FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have gotten around to Ender's Game

Author Topic: I have gotten around to Ender's Game
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote up a thing, but I can't post it here as the forum keeps giving me errors, so here's a link:

Link

I'll add a review/analysis sometime tomorrow.

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I just can't get over the battle room being in Earth orbit. Seeing the planet in the room at all times kind of screws with the idea of down being relative.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Stephan! That was a little disconcerting given the whole BIG deal “The Enemy Gate is Down” is. But overall I liked the movie. And honestly it never could compete with the awesomeness of the book so for it to be as well done as it was is commendable!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
I just can't get over the battle room being in Earth orbit. Seeing the planet in the room at all times kind of screws with the idea of down being relative.

Surprisingly I never noticed this, I think the camera work did a good job for me in confusing their relative orientation until the "down" gate was made.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice review! I still really am bugged (pun!) that the second invasion is deleted/merged, since it really makes the human actions obviously evil. I really think you should be able to look back and say, "Yes, this was a problem," but I shouldn't be having those thoughts at the 1/3 point in the film. Having the Formics boxed in just makes the humans look like bullies.

I did really like Bean's actor and most of his writing. And I'm so glad I'm not the only one mad that Val wasn't with Ender in the final journey. Though I maintain that she's totally in the bunk next to him offscreen. [Smile]

Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

Yeah deleting the Second Invasion makes Ender's and the I.F's motivations extremely difficult to reconcile; the Second Invasion is what gave the I.F certainty that the Formics were going to come again for Round 3 and they had no idea if they would figure out their deflector shields could be turned into a WMD.

Heck, its arguably the entire thematic question for the entirety of the Enderverse is whether Humanity is justified in committing genocide and Card clearly textually struggles with this virtually every book.

I'm actually kind of amazed, with Shadow's In Flight we see another reversal in the deconstruction-reconstruction cycle in that the Hive Queen is lying about something to Ender & Co and I can't wait to figure out if Card delivers.

millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too! I'm really, really hoping for Shadows Alive sometime soon to deal with that - clearly Card was musing about it way back in Xenocide, when he first revealed that the Hive Queen purges workers.

Even though I'm also really excited about Fleet School.

So many Ender's Game books to look forward to!

Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.