FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » china (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: china
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, they should mind those islands there they don't control
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Your bias on the topic of China is thoroughly familiar in these parts, Elison, but surely you can bend far enough to acknowledge that the PRC's decision to simply ignore Japanese territory for over...hmmm, over a hundred and ten years, isn't it?...is surely provocative to say the very least.

In two hundred years, history will tell whether it was a big deal but c'mon. Right now, it's blunt aggression. You wouldn't expect any nation on Earth to casually tolerate such a thing unless it came from China, or possibly Russia.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne: Not at all, too bad they don't own those islands, the Japanese do. They have no more right to fly over those islands than they do Taiwan.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Blackblade -

What a tragic story. It's impossible to believe something like that could be kept secret in America if such a huge number of people were infected. It seems like a good case is made here for the necessity of government to provide protection via regulation and oversight.

Elison -

That's like the US starting a CAP over Cuba.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Blackblade -

What a tragic story. It's impossible to believe something like that could be kept secret in America if such a huge number of people were infected. It seems like a good case is made here for the necessity of government to provide protection via regulation and oversight.

Somebody read the link at the bottom of the previous page! [Smile]

It's an all too familiar story. Somebody stands up to corruption that is getting people killed, and local officials use the party apparatus to crush them until they escape or disappear.

Like Chen Guangcheng she is adamantly apolitical. I'd call her a hero, but I don't think she cares for that label, she just wants people told the truth.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Blackblade -

Somebody read the link at the bottom of the previous page! [Smile]

It's an all too familiar story. Somebody stands up to corruption that is getting people killed, and local officials use the party apparatus to crush them until they escape or disappear.

Like Chen Guangcheng she is adamantly apolitical. I'd call her a hero, but I don't think she cares for that label, she just wants people told the truth.

It occurs to me that this is also a story about just how disconnected parts of China are. I think in America we have a hard time conceptualizing just how cut off rural China is from the main centers of industry and power. America isn't perfect by any means in that real, with the inner city and some of the "heartland" somewhat disconnected, but not to the point where it seems whole territories are under an information blackout when something like this happens.

China still has a long way to go.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

"There is nothing wrong with an ADIZ per se, but China is using this to advance territorial claims against its neighbors and to attempt to extend its controlled airspace beyond its territorial waters. An editorial in the Wall Street Journal put it this way: "The U.S., Japan and other nations also have air defense identification zones in which planes entering their airspace must declare themselves, but there is a key difference here. China declared its intention to challenge planes and demand that they follow instructions in the new zone regardless of whether they intend to enter Chinese airspace or are merely transiting through the area. This is an attempt to interfere with the normal rules of global navigation and assert de facto Chinese control over a huge chunk of the Western Pacific. "
-Chuck Hagel (US Secretary of Defense.)

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
i guess the air in beijing is so bad right now that it is the health risk equivalent of a 21 cigarette a day habit
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

My friends have been posting the air pollution indexes. It's all sorts of horrible.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I read that yesterday the air quality index doesn't even have a number for how bad it was. It was actually off the charts.

Someone also told me that the air quality was equally bad in Pittsburgh in the early 50s, but I have a hard time believing that. Though given what they did in Pittsburgh, I also find it a reasonable suspicion.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Catching up on podcasts, listened to an interesting podcast on recycling (and reducing, and reusing) on CBC with a guest Adam Minter.
http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2013/12/17/junkyard-planet---a-look-into-the-multibillion-international-trade-in-trash/

His blog was also pretty interesting in the past although its more focused on his book now.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.