FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm finally a father!

Author Topic: I'm finally a father!
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've not been around for the past few weeks because my wife gave birth to our first child.

We went for a doctor's appointment on Friday, February 28th, and during her AFI test (Amniotic Fluid) it was found her fluid levels were extremely low. We were told to go to the hospital immediately. My wife was given a choice: Have a C-Section or have an IV with fluids pumped into her to attempt to get the fluid levels higher.

My wife chose to have the fluid pumped into her, but after 3 hours there was no change. The fluid levels were low enough that the doctor (who hates doing C-sections) told her that she needed to have the baby within the next 12 hours.

The birth was scheduled and at 7:01 on March 1st our little baby boy was born! He was a week and a half early, and weighed 8 pounds, 12 ounces. We named him "Ryker Yonader Lindsay." I wanted to spell it Riker but my wife shut that down. That doesn't stop me from saying "Number One, you're with me!" whenever I pick him up.

When I was a kid and people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer was always that I wanted to be a daddy. My father is my hero, and I wanted to be that person for a child. My wish has finally come true. I can only hope that I am the same kind of man my father was to me.

Here are some pictures!

http://i.imgur.com/1O2Ebfl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4oWyffu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4RFxsd5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/L4EaHsk.jpg

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! He's adorable.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
He's even cuter than the original Riker... Great name, but I can see why your wife wanted to change the spelling a bit!

Lovely.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! I because a father this year too, although I am a bit older than you. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a fine ship's commander. Congratulations, and glad everything went well.

My wife's fluids were low as well with our first, but we had an excellent doctor who kept very careful track during the final weeks. Then her water broke and she delivered naturally three weeks early. But it could have gone much differently.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Fatherhood is a fantastic adventure.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

I think on that third picture he is already trying the Vulcan greeting.

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

I have a 3-month old boy of my own, so we're embarking on this journey at nearly the same time. [Smile]

Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.