FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Breaking Bad - The End. Spoilers through US aired season six episodes. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Breaking Bad - The End. Spoilers through US aired season six episodes.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I particularly liked that there were no 'I love yous' between Skyler and Walt, or Walt and Flynn. They didn't try to pivot back to some sort of emotional happily ever after-of any degree. Walt killed those relationships stone cold dead, with the only positive left as lingering hugely bittersweet regret for a relationship *long* past.

I'm embarrassed that I didn't see the ricin for Lydia coming sooner-truthfully I didn't twig to it until they zoomed into the tea, when everyone was supposed to get it.

Liked how Walt was able to tie in his vengeance against the Schwartzes and his need to try and get some money to his family.

Todd's ending was excellent, and I loved how Lydia was tapped out, looking stricken on her high thread count sheets with her humidifier.

I also liked how they highlighted how much luck has played a role-in the beginning when only a thin layer of snow on windows saves him from the cops.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I'm not sure how guessable it really was-it's difficult to tell for me since they layered so much foreshadowing in previous episodes, many episodes ahead in fact. I agreed with Jake,

What happened is almost exactly what I and a lot of my friends thought would happen. I read a guess on The Atlantic that was also remarkably close, and it was rejected by the author as being too guessable, too obvious, but it's exactly what happened.

It was almost an M. Knight Shyamalan type switcharoo. Get people so convinced that you can't guess what will happen that when you give them exactly what they expect, you get lauded for being tricky.

Meh.

I think it will go down as one of the more serviceable endings in the history of major TV shows. But I think a lot of people are just happy they didn't totally blow it, which is a pretty low standard. The New Yorker had a critic who wrote that she likes to think of the episode having actually ended in the car in New Hampshire, with Walt freezing to death in the car, and everything that followed was a fantasy. When you frame it like that, it's easy to see just how self-serving and fantastical the ending really was for Walt. It pretty much played out exactly as he planned and wanted it to from the moment he put the keys in the ignition. It would have been a bold choice, but I think it would have been far more in keeping with the show's nature to do something that extreme and out-of-left-field.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the best ending that could have been done. We can bemoan about not having any big twists but we would have been pissed if Walt had dream the last episode.

I enjoyed the episode, I think it was near perfect.

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.