FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mormons, Gays and Polygamy (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Mormons, Gays and Polygamy
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
Where do you get that I'm apprehensive?

Apprehension means understanding. As in to apprehend. To catch the meaning of something.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I am considerably older than you are. I also grew up in a small town. I knew gay people before I know about sex.

I also knew gay people and knew about gay people before I knew about the birds and the bees. We had dinner at the house of some old friends of my father, and my parents explained that they were two women who liked each other, which was the way some people are. Very un-traumatic and non-revolutionary for a 5 year old to grasp. In fact I only remember because it was one of them that turned me on Star Wars and lent me the films. Looking back, it wasn't really material for a 5 year old, but it was the 80s.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Evil? And anyway, you've certainly been holier than thou yourself, so that complaint is about as reasonable as your dig at Orincoro for soapboxing. This is a topic about which people feel strongly, and such things are there for pretty much all of us. You could save yourself some time by stopping the pretense of being above it.

Who has time for pretense?
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

I'll admit that at times I'm effuse, but my fundamental premise still stands -- based on my worldview in rural Utah, as a teenager, I would have been truly shocked if a gay youth had been sent from their home for being gay. It's not a norm in Mormon communities. And based on personal experience, I'd infer that it would be more likely to occur in a Catholic or Baptist community.

Conversely, based on the doctrine of the church, I would find it highly likely for a scared kid to be afraid of the reaction they might elicit from parents or peers. Scared enough that they might runaway from home voluntarily (as I did at one time). But I think that scared kids do a lot of stupid things, Mormon or otherwise.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
It then hits a significant inflection point and begins rapidly going down, until in 2010 only about 45% of the population believe it's immoral.

::slight quibble::

45% of the population *say* that they believe it to be immoral.

As we can surmise that the percentage shift is due to a number of factors like demographic shift, cultural change, population replacement rate, etc, we can also surmise that some number of respondents will simply answer any such survey in the way that they perceive to be most socially acceptable, even if those responses are given anonymously.

I forget what you call this, but there is a well established effect on certain types of polling and survey data which pushes a significant number of respondents toward the socially acceptable answer.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
I'll admit that at times I'm effuse, but my fundamental premise still stands -- based on my worldview in rural Utah, as a teenager, I would have been truly shocked if a gay youth had been sent from their home for being gay. It's not a norm in Mormon communities. And based on personal experience, I'd infer that it would be more likely to occur in a Catholic or Baptist community.

Your fundamental premise appears to be that according to your admittedly naive understanding of your community, something which you never personally observed is not a norm in your society. Because you say so.
Aros
Member # 4873

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

Your fundamental premise appears to be that according to your admittedly naive understanding of your community, something which you never personally observed is not a norm in your society. Because you say so.
- I admitted that both myself and my community were somewhat naive, or sheltered, compared to the larger culture of Western society. I didn't claim that my understanding of my community of naive.
- Observing a dearth of something is still observation. If I've never witnessed a car flying, and someone claimed that Mormon's flew flying cars, I'd say that I have a pretty good point to disagree with them.
- Because I say so? Certainly, because I say so. Most of this discussion is based on anecdotal evidence and hearsay. Even when scant statistical data is used, it isn't enough to hold up to even minimal scrutiny.

Aros
Member # 4873

quote:
quote:

Apprehension means understanding. As in to apprehend. To catch the meaning of something.
It can, in some cases. In the quoted usage, however, the primary definition of fearful or anxious was implied.

Are we going to start playing "you're a bigot, not me, and I'm more liberally sophisticated than you, because. . . ."?

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
It then hits a significant inflection point and begins rapidly going down, until in 2010 only about 45% of the population believe it's immoral.

::slight quibble::

45% of the population *say* that they believe it to be immoral.

As we can surmise that the percentage shift is due to a number of factors like demographic shift, cultural change, population replacement rate, etc, we can also surmise that some number of respondents will simply answer any such survey in the way that they perceive to be most socially acceptable, even if those responses are given anonymously.

I forget what you call this, but there is a well established effect on certain types of polling and survey data which pushes a significant number of respondents toward the socially acceptable answer.

Social desirability bias.

I'm less interested in the absolute values, though, and more interested in the trends, particularly the fairly significant change point around 1990. And even if the effect is due in part to social desirability bias, it's still interesting to wonder why the perception of social acceptability would change so abruptly.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
@BlackBlade

In reference to your latest post (I don't have time to quote or address it all): yes, the situation is always more complicated than it looks. Of the handful of stories I shared (and many more I can think of) there is far, far more to each person and each story than the one line explanation I give. People are complex creatures.

What gets me, though, is that in *all* cases the victims - whether or not their story is completely accurate - are just that. Victims. Their parents were in the place of authority and trust, and it was their (the parents) responsibility to care for and provide for the child in question, to be the more mature individual in the relationship, and to provide a safe and understanding environment for the child to grow up in. And the damage being done to the victims is also real - it's hard to grasp just how damaging being homeless for any amount of time is to anyone, let alone a child. On top of the emotional and psychological damage of privation and loneliness, they get taken advantage of sexually, they get beat up pretty constantly, a lot of times it sets them back so far educationally that they never recover, and God forbid they get arrested or get a police record. If they ever get off the street again. Abandoning a child like that is pretty much destroying, or at least doing a lot of damage, to their life. However much the victim incited his parents against him or rebelled, there is simply no excuse, no ameliorating factor, that makes it any better. Even if the kid is physically violent, he'd be better off in a boarding school or even juvenile detention than homeless. And there are *plenty* of social services and options for troubled teens - I've volunteered with quite a few of them.

For most of my life, due to who I am and choices I've made, I've found myself in places where I associate with or work to help the rejects and outcasts of our society. It's been a major theme in all the posts I've made here since 2009 when I was still working with the Wheeler Mission through the present. And one thing I've found is that those doing the outcasting, the marginalizing, the bullying and discriminating - by which I mean, those who by fate or gifting find themselves in places of power and respect socially - always have some justification for what they do. "Someone needed to put her in her place", "come on man, we're just messing with you! You need to grow a thicker skin", "I try to be kind, but he's just... weird. I think he likes the attention", "He was rebelling against us and leading our other children into rebellion", "she'll thank us for it one day"... and on and on and on. What doesn't change is that *they're* the ones with the power, authority, and ability to hurt, and therefore *they're* the ones with the responsibility for how they misuse that power.

FWIW, all the stories I mentioned are true. There are several hundred stories of that nature I could tell, if I took the time to write them down. (There are several hundred more that, regretfully, I have forgot. The memories of them are nothing more than a face here, a name here, a few words here...) The majority are not from LDS families. I simply mention LDS because, well, that's what this thread is about. And because of the uniqueness of the fact that money was never an issue in any of the stories involving LDS that I recall. (Money is almost always the deciding factor)

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
quote:
quote:

It can, in some cases. In the quoted usage, however, the primary definition of fearful or anxious was implied.

No, it was not. Trust me- I would be the one making the implications. Had I said "apprehension about," then it would have meant fear. But I wrote, "apprehension of," which means your ability to understand or to gather understanding of something. Trust me. I wrote it. I know what the implication was.

quote:
Are we going to start playing "you're a bigot, not me, and I'm more liberally sophisticated than you, because. . . ."?
I passed on making light of the fact that you lept to the idea that I was calling you fearful even when I wasn't- but now you've pressed upon me with your insecurity to the point where I am forced to point it out to you.

I have no need for you to know the extent of my sophistication. If it is not evident in how I communicate, then attempting to impress it upon you in explicit terms would have the opposite effect from the one desired. But you are clearly very interested in proving that you can keep up; and that ought to be enough for you to apprehend (get it?), that you are not succeeding.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

I'm less interested in the absolute values, though, and more interested in the trends, particularly the fairly significant change point around 1990. And even if the effect is due in part to social desirability bias, it's still interesting to wonder why the perception of social acceptability would change so abruptly.

Even accounting for bias, the answers are clearly evidence of an abrupt change. I think those who haven't -excuse the expression- gotten religion in regards to homosexuality in acceptable society would say that the tail wags the dog; that the media pushes our desire to be accepted to the point that the numbers shift this dramatically. My experience with marketing theory and working in the media tells me that it is very, very hard to convince people to do something they wouldn't normally do anyway. Most of advertising and opinionated fiction is convincing someone that you have something in common- not that they are wrong.
Aros
Member # 4873

Orincoro -- really? Because your persuasive, intelligent argument was. . . .

There's a grumpy old troll. Living under the BRIIIIDDDDGGGGEE. A grumpy old troll . . . living under the BRIIIIIIIDDDDDDDGGGGGEE.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Thank you for proving my point.
Aros
Member # 4873

No wait . . . I'm waiting for you to be persuasive or intelligent or something other than the nerd glaring over the rim of his glasses. Seriously. I'm certain you'll posit an argument any second.

Or maybe I'm just apprehensive of your astounding intelligence. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are really bad at sick burns. [Frown]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
is it already time for this again
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's always time for sick burns, man.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.