FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need 55 copies of Ender’s Game

Author Topic: I need 55 copies of Ender’s Game
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone - I know I don’t post much (I’m a chronic lurker) but this is the first place I thought of when trying to figure out my book choices this school year.

Let me back up a bit - I am a first year middle school teacher! I am realizing a lifelong dream/plan to teach and I am very excited! I decided to arrange my year around the question “What does it mean to be Human?” I really want to study Ender’s Game with my 8th graders as part of that exploration. The only problem is we are a very poor school and it is unlikely I will be able to purchase any books to use. About 3 years ago a micro-burst ripped the roof off of the school and the rains destroyed most of our materials. They are in the process of rebuilding but until the building is finished and we are moved out of modulars there is almost no budget for books. So far all I know for sure that I have access to is Holes. The middle school principal thinks there is a class set of The Giver but we couldn’t locate it last week. These kids don’t have parents who take them to the library and it is unlikely that any will be inspired to read if all we have to read is our textbook.

Anyway - does anyone here have any ideas on how to get 55 copies of Enders Game to use in my classroom with my 2 eighth grade classes? I’d like to study it second quarter so I have a little bit of time (shooting for November).

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe an Indiegogo or GoFundMe campaign?
Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 11809

I just checked. It looks like you could get 55 on Amazon for about $5 each. The total for 55 books comes out to $297.92 after tax. Though I have Amazon Prime with free shipping.

It seems like $300 would be an attainable goal for IndieGogo or GoFundMe. But maybe I'm overestimating. I've never actually done anything like this myself.

Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd even donate.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I would too.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 11809

As would I. I should have noted that above.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Wendybird--

If you'll send me some contact info (email; school where you work; supervisor/principal name and contact information), I may be able to help out, too.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
(Also, you should check the email you have registered with Hatrack. Just saying...)
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

Those are some great ideas - I didn’t think about Go Fund Me. I looked at Donor’s Choose which is a good option too. I sent my book list to the principal so hopefully she’ll get back to me with some idea of what, if any, the school can provide. EG and The Outsiders are the most expensive so I am sure I’ll have to do some fundraising for those two.

Scott - Checked my email. Thx.

I’m so excited to be teaching!

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

So a very generous person offered to provide the books I need! If you are still interested in helping I can share the other projects when I get them set up. The principal isn’t sure yet which of the other books they school is going to be able to provide (if any) so I know I’ll have a couple that I need to come up with.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had really good luck with Donors Choose.

If you have any students with reading disabilities you might be able to get free ebooks for them through bookshare.org. I have a small self contained classroom and I use it all the time.

Do you sell book through the Scholastic catalogs? It works like the book fair. Individual teachers get credit to buy classroom books.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread makes me very happy. [Smile]
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.

Suggestion, should you choose to use it: when you find out other titles, set up a wish list on Amazon. Then post the link here. We can buy them as gifts from your list and have them shipped to you without you having to disclose an address.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
You might try giving Adopt a Classroom a look. I haven't done much research on them, just found them in fact, but seems like they do just what you need.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
Me too.

Suggestion, should you choose to use it: when you find out other titles, set up a wish list on Amazon. Then post the link here. We can buy them as gifts from your list and have them shipped to you without you having to disclose an address.

+1 to this idea.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wendy, feel free to contact me as well. I am a middle school English teacher and taught EG last year to my 8th graders. Be aware - some parents will strenuously object to the content and the language in the book (I don't think it's bad, but I had parents up in arms over the word "bastard"),

You my want to ask your principal if you need to do a permission letter or something.

I'd be happy to share any tips or info. Congrats!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

Those are some other great options! I will be sure to let you all know what I set up [Smile]

Thanks Belle! I don’t anticipate any issues at this particular school. My husband teaches 5th grade there and based on the movies the majority of his class were allowed to watch EG is very tame! Its unfortunate.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Wendy, I'm planning on placing an order in the next week. Is there anyone at the school during the day now that can accept the delivery? I don't want to send it too soon.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

There should be. We start back to work on Thursday and school starts next week on the 14th. I know there will be teachers in and out this next week getting classrooms ready. thank you!
Wendybird
Member # 84

Middle School wish list - Amazon

I wasn’t sure if I posted this elsewhere but this is my Amazon wishlist if you prefer to order directly instead of using one of the donation links. Either way be sure that you will be directly helping my classroom and I am very appreciative!!!

Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so excited for you! Welcome to the teaching world. [Smile] Thanks for posting your wish list link. I teach 5th grade and while I don't teach Ender's Game, I do have a copy in my class library.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
I just tried your wish list link and it didn't take me to a wish list. [Dont Know]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

Hmm. Maybe I copied the wrong thing. Try this one:

Mrs. Curtis's Wish List

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.