FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I really haven't seen all that much of "Star Trek: Next Generation"

Author Topic: I really haven't seen all that much of "Star Trek: Next Generation"
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
I was always under the impression that I had, I guess mainly from catching the occasional episode here and there in the mid to late 90s and watching all the films. Some guy on imdb made a list of all the watchable episodes and I'm going through them now. Even the first season episodes amongst them ain't bad.

quote:
Where No One Has Gone Before
The Battle
Home Soil
Heart of Glory
Where Silence Has Lease
A Matter of Honor
The Measure of a Man
Contagion
The Royale
Time Squared
Q Who
Peak Performance
Evolution
The Survivors
Who Watches the Watchers
Booby Trap
The Enemy
The Price
The Defector
The Vengeance Factor
The Hunted
The High Ground
Deja Q
A Matter of Perspective
Elementary dear Data
Sins of the Father
Yesterday's Enterprise
Tin Man
Hollow Pursuits
Sarek
Transfigurations
The Best of Both Worlds, Part I
The Best of Both Worlds, Part II
Family
Brothers
Remember Me
Future Imperfect
Reunion
Data's Day
The Wounded
Clues
First Contact
Galaxy's Child
Night Terrors
The Nth Degree
Identity Crisis
The Drumhead
Redemption 1
Redemption 2
The Mind's Eye
Darmok
Silicon Avatar
Unification 1
Unification 2
Cause and Effect
The First Duty
I, Borg
The Inner Light
Relics
Chain of Command 1
Chain of Command 2
Ship in a Bottle
Face of the Enemy
Tapestry
Lessons
The Chase
Frame of Mind
Second Chances
Timescape
The Pegasus
Lower Decks
Thine Own Self
Preemptive Strike
All Good Things 1
All Good Things 2

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is the one where Picard is imprisoned and he's asked how many lights there are.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Darmok is probably my favorite episode, if only for that scene.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

- posted      Profile for Heisenberg           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, some of my favorites...

The Inner Light is up there, probably my favorite overall. Darmok was cool if only because it chucked out the universal translator for one episode, and like Dogbreath said it had a couple of very good scenes.

I'm not a big Worf fan but I liked Parallels, especially the ending with the hundreds of different Enterprises.

The Wounded was a good one, showcasing for one of the first times I remember in Trek actual racism and having O'Brien continually drop one of the trekkian n-words.

Schisms, that one where Riker and some others are being alien abducted 20th century folktale like isn't really that good, but it's stuck with me because I first saw it as a child and it creeped the hell out of me.

The Pegasus is less cool on a rewatch but the first time you watch it, when you don't know the ending and what really happened, it's pretty damned good. Blatantly anti-warhawk in the best Trek fashion.

Measure of a Man was pretty good. Again, I don't know how much of this is biased by my memories of seeing it as a child. I do know it was the first time I really thought about what sentient life is and whether it had to be human.

Q-Who is a classic, if only for introducing the the Borg and Q's line "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires, both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."

There's lots more. It's a really good show. Have fun with it. When you're done move on to DS9, it's just as good and maybe even better, just in a different way. Pretend Voyager never existed and you'll be happier.

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday's Enterprise.
Darmok.
The Inner Light.
Measure of a Man.
The Best of Both Worlds 1 and 2.
Pegasus
The Lower Decks.

Off the top of my head, those are probably my favorites.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
My favorite is the one where Picard is imprisoned and he's asked how many lights there are.

That's the Chain of Command two-parter.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronin
Member # 1749

- posted      Profile for Ronin           Edit/Delete Post 
The Drumhead is one of the best of the series. It also offers great prophetic commentary on the current state of surveillance.
Posts: 1896 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
The Inner Light is my favorite, followed by Darmok.

Pegasus was awesome because.....Phase cloaking.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heisenberg:
There's lots more. It's a really good show. Have fun with it. When you're done move on to DS9, it's just as good and maybe even better, just in a different way. Pretend Voyager never existed and you'll be happier.

I went through all of DS9 about a year ago. Amazing series.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires, both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
That is such a good quote.

You know, I feel really bad for screenwriters. You can go on wikiquote and see an awesome quote or read about it decades later because it was in a novel. Everyone remembers the closing lines of The Great Gatsby or a Tale of Two Cities, and those lines are credited with the names of the authors. But how many people know who wrote the big speech in Braveheart or the lines at the end of Cassablanca? I'm sure there are some, but I doubt very many people know. It seems like with film, directors get the big credits, but the screenwriters are so screwed over, and even more in TV. Makes me a little angry, honestly. Like said, TV is even worse. How many people know who wrote the lines in an episode of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, or Lost? Most of the time, it's not the showrunner or director, but rather one of several writers in a room working and revising scripts. It's so sad, but I guess they don't mind that much.

Still, I'd want the credit.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh
Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched every single one, back to back in order...on netflix.

Man, seasons 1, 6 and 7 baaaaaad.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
quote:
If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires, both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
That is such a good quote.

You know, I feel really bad for screenwriters. You can go on wikiquote and see an awesome quote or read about it decades later because it was in a novel. Everyone remembers the closing lines of The Great Gatsby or a Tale of Two Cities, and those lines are credited with the names of the authors. But how many people know who wrote the big speech in Braveheart or the lines at the end of Cassablanca? I'm sure there are some, but I doubt very many people know. It seems like with film, directors get the big credits, but the screenwriters are so screwed over, and even more in TV. Makes me a little angry, honestly. Like said, TV is even worse. How many people know who wrote the lines in an episode of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, or Lost? Most of the time, it's not the showrunner or director, but rather one of several writers in a room working and revising scripts. It's so sad, but I guess they don't mind that much.

Still, I'd want the credit.

I tend to look up writers if there's a really good episode of a show. That's how I realized certain writers I already liked wrote for multiple mediums (like Peter David).
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
what a strange thread necro this is
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
what a strange thread necro this is

What, you gonna tell me how to do my necromancy? [Razz]
Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Good timing. I'm about to do a rewatch of TNG to introduce my room mate, who has never seen any of it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Skip to season two...one baaaad
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
If there is time travel, avoid it. Trek can not do consistent time travel. Babylon 5--good time travel, it had consequences. Star Trek--different rules each episode, with no consequences at all--except for that one Ground Hogs Day episode.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.