FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CEO's, celebrities and selective outrage (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: CEO's, celebrities and selective outrage
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you seriously actually arguing that the threat of a possible mutiny was never on a Captain's mind as a deterrence from shitty behavior "ever" because lol executions?

I mean sure, argue that if you want, it kinda just strengthens the labor union parallels since pinkertons were never able to stop trade unions from forming and achievement things like minimum wage and OHSA compliance, despite the use of violence.

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elison R. Salazar:
Are you seriously actually arguing that the threat of a possible mutiny was never on a Captain's mind as a deterrence from shitty behavior "ever" because lol executions?

Um, no?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuukka
Member # 12124

- posted      Profile for Tuukka           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
Just because the actor is a less interchangeable part of the film, doesn't mean they aren't overpaid.

A highly-paid cast doesn't insulate against a flop and a big star may help a film recoup its budget, but studios are still gambling. If the writers don't do a good job, if the promotors don't do a good job, the movie is finished. Can you argue that Harrison Ford was an integral part of Ender's Game making what little money it did?

I would also argue that paying actors so highly is seriously harmful to them and society.

Not sure whether you read my post about this issue, but I already more or less answered your question.

Ender's Game game is an epic-scale, SFX-heavy film, and it cost 110 million. Films need to be financed, before they are made. A name-actor like Ford helps to get financing. A no-name actor doesn't help to get financing. Of course Ford can't collect 110 million simply with his name, but he does help in collecting the overall sum.

The issue here isn't whether the film is a hit, or not. The issue is whether the film is even made, or not. You can't have a hit movie, if you don't even have a movie.

As far as actor salaries go, it's a question of supply and demand. There aren't really any "overpaid" actors, at least not in the long-term. The salaries quickly settle to the level where the actor gets the exact compensation he deserves, for getting the film financed in the first place, and for turning it into a bigger moneymaker than what it would have been otherwise.

[ January 13, 2014, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Tuukka ]

Posts: 273 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.