FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » E3 2013

Author Topic: E3 2013
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
So day 1 of E3 has come and gone, and it was amazing. Microsoft came out and rocked peoples' socks off with the games, and then, right when I didn't think they could be topped, Sony comes on stage and does it with "we support used games and we don't require online connectivity" as well as showing off a plethora of games.

Final Fantasy Versus 13 has been changed to Final Fantasy XV. Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced, along with Halo 5 and tons of other games.

There's still two days left with plenty of games soon to be announced and discussed.

What do you guys think? Who won E3?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The PC.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Nintendo.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Nintendo
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Playstation crushed the Xbox. If we're talking straight up console wars, I think they come out the clear winners.

In the grands scheme of things? I probably agree with Tom, the PC. But the Playstation news will at least have me considering one after a couple price drops.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Playstation 4 GOLD
WiiU SILVER
PC BRONZE (by default, Xbox ONE got lost on the way to the bathroom an hour a go)

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Well so far I have no intention of ever buying an XBoxOne, but could see myself getting a PS4 someday after a pricepoint drop or two.

But honestly its pretty unlikely that I'll buy any console this generation. Any free time I find to game (which is rare these days) can be satisfied by doing so on my PC.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Has Nintendo given their conference yet? Last I checked they hadn't done anything. It's going to be tough for them going up against two major system announcements. Still, they've promised to show off Smash Bros, Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda, so who knows.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft actually had the best press conference but they still lost miserably.

It's curious that there will be no PC version for The Division. That game looks amazing.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Microsoft actually had the best press conference...
I don't agree with this one, actually. Microsoft had all the suits out, talking bro-speak and suit-speak. Sony at least tried to address the audience as if they were human beings.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

I'm just glad the majority of the games I want are also going to be on the playstation. Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, etc.

The only exclusive on Xbox One that I actually care about is Halo, and even that's not worth the cost they're asking.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
I don't agree with this one, actually. Microsoft had all the suits out, talking bro-speak and suit-speak. Sony at least tried to address the audience as if they were human beings.
Seriously, right?

I felt *so* condescended to in the Microsoft conference, as if they think adult gamers are really 5-year olds with a different set of buzz words.

If I hear the phrases "on the cloud" "living worlds" or "Triple A exclusive new IP" I think I'm going to barf.

Nintendo didn't exactly improve significantly on this problem, but at least it was "Watch this please." Then afterward, "This version of Mario Kart will have anti-gravity true three dimensional racing, with gliding, and underwater modes. We think you will be quite pleased with these developments."

They weren't speaking like robots designed to talk about gaming.

That said, Nintendo needs *way* more third party support if they are going to last this generation. And they *need* to get Pokemon off their hand-held consoles and onto their WiiU.

Also, if Nintendo is going to do so much heavy lifting in the game department, they've *got* to develop new franchises. When it's Mario Kart 8 and Mario Party 10, it's high time they get back to something new.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
we're down to a console generation where only one of the major players is really inspiring a good degree of confidence in the product

Post-reboot E3 remains mostly a hype show that consoles put all their stock into, but you get a better sense of the state of gaming affairs by going to PAX

the division™ the completely scripted e3 movie event™ looks nice, so I hope the game is nice too

elder scrolls online is being crossplatform developed for consoles, and is going to be absolutely terrible

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And they *need* to get Pokemon off their hand-held consoles and onto their WiiU.
I haven't paid attention to Pokemon since 1998, when I was ten. I have never owned a Gameboy, never played a single Pokemon game that they have made. If Nintendo made an open-world 3D Pokemon game... I would pawn things in order to buy a WiiU and a copy of the game. I can easily justify why I shouldn't, but considering I dumped things like Pokemon for Final Fantasy VII my wallet would be defenseless in the face of my true childhood wish.

Thorough gameplay + Arcanine...... [ROFL]

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I haven't paid attention to Pokemon since 1998, when I was ten. I have never owned a Gameboy, never played a single Pokemon game that they have made. If Nintendo made an open-world 3D Pokemon game... I would pawn things in order to buy a WiiU and a copy of the game.
A lot of people feel this way. And to be honest, I think it would basically ensnare yet another generation of younger gamers if executed properly. They are ensuring their company's survival for another 10 years.

But the designers are too damned fixated on it being portable. It was an awesome idea back when consoles just couldn't connect online, so bringing your Game Boy to school or a friends house was the only viable option.

It's stupid now.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
Nintendo didn't have a conference, really. Instead, they released a new Nintendo Direct video that you can watch on the Nintendo website. Most of it looked great to me.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DustinDopps:
Nintendo didn't have a conference, really. Instead, they released a new Nintendo Direct video that you can watch on the Nintendo website. Most of it looked great to me.

I have to preface this by saying I own a WiiU and 3DS.

I actually thought Nintendo Direct was horrible. They essentially announced nothing we didn't already know about. My gripes in no particular order:

1) Mario 3d Land: Simply a rehash of an old idea

2) Donkey Kong: Look, I like Donkey Kong as much as the next guy, but there was a new Donkey Kong two years ago. Instead of having Retro work on a new Metroid game, they have them make another DK? Come on!

3) Wonderful 101: Not really anything new here

4) Super Smash Brothers: Mega Man is cool. The rest of it though looks just like the same game we have played before. That isn't a bad thing, was just hoping for something a little more innovative.

5) Mario Kart: Again, it just sounds like Nintendo is calling these in. Having anti-gravity just sounds like a gimmick to me. Honestly they should have combined this with the Sonic racing games if they wanted to breathe new life into the series.

What did I like?

1) The new Monolithsoft game. I cannot express how excited I am for this. Tetsuya Takahashi is an absolutely amazing story teller. Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade had great storylines. Xenogears in particular has my favorite storyline of all time.

Let's see, the rest of E3:

Sony won with the PS4. I'll still be playing everything on a PC though if it is available.

I was excited for FFXV and KH3 (Its about time) but I am still waiting for that Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross sequel. A new Vagrant Story or Valkyrie Profiles game would be nice as well.

Division looked pretty cool, until I saw Destiny. If Bungie can pull Destiny off (which they have a good track record of doing) then I will probably stick with that.

And of course, Dark Souls II. I am thinking I am going to put vacation time in now for next March. Two days to play the game, and another 5 days to recover. [Smile]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I'd forgotten about Monolithsoft's game. That really was very intriguing.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
I was excited for FFXV and KH3 (Its about time) but I am still waiting for that Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross sequel. A new Vagrant Story or Valkyrie Profiles game would be nice as well.
One impossible game at a time, Geraine.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Microsoft never spent over ten minutes talking about movies and music, at least that I recall. Sony did. The overall game content was actually better as well. It even began, not with anyone talking, but just a really cool trailer. I don't give a shit about the people talking.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Studios put trailers online, you know.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Yeah, but I like watching them when they first appear, and chatting about whats going with friends in real time. I'm not sorry old man.
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2) Donkey Kong: Look, I like Donkey Kong as much as the next guy, but there was a new Donkey Kong two years ago. Instead of having Retro work on a new Metroid game, they have them make another DK? Come on!

Did they actually say that Retro worked on the new DK game? If so, I missed it. I'm secretly hoping that Retro *is* doing a new Metroid.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Yes, they are.

I wish they were making Star Fox.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

I wish Nintendo would put out Star Fox, Metroid, Zelda, and Paper Mario Wii U games. I'd totally get the system if there was something to play besides your typical platformers (Mario and DK for example). The only exception so far would be Pikmin, and that's not even out yet.

As much as Sony and Microsoft screw up, at least they both understand that launching a console requires you to have a wide assortment of games consistently coming out on a regular basis. Shooters, platformers, RPGs, driving sims, sports, etc.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Mario Galaxy 2 is one of my favorite games ever, and I'm really disapointed that they're making another coop game.

[ June 12, 2013, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: umberhulk ]

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
Mario Galaxy 2 is one of my favorite games ever, and I'm really disapointed that they're making another coop game.

I know, I was a bit let down too. I guess it's because it's the Wii U, so they want to emphasize the co-op features.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.