FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Suggest an author to me please

Author Topic: Suggest an author to me please
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished a Neil Gaiman kick, reading Neverwhere, American Gods, Anansi Boys, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. All fantastic books. I'm looking for someone similar to him; light, fantasy reading is how I would describe him/what I'm looking for. I picked up Hyperion from the library but it's a bit too slow for me (I don't have the best attention span for overly descriptive, slow-paced novels).

Does anything jump to mind that fits the bill? Thanks.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Terry Pratchett.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I was just reading about him. His book are described as mostly comedic/satirical though. I'm look more for good stories that are easy reads.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would describe Terry Pratchett's books, every single one of them, as "good stories that are easy reads." Try picking up Small Gods or Good Omens to see if he's up your alley.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I've been waiting for my library to get Good Omens in so I could complete my Gaiman kick, I forgot that was also by Pratchett.

Are the Discworld books better if read in order?

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of. There are different characters/story lines and it's best if those are read in order.

Personally, I love the Watch books (with Night Watch being my favorite Pratchett) and Death. The others are good but I don't enjoy them as much.

I think this is out of date, but it's still got most of the Discworld books with suggested starting points and reading orders.

I'd suggest starting with Guards! Guards! or Mort.

[ June 05, 2014, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Risuena ]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan Simmons' novels are definitely bloated, but if you can, try to make it through the two Hyperion books, they're great.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say only the first two Discworld books (The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, which you're better off skipping)) could really be called "satire," and even they are quite original and imaginative. The rest have some satirical elements (such as Wyrd Sisters borrowing it's plot from Macbeth, but telling it from the viewpoint of the 3 witches), but are their own stories in their own right and are definitely worth reading. Anansi Boys and Stardust are both very Pratchett-like books, to give you an example of how comical or satirical they are.

Also, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett wrote a book together, so I definitely recommend starting off with "Good Omens" if you want a transition novel.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Terry Pratchett is right what you are looking for.

The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes might fit the bill as well.

Thinking of that made me think of Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series, which I think would fit the bill as well.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
First, a disclaimer: I would not generally describe myself as being especially attuned to slow-burn, heavy world-building fantasy, either.

With that said, I've found Brandon Sanderson's work very entertaining. He is definitely a world-builder and slow-burn master, though. I started with Elantris and moved directly into his first two Stormlight Archive books, but I've since been informed that I totally did it the wrong way. [Smile] Apparently some of his other books are considered better than Elantris (which was his first standalone novel), and other books move faster than the Stormlight Archive books(which are over 1,000 pages each and are truly epic... and slow at times). I've enjoyed every book of his that I've read, though.

Of course, since your handle is "GaalDornick," can you really be all that opposed to an author that engages in massive world building across multiple-volume epic sagas? [Smile]

Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Dresden Files (Jim Butcher)

But beware ... the first two books aren't nearly as good as subsequent books in the series.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to recommend Dresden Files also. But I haven't read Neil Gaiman yet so I can't speak to whether the feel is similar. After reading the summary of American Gods the concepts seem somewhat similar at least. (re. Fantasy book based in America)

With Brandon Sanderson I would recommend Mistborn as a good start. Though I have loved every book of his as well, including his short stories.

Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Thanks for the recommendations. All those series should keep my book queue full for awhile. I'm going to start with some Discworld novels and check out Dresden Files and Gentlemen Bastards (both sound great).
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to try serious Pratchett, try The Long Earth written with Stephen Baxter.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Both Prachett and Butcher are outstanding choices. Jim Butcher just came out with a new Dresden book and I read it in 4 hours.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:
Dresden Files (Jim Butcher)

But beware ... the first two books aren't nearly as good as subsequent books in the series.

First three, in my opinion. But yeah, the series improves substantially as it goes.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sanderson
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I couldn't find any of the Discworld starter novels (per the chart posted above) in stock at my library, but I picked up the first Dresden Files and I'm about a quarter of the way through. I like it so far, definitely the kind of story I was looking for. I'm not too crazy about the writing style of the first-person narrative speaking in a conversational manner to us. But the plot has me hooked for now.
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

I dunno, I'm not sure it's possible to have a good detective novel without the rambling, sardonic inner monologue of a world weary, hardboiled, trenchcoat wearing detective. Or at least, not the sort of detective novel Butcher wants to write. [Smile] Don't worry, the writing improves considerably after the first few books.

[ June 09, 2014, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Dogbreath ]

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
I have only read the first 2 1/2 Dresden books. I actually liked the first one, didn't care for the 2nd and totally lost interest halfway through the third. Guess I should give it another try one of these days.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
I have only read the first 2 1/2 Dresden books. I actually liked the first one, didn't care for the 2nd and totally lost interest halfway through the third. Guess I should give it another try one of these days.

The first three books were completed before he was published. Grave Peril is probably the worst in the series (seriously). Summer Knight is betterish, but the series really starts getting good at Death Masks. There are some truly entertaining scenes in the series (Zombie Dinosaur...All I'm saying).
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

I dunno, I'm not sure it's possible to have a good detective novel without the rambling, sardonic inner monologue of a world weary, hardboiled trenchcoat wearing detective. Or at least, not the sort of detective novel Butcher wants to write. [Smile] Don't worry, the writing improves considerably after the first few books.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

^That sounds familiar...
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

So my phone browser does this weird thing where sometimes, hours or days after I post here, it reposts without my knowlege or consent. I usually catch it before most people notice, but a few of them have managed to slip by. It's incredibly weird.
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
quote:

The first three books were completed before he was published. Grave Peril is probably the worst in the series (seriously). Summer Knight is betterish, but the series really starts getting good at Death Masks. There are some truly entertaining scenes in the series (Zombie Dinosaur...All I'm saying).
I think the Zombie Dinosaur was the point where I went from thinking "ok these books are pretty good" to "holy crap, this is the greatest series ever written" and more or less devoured the rest of them.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Spoiler warnings guys!

I finished the first book last night. I enjoyed it a lot. I think I'm going to catch up on the series before I start on Discworld. Thanks to you guys I have a nice pipeline of reading to be done!

Thesifer
Member # 12890

- posted      Profile for Thesifer           Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for Sanderson Stormlight Archives.
Posts: 164 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
If my take on what GaalDornick is looking for is correct, I would think the Stormlight Archive is a little on the slow side. (That is going to be one long series filled with long books.) However, I highly recommend Sanderson. I'd go for The Rithmatist and/or Steelheart in the YA books and the Mistborn Trilogy (followed by Alloy of Law) before attempting the Stormlight Archive. Also, Legion is good, too, and let's not forget The Emperor's Soul! We can only hope that you'd want to read the Stormlight Archive after experiencing other Sanderson works first. [Smile]
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
quote:

I think the Zombie Dinosaur was the point where I went from thinking "ok these books are pretty good" to "holy crap, this is the greatest series ever written" and more or less devoured the rest of them.
Right?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked them a lot before that....but yeah. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Traceria:
If my take on what GaalDornick is looking for is correct, I would think the Stormlight Archive is a little on the slow side. (That is going to be one long series filled with long books.) However, I highly recommend Sanderson. I'd go for The Rithmatist and/or Steelheart in the YA books and the Mistborn Trilogy (followed by Alloy of Law) before attempting the Stormlight Archive. Also, Legion is good, too, and let's not forget The Emperor's Soul! We can only hope that you'd want to read the Stormlight Archive after experiencing other Sanderson works first. [Smile]

About half way through the fist Stormlight book. It only took reading Legion and Steelheart to convince me.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
quote:

About half way through the fist Stormlight book. It only took reading Legion and Steelheart to convince me.
Nice. [Smile] Steelheart isn't even in my top five, but if that's what hooked you, it only goes to show the depth of his work!
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

Same here! For the longest time Summer Knight was my favorite. Now I have no idea which one. Still working my way through Skin Game. I had to finish another book I was working on first.
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

Same here! For the longest time Summer Knight was my favorite. Now I have no idea which one. Still working my way through Skin Game. I had to finish another book I was working on first.
And I really liked Grave Peril. It's when most of the ongoing story elements / characters were introduced.
Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

I had a hard time getting through Grave Peril on the second run through. It wasn't as well put together as the first 2 books. Though, there *were* some pretty ridiculously entertaining scenes in it. That's the one with the vampire party, right? Cause that scene had me rolling the first time I read it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.