city being a good game that is good for playing. quality not-crazy news and information site "the blaze" has uncovered sim city's agenda!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/13/does-new-simcity-game-push-environmentalism/

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Sim City sucks. You guys deserve it.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:

So bad in fact the CEO of EA is leaving.

[Smile]

They need to fire way more people before that company won't be evil anymore.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:

the CEO of EA is leaving.

[Smile] .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMzWKrGtzJU&

[ March 18, 2013, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: umberhulk ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You might need to fix that URL umberhulk.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMzWKrGtzJU&
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.