FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Audiobooks

Author Topic: Audiobooks
BigDaddy
Member # 12970

- posted      Profile for BigDaddy   Email BigDaddy         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering do any of you listen to audiobooks instead of or as well as reading? I personally don't have an actual preference to it. Occasionally if the voice actors are good an audiobook can be more like listening to one of those old time radio shows, a good one that is. (I'm a fan of OTR). The Ender books particularly have good voice actors. It isn't very common, or at least I haven't found it to be, that an audiobook has more than one voice actor. The Ender audiobooks have several voice actors and different voices for each character including accents. This coupled with unique forwards and afterwards by OSC make investing in the audiobooks very worthwhile for any fans of the Enderverse. Just a suggestion.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many of us on here that are Audible users.

I love the new whispersync capability between Kindle ebooks and Audible. I always listen in my car, and love being able to pick up right where I left off before bed. Some of the deals are amazing to. Robert J Sawyer's newest book can be purchased as an ebook and audio book for the combined price of the hard back by itself in most independent book stores. I also paid around $10 total for Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box for both formats.

I have started to get into Wil Wheaton's narrations. Jim Dale's reading of Harry Potter is a truly magical experience. Frank Muller's readings have also been great.

Also, back to Robert J Sawyer, his WWW series was wonderfully done with multiple readers for different characters as well. One character in the book, the "conscious computer program" chose the voice of the person reading for him (Mark Vietor) as his voice in the novel. So you were truly hearing how the author actually meant for it to sound.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of Michael Kramer. He did all the Wheel of Time Series as well as all of Brandon Sanderson's books.

I've generally found the readers on Audible to be quite good readers. In fact the only bad experiences I've had with audio books has been with books I got from sources other than Audible.

Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm listening to Kramer read Wheel of Time and greatly enjoying it. Stephan Rudnicki does fantastic work with Ender's Game and Enchantment.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I am what you call an A1 audible member. The kind that Audible user that they know will buy into deals on their site, maintain my subscription, and pass on the gospel to my friends.

They actually have special phone numbers for people like me. True story.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite book experiences was listening to "Great Expectations" on audiobook. Unfortunately I can't remember which recording it was! It helped too that it was my first experience of that story. [Smile]

I think now with many libraries you can digitally check out audiobooks. How cool!

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madvogon
Member # 12938

- posted      Profile for madvogon           Edit/Delete Post 
In the past 4 years, I have depended on Audible, as I am recently blind. The only mistakes we have made with Audible were two badly abridged versions of The Ship Who Searched and The Generation Warriors. Both were pruned with a battle axe. Most of the books I have gotten in the past few years are well produced. Some memorable performances are Robert Charles Wilson's Spin/Axis/Vortex, highly recommended in any format.

My only gripe with Audible has more to do with audiobook production than anything else. I really hate when Audible Frontiers shuffles readers within a series. This sometimes happens with other producers as well. I truly miss Cynthia Holloway reading Anita Blake.

We did have problems importing downloads from Brilliance into iTunes, but customer support dealt with the issue by exchanging our purchase for a disk copy.

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
I am what you call an A1 audible member. The kind that Audible user that they know will buy into deals on their site, maintain my subscription, and pass on the gospel to my friends.

They actually have special phone numbers for people like me. True story.

Audible certainly has my number here. They keep offering 3 credit deals and I keep buying! OTOH, when you consider the expansion of Audible in the past year, assuming no new books come out, my 2 paultry credits a month would keep me busy for the next 4 years. I am particularly pleased with the addition of Rick Shelley and William R. Forstchein, especially the out of print Ice Prophet trilogy.

Finally, for those of use who have been looking for the missing Stephen R. Donaldson books, it turns out that Scott Brick, the reader, owns the rights to some volumes, specifically the first trilogy and Fatal Revenant.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Some years ago Audible offered me a blowout deal that don't think has been offered since. Something like 24 credits at once for like 150 dollars. I took it. Still haven't burned through all my purchases from that era, but it was worth it.

quote:
I am recently blind
May I ask how you access and post on Hatrack, and how you web surf generally? I'm not up on brail and voice implementation for web browsers. Is it any good? Or do you just have someone to help you?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah seriously, how do you use the interwebs if you're blind?
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

You should all read Sawyer's WWW series. The main character is a blind girl who does just that.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Some years ago Audible offered me a blowout deal that don't think has been offered since. Something like 24 credits at once for like 150 dollars. I took it. Still haven't burned through all my purchases from that era, but it was worth it.

Last summer, Audible had a flaw in its programming that if you rapidly clicked the purchase button for the 3 credit sale, you could buy multiple sets of 3 for that sale instead of just the usual 3 credits. (you still paid the for all of them, just got the sale multiple times) The first time it was an accident, I end up with 9 credits. The next 2 times it was on purpose, then they fixed the bug. [Frown] Oh well I still got somewhere around 18 credits out of it.

I would love 24 credits for that price, its a lot of money at once and I would spend it way to fast for it to be reasonable but still.

As for audiobooks, there are a lot of factors but I am noticing a significant improvement in quality; readers are getting better (or the great readers are just getting more jobs), editing is becoming a large priority (there were several older audiobooks that the editing was so bad I almost stopped reading, one of them was book 9 of the wheel of time, to be 9 books in and ready to give up because of editing is just wrong).

I'm a huge Audible fan, I've listened to well over 1000 hours in the last 6 months alone with their app. I love reading books, audible just gives me more options, I wholly endorse it. (And do I want that A1 status!)

Also a big fan of Sawyer's WWW series

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually love audio books. That said, occasionally you'll get one that just doesn't work. Either the narrator is bad, or the recording is so old that the sound quality is just terrible.

I purchased all the Chronicle of Narnia books before listening to a sample - BIG MISTAKE! I really dislike the narration for that series.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoy audible. Like Stephan, I use the whyspersync feature where I can switch back and forth between my kindle and my audiobook. You can also frequently get audiobooks for dirt cheap if you have the kindle version, I have purchased several for under 5.00

So far my favorite audiobook has been wise man's fear, but under the dome was very good as well. I have been reading/listening to Kim Harrison's Hollows books and have enjoyed them as well.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkcook
Member # 12991

- posted      Profile for jkcook           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my first two books and what a mistake. If you don't have fast internet, it literally takes days to download the books. Then, the readers did not sound at all like they were "supposed to" from my reading of the book. I far prefer the monotone text to voice of my Kindle that leaves the sounds of the characters up to my imagination where it's supposed to be. It's as bad as watching a movie where the characters don't look like what you've imagined them to be. I'm sure I'll have the same dislike of the Ender's Game movie, watching teenagers when they're supposed to be six to eight year olds. I like listening to books on my Kindle, but I'll stick to its text to voice feature from now on. Well, except that OSC was greedy this time and didn't have it turned on. Now I know to resist and just read it if it's not available.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Well, welcome to the board. Sorry you didn't like the audio books. I can't imagine how slow your connection is if it takes days to download the books. Are you on dial up? Even on DSL it would take a lot less than an hour.

I personally can't stand the text to speech sound, I find it very distracting. But to each there own.

jkcook
Member # 12991

- posted      Profile for jkcook           Edit/Delete Post 
We have "lite DSL" which is slightly faster than an ISDN dial up. Sadly, Deutsche Telekom does not love its rural customers.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I can't imagine being without my high speed Internet. You do have to look at reviews to see how people like the readers. I have seen some reviews complaining about bad narration, and I avoid them.

It can be challenging when you first start listening to a story because the voices will never be exactly what you expect. However I have found that a good narration can really grow on you.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Something that I'm finding really irritating about audible (which I'm very new to; I started a subscription late last month): I've been looking at a lot of works in translation. When I open up the page for a given work, I often find that not only are the reviews are for non-audiobook copies of other translations of the books.

That's...pretty much useless.

[Edited for clarity]

[ May 06, 2013, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Jake ]

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer reading, but since I have several commutes, I've added audiobooks to my repertoire of things I do. I quite like OSC's audiobooks - the multiple voices help a lot, especially with the great talent they choose.
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.