FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Aereo loses at the Supreme Court

Author Topic: Aereo loses at the Supreme Court
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad]

http://online.wsj.com/articles/supreme-court-rules-against-aereo-sides-with-broadcasters-in-copyright-case-1403705891

Dear Broadcasters.
I wouldn't have paid for Aereo if your signals actually reached my apartment with anything resembling reliable service. Or at all.
You are jerkfaces.
No love,
The Amazee AZ.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not well informed enough about this case to have a very reliable opinion. But as for this court, a victory for larger corporate entities is less than surprising.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I know some broadcasters from other countries have gotten around the law by instituting a timed delay of 30 seconds or so, to avoid any issues with streaming "live television."

Did this ruling address that?

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me sad. I was hoping to use them in the future when I moved to a place where the apt complex didn't provide cable.
Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
I know some broadcasters from other countries have gotten around the law by instituting a timed delay of 30 seconds or so, to avoid any issues with streaming "live television."

Did this ruling address that?

No. The ruling was very specifically targeted just at Aereo. Basically it said that if it walks like a cable company and talks like a cable company then it is a cable company and is subject to the same regulations.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
the supreme court loses at being the supreme court
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.