FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 12 Years a Slave: 2013 best picture?

Author Topic: 12 Years a Slave: 2013 best picture?
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people really liked it.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I have pretty high hopes for it.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually think Gravity is going to be the best film of 2013, and not just because I have a director crush on Alfonso Cuaron.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't care for how he adapted The Prisoner of Azkaban. Oddly enough Christopher Columbus made better Potter films.

It did look good though, but there was something off about the way that film's story proceeded. It was as if Cuaron didn't have as much engagement with the material as Columbus did.

I only saw it in theaters though all those years ago, not sure if it is better than I remember. As far as I'm concerned the best thing about the Potter films was Kenneth Branagh's turn in the second film.

But Gravity does look good.

I so cannot wait to eventually see it via streaming.

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think The Counselor will be the best film. Let us duel.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Azkaban was by far the best of all the Harry Potter movies.

Christopher Columbus made great movies out of the first two books, because they were supposed to be more fairy tale and fun and full of wonder, which is what he did with them.

But by the third book, it was time to transition to a darker place, and that's exactly what Cuaron did. He made Hogwart's seem truly otherworldly, and for the first time gave it a darker palate.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpFmdLr0VmE

I always really liked this scene from Phoenix.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
And now I'm sad.

I agree with Lyr, I think Cuaron a great job with playing up HP's more unusual fantasy elements while also infusing the story with alot more humor and relateable moments. Lupin's Riddikulus lesson is one scene my brain always goes to. The music selection was usual but personality quirks make characters more interesting. I loved the students jostling each other, acting up like teenagers do. It was one of those moments that really made Hogwarts feel like a fully-realized school environment complete with rumpled uniforms and believably entertaining lessons.

Boggart scene

As for 12 Years a Slave, I had high hopes to begin with but it seems like every review I read or interview I see raises the bar even higher.

Cast and Crew talk about the film in a featurette

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.