FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » X-Men: Days of Future Past trailer

Author Topic: X-Men: Days of Future Past trailer
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
http://youtu.be/pK2zYHWDZKo
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

A lot of people thought the last movie was going to be pretty bad, because it changed hands a few times and had a pretty harsh development. It was surprisingly good, however. With the same team and better resources, this has the potential to be epic.

I'm hoping for a three hour movie that spends 2/3 of its time in the past. . . .

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmms. I have friends that will probably drag me to this, since they dragged me to the last one. This time I don't have any particular attachment to anyone - the last few films, it's been Cyclops or Emma Frost I've been disappointed in, so I'm imagining that I'll be just kind of meh on the whole thing.

But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. [Smile]

Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
If any of this means that the events of the third movie never happened, that would be fantastic. I am glad they have been able to salvage this franchise.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda gave up on the series because the 3rd one was so unwatchably bad.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
This actually looks REALLY good.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

- posted      Profile for Heisenberg           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Last stand and both Wolverine movies were crap, but this one looks like it could be cool. Still only a trailer though.
Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Origins Wolverene wasn't crap...it was just...shallow like the kiddie pool. Gavon Hood directed...he has a new one coming out soon. Something about a game ending...haven't heard much about it.

X3 was BAD.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heisenberg:
Yeah. Last stand and both Wolverine movies were crap, but this one looks like it could be cool. Still only a trailer though.

Sorry but no. The new Wolverine movie is actually pretty good. I'll give you Origins, but not the new one.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

Origins was crap so stinky that a person who walked into the bathroom an hour after you took an Origins gagged. Last Stand was similar.

I'll admit that the last Wolverine one wasn't that bad, but it was nowhere near being good, IMO.

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

What was so bad about it?
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, the biggest problem was that it was boring. Seriously boring. I was looking at my watch from about a third of the way through it on. YMMV, of course.

I hated the first Wolverine movie for being too cartoony (if they took out the scene with the Blob, my hatred of it would drop significantly. I don't want a silly Wolverine movie) and hated the second for being dull. There were a couple of good scenes but otherwise it was just going through the motions.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
If any of this means that the events of the third movie never happened, that would be fantastic. I am glad they have been able to salvage this franchise.

This isn't a retcon. At the end of the new Wolverine movie Professor X shows up with Magneto and they speak to Logan.

Also in the new Wolvering movie, there are flashbacks to X3.

At the end of X3 during an after credits scene, Moira Taggert is in a hospital room when you hear Patrick Stewart say "Hello Moira"

Earlier in X3, there was a story on the news about some guy in the hospital. Most agree that this has something to do with the after credits scene.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

www.thebentbullet.com

Cool little website, set up as an in universe report/article on what looks to be one of the new movie's defining moments.

Definitely spoilerish; it confirms the deaths of three of the people in the last movie between films (though they're the type of characters whose absence would have been addressed by a throwaway line anyway.) It also is pretty clear on what Lehnsherr and Mystique either did or got framed for.

It doesn't really go into details, though. It's a fun little read, I recommend it.

Definitely looking forward to this movie now, it looks awesome. At the very least the advertising department is doing their job right.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Which three people in the last movie were killed? I couldn't find any familiar names, other than Magneto. The talk of the "double" Oswald was obviously Mystique, though.
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

Azrael, tornado guy, and it says a 19 year old mutant was found dead at the strip club she used to work at, who I'm assuming was the mutant played by Lenny Kravitz's daughter.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
previous post works well started with "stop me if you've heard this one .."
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
This movie looks great.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Unfortunately, while the trailer does look cool, that doesn't mean it will be. I remember watching the trailers for Spiderman 3 and X-Men: The Last Stand and thinking "Man, that looks great". Of course, I was wrong. Man, was I wrong.

I hope we're all not wrong about this one.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Iron Man 3 and Dark Knight Rises too. still eager to watch it though,

it is juggling a somewhat unwieldy cast, and sometimes that can be a bad sign.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Yeah I agree with you. Personally I can't stand Halle Barry as Storm, but she's only in it for a little bit. Hopefully this movie really delivers. The only thing I think they should bring back from X3 is Beast. He was great. Kinda disappointed Kelsey Grammar isn't returning.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
"you need to go back in time and prevent X3 from ever happening"

best metamovie premise ever

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Watched the new Wolverine movie over the weekend.

I really wanted to like it. There was a lot in it to like. But it fell flat. And ultimately very boring.

Spoilers:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The whole movie we are told how grandpa is such a great guy. But (other than his quest for immortality) there is no character development to explain him becoming such a bad guy at the end.

The robot was terrible. And if the robot was so hard to defeat, why would they think just a big fall would kill grandpa?

How does Wolverine remember 1945? Did he get his memory back somewhere in the three X-Men movies that I missed?

The evil scientist white chick was terrible. Just a reason to have a white girl in a tight outfit.

How do you just have your adamantium sucked out? They were his bones. The movie would have ended right there. If he lost his adamantium, how did Magneto control him in the credits scene? He doesn't have it back because we clearly see his skin/bones claws. Was it just his claws that were sucked out? Still doesn't explain getting his natural claws regrown before getting his healing power back (did I get the order of that right?).

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Wolverine faces the same problem Superman faces. Invulnerability. How do you make a fresh story about someone that can't really be hurt?

You either take his powers away, or put him up against someone else that can't be hurt. Two movies. Done.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
The whole movie we are told how grandpa is such a great guy. But (other than his quest for immortality) there is no character development to explain him becoming such a bad guy at the end.

My best guess is power. He became one of the wealthiest and most powerful people in the world. He also became obsessed with Logan's powers. After watching him for years and seeing how tragic his life was, he actually convinced himself that Logan would willingly go through the procedure. When that didn't happen, he became desperate.

quote:
The robot was terrible. And if the robot was so hard to defeat, why would they think just a big fall would kill grandpa?
His helmet was off and he was already so fragile that a slight fall would kill him. Without the protection of the helmet, his head would surely bang up against something and kill him. And that's assuming that he didn't land directly on his face. There's also the fact that when Wolverine removed his hands from the machine, the old man turned old again; I'm sure the physical trauma from that event would probably have killed him, even if the fall didn't.

quote:
How does Wolverine remember 1945? Did he get his memory back somewhere in the three X-Men movies that I missed?
He has flashes of memories all the time, even as far back as the first X-film. However, with this particular instance, he didn't remember what happened until later in the film. He remembers it gradually, but he still doesn't have his full memory back. He just remembers that moment where he saves the man.

Think back to X-2 when Wolverine goes to that dam in the snow. He starts to remember things because he's back in a familiar place. The same thing happens here. At first they're dreams, but eventually when he ends up back in the same location, he remembers saving the guy.

quote:
The evil scientist white chick was terrible. Just a reason to have a white girl in a tight outfit.
They needed more mutants in the film. If you notice, for an X-Men film, there's only a few. Plus they needed a mutant who could take away Logan's healing powers.

quote:
How do you just have your adamantium sucked out? They were his bones. The movie would have ended right there. If he lost his adamantium, how did Magneto control him in the credits scene? He doesn't have it back because we clearly see his skin/bones claws. Was it just his claws that were sucked out? Still doesn't explain getting his natural claws regrown before getting his healing power back (did I get the order of that right?).
Okay, this one is easy. He didn't get his adamantium sucked out. The machine was sucking his powers out through his bones, which is why it was making the old man young. He had bone claws afterwards because his metal claws had been chopped off. His healing abilities grew back the bones, but they can't replicate the metal, because that's not part of his natural body. And the rest of his body is still metal. I thought that part was pretty obvious.
Stephan
Member # 7549

Without healing, wouldn't the adamantium itself kill him?

I actually liked the lack of mutants. It made it the first one not about the mutant saga and history. A nice change of pace.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Without healing, wouldn't the adamantium itself kill him?

I actually liked the lack of mutants. It made it the first one not about the mutant saga and history. A nice change of pace.

Yes, you are correct. In the comics when his powers are taken away, he starts getting metal poisoning in his blood, but it's a slow process. In the film, however, the whole story takes place over the course of a few days, so there probably wasn't enough time.

I thought it was interesting that when his powers went away, he was still pretty tough, but didn't fully understand when to stand down. It makes sense, too, because he's so used to pain at this point that he's barely phased by it anymore and he probably wouldn't quite know when to stop fighting. He can't recover, though, so eventually he starts to really feel it all.

I also agree with you on the lack of mutants. There are really only about three of them, which is nice.

There are undoubtedly faults in this film, but at the same time it does a lot of stuff right. The entire opening with Wolverine living like a wildman in the wilderness is very well done. He walks right alongside a bear and he lives in a cave. That's classic Wolverine. The fight scenes were mostly really cool, too, and I actually liked the romantic elements in this one. Wolverine's really grown as a character by this point so it's nice to see them tackling his guilt and recovery.

Stephan
Member # 7549

From World War II to the wilderness, it was a great opening.
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
New trailer.

http://youtu.be/gsjtg7m1MMM

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer gomez
Member # 13159

- posted      Profile for Jennifer gomez   Email Jennifer gomez         Edit/Delete Post 
(Post removed by JanitorBlade. Mutant Spam.)

[ April 21, 2014, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Whistled
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.