FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Climate Change with More and Less Extreme Weather

Author Topic: Climate Change with More and Less Extreme Weather
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this opinion piece in The Washington Post to be kinda interesting.

But it raises a pretty old debate. In a world where people are phrenetically told Climate Change is all a lie that will be used to justify regulating their lives, is the correct solution first getting people to just hear Climate Change is causing harm over and over, and then work on nuance after that? Or should nuance be part of the conversation from the very beginning, even if human beings eschew it, and prefer explanations that are simple and easy to digest?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think lying to get people suitably scared is a good opening tactic, no.

But I mean you've linked to an article by Bjorn Lomborg, who is considered an evil climate change denier just lining his pockets with oil money. So... Not many true believers care what he has to say.

Also what world do you live in where we are constantly told climate change is all a lie? The vast majority of people in America believe it is happening. And believe that virtually all weather can be blamed on it.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in university in Utah (admittedly this was 2005ish) I was in a law class where climate change legislation was a being discussed. Out of a class of 30 students, only two of us believed climate change was real, man-made, and should be responded to.

After doing some research it appears the majorities shifted sometime around 2008, so I may be a bit behind in American attitudes regarding Climate Change.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Also Utah law class skews the numbers some.

Admittedly I live in one of the most leftist lefty bastions in the country so my personal anecdotes run the opposite way.

But yeah statistically climate "deniers" are in the minority in the US.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the nuance is needed right from the beginning. Two summers ago, I traveled to be trained as one of Al Gore's Climate Reality presenters. It was a huge conference room (probably 1,000 people) and lasted three days. Many of the guest speakers taught the methods of effective communication, the power of story, the power of images, the lack of power of graphs and figures, etc.

Then Al Gore came, gave his talk, and walked us through the ways in which it could be presented. Immediately, I felt uncomfortable about his presentation. It spent the first 10 to 20 minutes showing images and videos of floods, droughts, forest fires, and other devastating environmental disasters. Then came the message: this is climate change, it's happening, it's here, and it's bad.

Now, I'm a graduate student who studies climate change, so I have a fairly good grasp on the nuances and the numbers. But the way he presented it was all wrong. He beat us into an emotional dark zone, and piled all of that baggage on climate change. Droughts and forest fires and floods happen every year. They are normal aspects of weather. Yes, climate change is slowly, and increasingly, modifying the normal behavior, but it's gradual. It'll take a long time to get really bad. And he just blasted all of that nuance away from the very beginning.

The article does sort of the same thing. It makes some good points. It talks about the nuances and the complications of the science. And then it concludes by saying 'clearly, it's not happening, so stop saying it is.' Which, well, isn't nuanced.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
I don't think lying to get people suitably scared is a good opening tactic, no.

But I mean you've linked to an article by Bjorn Lomborg, who is considered an evil climate change denier just lining his pockets with oil money. So... Not many true believers care what he has to say.

Also what world do you live in where we are constantly told climate change is all a lie? The vast majority of people in America believe it is happening. And believe that virtually all weather can be blamed on it.

I love how counter productive and aggrieved your attitude regarding climate change is. The funny thing is not even escaping to Rapture would save you from the full effects of being able to ignore peoples suffering.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
While I believe climate change to be real, I don't believe we are having as great of an effect as some of the climate change advocates claim.

There was a IPCC report leaked a couple weeks back that showed that climate change isn't happening nearly as quickly as previously thought. It shows that the earth has not warmed in any significant way since 1997, Antarctic sea ice levels have actually increased.

Things like this report hurt the climate change advocates, as those non-believers will claim that this proves that man-made climate change is false.

I remember my father telling me that in the 70's people were telling him that man made global cooling was going to take us into another ice age. There are numerous climate change sites that try to refute this by saying that there was never a "global cooling craze" yet a quick search on youtube shows that there were numerous people that did reports and documentaries on the subject, including one narrated by Leonard Nimoy [Smile] (It was a show called "In Search Of" and it was released in 1978)

Then again,
http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2008BAMS2370.1

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
This is very simple example of Game Theory.

SUPPOSE we have a cubic grid that is 2 by 2, we have two actions and two outcomes with two results.

I shall attempt to sketch it here:
code:
							WE DO NOTHING| We Prepare
--------------------------
Global Warming is Real | We're Boned | Everybody lives!
|
Is Not Real | We're Okay. | We improve our
| | economic Efficiency

As we can see, it is illogical to do nothing because either we "think" and ignore science that nothing is happening. Or "think" and ignore science that it isn't as man made as we thought it is.

It's madness. By doing nothing (and it might even be too late!) we either doom ourselves to civilizational collapse or just happen to live really shitty mercury poisoned lives.

By doing something we either improve our chances of surviving as a civilization or we managed to make our economies more sustainable.

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was a IPCC report leaked a couple weeks back that showed that climate change isn't happening nearly as quickly as previously thought. It shows that the earth has not warmed in any significant way since 1997, Antarctic sea ice levels have actually increased.
This is misleading. Surface temperatures increases have slowed but deep ocean temperatures continue to rise, so overall warming is continuing and the ocean will eventually release that heat back into the atmosphere. Also, we've had longer and more significant cooling trends in the middle of our current long-term heating trend in the past. (look at what happened in the 40s - today's deniers would have been shouting from the rooftops that warming was debunked-and been wrong)

quote:
There are numerous climate change sites that try to refute this by saying that there was never a "global cooling craze" yet a quick search on youtube shows that there were numerous people that did reports and documentaries on the subject, including one narrated by Leonard Nimoy
What those sites point out, which your link also points out, is that there was very little science pointing in that direction so it makes a poor counterpoint to the overwhelming scientific support for warming. Scientists have little control over what the popular media decides to fixate on, so while a Leanord Nimoy documentary shows some popular interest in a cooling theory, it's not a reflection of the fickleness of scientific opinion.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
While I believe climate change to be real, I don't believe we are having as great of an effect as some of the climate change advocates claim.

Which advocates? There are many positions on climate change. You're talking about the 'alarmists?'

quote:
There was a IPCC report leaked a couple weeks back
Whoa. I was on vacation the past few weeks and missed this. There is a whole lot of crazy out there about this leak. A lot. Like, tons.

quote:
I remember my father telling me that in the 70's people were telling him that man made global cooling was going to take us into another ice age.
The science was young in 1970. Heck, plate tectonics was young in 1970. Front line science changes fast, as any scientist would tell you. I think it's time we stopped bring this point up.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elison R. Salazar:

This is not a simple example of Game Theory. It isn't amenable to a 2x2 grid, you've conflated expectations and outcomes, there is a continuum of actions, there is a continuum of outcomes, there are more than two players whose motivations need to be understood, there is information asymmetry, the costs of outcomes are uncertain and difficult to estimate, and on and on. Game theory may be useful for better understanding policy options surrounding climate change (in fact, Bjorn Lomborg, the editorialist linked in the OP, is a professional economist who has at times used game theory in his analysis), but your attempted application here is facile and violates several fundamental rules of good modeling and analysis.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Science is very clear and very confident on the subject of whether anthropogenic global warming exists (yes) and whether it is already significant enough to have measured effects on weather patterns (yes) and there are a lot of people who truly wish and really work hard to believe that there's much less certainty than there really is, and this is helped by a lot of specific interests that work very hard and pay a lot of money to ensure that there's enough FUD to go around over the issue.

quote:
I remember my father telling me that in the 70's people were telling him that man made global cooling was going to take us into another ice age. There are numerous climate change sites that try to refute this by saying that there was never a "global cooling craze" yet a quick search on youtube shows that there were numerous people that did reports and documentaries on the subject, including one narrated by Leonard Nimoy [Smile] (It was a show called "In Search Of" and it was released in 1978)
What is being told as a counterpoint to this "oh but in 1970 it was a global COOLING craze!" is that what that craze was was not even remotely analogous or comparable to the present scientific consensus on global warming.

Which is true. They weren't even remotely alike. You can even go to the wikipedia page about the craze and read almost right off the bat " This hypothesis had little support in the scientific community, but gained temporary popular attention due to a combination of a slight downward trend of temperatures from the 1940s to the early 1970s and press reports that did not accurately reflect the full scope of the scientific climate literature"

Compare that to global warming being near-universally recognized by legitimate exhaustively researched climatological science and all you have left is a dance to find any source, anywhere, that can feed a desire for more doubt than actually exists.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Science is very clear and very confident on the subject of whether anthropogenic global warming exists (yes) and whether it is already significant enough to have measured effects on weather patterns (yes) and there are a lot of people who truly wish and really work hard to believe that there's much less certainty than there really is, and this is helped by a lot of specific interests that work very hard and pay a lot of money to ensure that there's enough FUD to go around over the issue.

Of course, the uncertainty that matters isn't whether temperatures have warmed due to humanity's carbon emissions (they have) or even how much of the rise in global temperatures is due to our carbon footprint (probably most but not all). The uncertainty that matters is how much temperatures will rise in the future, and what effect that rise will have on quality of life across the globe. Often in these debates, the relative certainty about things in the past is used to obfuscate the relative uncertainty about what matters, which is what still lies in the future.

The IPCC has aggregated climate models in each of its reports to estimate what the future rise in temperatures will look like. It's difficult to evaluate the quality of these estimates since there's a lot of short term uncertainty and random variation in the models. However, I would say (and Nate Silver backs me up on this), based on scientists' self-reported uncertainties in those estimates, the rate of global warming over the past 15 years has been surprisingly slow. Which is just to say that predicting the future is hard, even when you have a good handle on the fundamental science, and it is wise not to overstate one's level of justifiable certainty.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
quote:

This is not a simple example of Game Theory. It isn't amenable to a 2x2 grid, you've conflated expectations and outcomes, there is a continuum of actions, there is a continuum of outcomes, there are more than two players whose motivations need to be understood, there is information asymmetry, the costs of outcomes are uncertain and difficult to estimate, and on and on. Game theory may be useful for better understanding policy options surrounding climate change (in fact, Bjorn Lomborg, the editorialist linked in the OP, is a professional economist who has at times used game theory in his analysis), but your attempted application here is facile and violates several fundamental rules of good modeling and analysis.
Um no, there is no cost-benefit analysis to climate change, its either we do something, and hope its enough and avoid the worst effects of the collapse of civilization as we know it, or do nothing or not enough and hundreds of millions likely die.

It really is that simple, the only difference is even making all the right "moves" at this stage may still not be enough.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Um no, there is no cost-benefit analysis to climate change, its either we do something, and hope its enough and avoid the worst effects of the collapse of civilization as we know it, or do nothing or not enough and hundreds of millions likely die.

It really is that simple, the only difference is even making all the right "moves" at this stage may still not be enough.

To create even a simple game you have to quantify costs (i.e. do a cost-benefit analysis), something which you did both in your example and in your rebuttal. I was just pointing out your understanding of the costs was not only absurdly facile, but also violated several fundamental analytic and modeling principles. I could rehash all the reasons why, but your inability to absorb them the first time through suggests it's probably not worth my time.
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

The costs are quantified, either you die for sure, or maybe not die if we're lucky. As for costs of preparation, that's just a cop out of the broader argument (Because seriously, what matters how much it "costs" to convert to a green economy if it means the human race surviving? You see that price tag and you just turn on the presses and confiscate or draft what or who is needed and get shit done).

Either we prepare and hopefully not die by not relying on the fictional "invisible hand" or we rely on the fictional invisible hand and die for sure. Your fixation on whether or not I'm using Game Theory correctly is just a red herring.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Not exactly, what if "doing something effective" actually costs more than "not doing anything"?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your fixation on whether or not I'm using Game Theory correctly is just a red herring.
No, the point wherein the demonstrated example of "game theory" is pretty facile is distinctly relevant to your demonstration and application of game theory.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Not exactly, what if "doing something effective" actually costs more than "not doing anything"?

Please outline the monetary cost that would be "too much" to prevent the death and displacement of hundreds of millions of people?

quote:

No, the point wherein the demonstrated example of "game theory" is pretty facile is distinctly relevant to your demonstration and application of game theory.

Can you point out which underlying complexity that contradicts the argument?
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Elison, you are reducing an incredibly, massively complicated scientific, political, technological, social, moral, and economic problem to an absurd simplicity. You would be well advised to read even a little bit of the IPCC Working Group III Reports (http://www.ipcc-wg3.de/). Their whole task is to examine
quote:
...new literature on the scientific, technological, environmental, economic and social aspects of mitigation of climate change...
and it's anything but simple.

Also, you may find the Stern Review interesting, enlightening, and complex. You might find some of your desired 'outline' here. I'm sure BlackBlade is too busy to write up a 700 page report for you, but luckily for us, Nicholas Stern already did it.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Elison:
quote:
Please outline the monetary cost that would be "too much" to prevent the death and displacement of hundreds of millions of people?

I don't have to, what if any and all of our efforts to curb climate change are ineffective, and that the means to block any sort of climate change that is unfavorable to us are technologically beyond our means?

If those things are true than every dollar spent towards climate change prevention is a waste of money, and instead we should spend money on climate adaptation strategies.

If the US spends $1trillion on getting itself compliant with low emissions, but China and India say "No thanks." What is accomplished?

stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
What if since all other consequences are ignored beyond the possible consequences of climate change we spend all the money we and all future generations have and the debt crushes us and the economy completely fails. Then the world is thrown into complete anarchy, millions are displaced/killed. Then, since we don't care about global warming anymore and we are set back in technology to a period with a much heavier carbon footprint we end up speeding up climate change.

Under that scenario it looks something like this.

Since I can't get formatting to work as well as you I'll split it into 4 lines

Global warming is real and we prepare: Everybody Dies!
Global warming is real and we do nothing: Everybody Dies!
Global warming is not real and we prepare: Everybody Dies!
Global warming is not real and we do nothing: We're okay.

Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Elison:
quote:

I don't have to, what if any and all of our efforts to curb climate change are ineffective, and that the means to block any sort of climate change that is unfavorable to us are technologically beyond our means?

If those things are true than every dollar spent towards climate change prevention is a waste of money, and instead we should spend money on climate adaptation strategies.

If the US spends $1trillion on getting itself compliant with low emissions, but China and India say "No thanks." What is accomplished?

I know what you're saying here, but a part of me is thinking, "What is accomplished? Why $1 trillion dollars is paid to workers, which they then spend, which helps us out of our current weak-demand economy." [Smile]
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
quote:
Elison:
quote:

I know what you're saying here, but a part of me is thinking, "What is accomplished? Why $1 trillion dollars is paid to workers, which they then spend, which helps us out of our current weak-demand economy." [Smile]
Link

[Big Grin]

stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:

Break all the windows!
Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

quote:
Elison:
quote:

Isaac Asimov has some good words on the subject.

Part of the problem is precisely because the United States doesn't want to do so in case China & India do not, and they do not want to do anything for as long as the United States doesn't. It has to start somewhere.

Though strangely I'm not sure why you think I am ruling out adaptional strategies. After all I wrote down "we prepare" in my original post, does preparation mean something different to you?

As for reducing it to 'absurd simplicity', well people don't read my posts if they're longer than 100 words, I am only adapting to that criticism.

Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

Here's the more informative argument that I believe largely supports the simplified logic I was using (with more information, complex argument etc):

http://grist.org/climate-change/2011-12-05-the-brutal-logic-of-climate-change/

quote:

The brutal logic of climate change

The consensus in American politics today is that there's nothing to be gained from talking about climate change. It's divisive, the electorate has more pressing concerns, and very little can be accomplished anyway. In response to this evolving consensus, lots of folks in the climate hawk coalition (broadly speaking) have counseled a new approach that backgrounds climate change and refocuses the discussion on innovation, energy security, and economic competitiveness.

This cannot work. At least it cannot work if we hope to avoid terrible consequences. Why not? It's simple: If there is to be any hope of avoiding civilization-threatening climate disruption, the U.S. and other nations must act immediately and aggressively on an unprecedented scale. That means moving to emergency footing. War footing. "Hitler is on the march and our survival is at stake" footing. That simply won't be possible unless a critical mass of people are on board. It's not the kind of thing you can sneak in incrementally.

It is unpleasant to talk like this. People don't want to hear it. They don't want to believe it. They bring to bear an enormous range of psychological and behavioral defense mechanisms to avoid it. It sounds "extreme" and our instinctive heuristics conflate "extreme" with "wrong." People display the same kind of avoidance when they find out that they or a loved one are seriously ill. But no doctor would counsel withholding a diagnosis from a patient because it might upset them. If we're in this much trouble, surely we must begin by telling the truth about it.

So let's have some real talk on climate change.

For today's inconvenient truths (ahem), we turn to Kevin Anderson, a professor of energy and climate change who was, until recently, director of the U.K.'s leading climate research institution, the Tyndall Energy Program. Anderson is a publishing researcher himself and, in his capacity as Tyndall director, was responsible for weaving together multiple lines of research and evidence into a coherent story. This year, with his colleague Alice Bows, he published a must-read paper called "Beyond 'dangerous' climate change: emission scenarios for a new world" [PDF]. If reading academic papers isn't your thing, he also delivers a digestible presentation here, or here with slides. (Discovered via Alex Steffen's excellent Twitter feed.)

Let's walk through Anderson's logic.

1. How much can global average temperature rise before we risk "dangerous" changes in climate? The current consensus answer is: 2 degrees C [3.6 degrees F] above pre-industrial levels.

The 2 degrees C number has been around for over a decade and was reaffirmed by the Copenhagen Accord just last year. Deciding on an "acceptable" level of temperature is a political and somewhat arbitrary judgment, of course, since it lets one number stand in for a wide range of heterogeneous considerations. But it's an important marker. And when it was first developed, it was based on the science of the day.

Here's a chart attempting to show, in simplified form, what amount of temperature rise will produce dangerous effects (the red zones) and what the 2 degrees C level means:

Image: Kevin Anderson, "Beyond 'dangerous' climate change"

Seems sensible enough. But there's a hitch: Climate science has not stood still for the last decade. According to the latest research, the level of damages once expected at 2 degrees C is now expected at considerably lower temperatures. Here's a graph that shows science's evolving understanding:

As you can see, the 2 degrees C "guardrail" that separated acceptable from dangerous in 2001 is, in 2009, squarely inside several red zones. Today, the exact same social and political considerations that settled on 2 degrees C as the threshold of safety by all rights ought to settle on 1 degree C [1.8 degrees F]. After all, we now know 2 degrees C is extremely dangerous.

At this point, however, stopping at 1 degree C is physically impossible (we can thank our past inaction for that). Indeed, as we'll see, stopping at 2 degrees C is getting close to impossible as well. There is no longer any reasonable chance of avoiding "dangerous" climate change, so 1 degree C vs. 2 degrees C is a somewhat academic debate. At this point we're just shooting to avoid super-duper-dangerous. Regardless, the numbers that follow are based on 2 degrees C.

2. For the purposes of limiting temperature rise to 2 degrees C, what matters is the total accumulation of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere -- our "carbon budget."

Anderson is adamant that the familiar targets almost all politicians and many scientists use in public -- e.g., "80 percent reduction in the rate of emissions by 2050" -- are deeply misleading. As far as the climate is concerned, the rate of emissions in 2050 relative to the rate of emissions today is meaningless. CO2 stays in the atmosphere for over a century; the atmosphere doesn't care what year it arrives. (Though targets in the distant future are comforting to politicians, for obvious reasons.)

The only thing that matters in limiting temperature rise is cumulative emissions, the total amount we dump into the atmosphere this century. When the total concentration of GHGs in the atmosphere rises, temperature rises. That is the correlation that matters.

If we want to limit temperature rise to 2 degrees C or less, then there's only so much carbon we can dump in the atmosphere. That is our "carbon budget" for the century, the amount we have to "spend" before we're in the danger zone. As best we know, the global carbon budget for this century is between 1,320 and 2,200 gigatons (There are too many uncertainties in the science to be more precise than that.)

3. With a carbon budget, it's possible to develop a carbon reduction pathway.

Once the global carbon budget has been determined (and divvied up among countries -- more on that in subsequent posts), it's possible to conceptualize a way reduce carbon fast enough to stay under that budget. Here's a generic example of a carbon reduction pathway:

mage: Kevin Anderson, "Beyond 'dangerous' climate change"

A key fact to remember: For a given carbon reduction pathway, the later emissions peak, the faster they have to fall to stay under budget.

4. Any carbon reduction pathway that limits temperature rise to 2 degrees C shows global emissions peaking extremely soon and declining extremely quickly.

Right now, global emissions are rising, faster and faster. Between 2000 and 2007, they rose at around 3.5 percent a year; by 2009 it was up to 5.6 percent. In 2010, we hit 5.9 percent growth, a record. We aren't just going in the wrong direction -- we're accelerating in the wrong direction.

(Most climate modeling scenarios, e.g. the Stern Report, underplay the current rate of emissions growth, leading to sunnier-than-justified results.)

The growth of emissions is making the task ahead more and more difficult. The longer we wait to start shrinking emissions, the faster we'll have to shrink them to stay under budget. Here's a visualization of what that means -- some sample reduction curves with varying peak years (the four different lines are based on the four main IPCC scenarios):

As you can see, if we delay the global emissions peak until 2025, we pretty much have to drop off a cliff afterwards to avoid 2 degrees C. Short of a meteor strike that shuts down industrial civilization, that's unlikely.

How about 2020? Of the available scenarios for peaking in 2020, says Anderson, 13 of 18 show hitting 2 degrees C to be technically impossible. (D'oh!) The others involve on the order of 10 percent reductions a year after 2020, leading to total decarbonization by 2035-45.

Just to give you a sense of scale: The only thing that's ever pushed emissions reductions above 1 percent a year is, in the words of the Stern Report, "recession or upheaval." The total collapse of the USSR knocked 5 percent off its emissions. So 10 percent a year is like ... well, it's not like anything in the history of human civilization.

This, then, is the brutal logic of climate change: With immediate, concerted action at global scale, we have a slim chance to halt climate change at the extremely dangerous level of 2 degrees C. If we delay even a decade -- waiting for better technology or a more amenable political situation or whatever -- we will have no chance.

6. Jeez, 2 degrees C looks hard. Can we just do 4 degrees C [7.2 degrees F] instead?

It might seem that, given the extraordinary difficulty of hitting 2 degrees C, we ought to lower our sights a bit and accept that we're going to hit 4 degrees C. It won't be ideal, but hitting anything lower than that is just too difficult and expensive.

It's seductive logic. After all, to hit 4 degrees C we would "only" have to peak global emissions in 2020 and decline thereafter at the relatively leisurely rate (ha ha) of around 3.5 percent per year.

Sadly, even that cold comfort is not available to us. The thing is, if 2 degrees C is extremely dangerous, 4 degrees C is absolutely catastrophic. In fact, according to the latest science, says Anderson, "a 4 degrees C future is incompatible with an organized global community, is likely to be beyond 'adaptation', is devastating to the majority of ecosystems, and has a high probability of not being stable."

Yeeeah. You'll want to read that sentence again. Then you'll probably want to pour yourself a stiff drink.

Obviously, "incompatible with an organized global community" is what jumps out, but the last bit, "high probability of not being stable," is equally if not more important. One of the most uncertain areas of climate science today has to do with feedbacks -- processes caused by climate change that in turn accelerate (or decelerate) climate change. For instance, heat can melt the Arctic permafrost, which releases methane, which accelerates climate change, which melts more permafrost, etc.

Based on current scientific understanding, positive climate feedbacks -- the ones that accelerate the process -- considerably outweigh negative feedbacks. At some level of temperature rise, some of those positive feedbacks are likely to become self-reinforcing and effectively unstoppable, no matter how much emissions are cut. These are the "tipping points" you hear so much about.

But at what level? Will hitting 2 degrees C trigger runaway positive feedbacks? It's difficult to know; this is one of the most uncertain areas of climate science. James Hansen thinks 2 degrees C will do it. Others disagree.

But the situation becomes considerably clearer around 4 degrees C. At that level, there's good reason to believe that some positive feedbacks will become self-reinforcing. In other words, 4 degrees C would very likely be a way station on the road to much higher temperatures.

That makes the notion of "adapting" to 4 degrees C a bit of a farce. Infrastructure decisions involve big money and long time horizons. By the time we've built (or rebuilt) infrastructure suited to 4 degrees C, it will be 5 degrees C [9 degrees F]. And so on. A climate in which conditions are changing that fast just isn't suitable for stable human civilization (or for the continued existence of a majority of the planet's species).

Oh, and by the way: According to the International Energy Agency, we're currently on course for 6 degrees C [10.8 degrees F]. That is, beyond any reasonable doubt, game over.

So this is where we're at: stuck between temperatures we can't possibly accommodate and carbon reduction pathways we can't possibly achieve. A rock and a hard place. Scylla and Charybdis.

What does it mean for the way we think about climate policy? I'll address that in my next post.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.