FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Daily Show and NPR (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Daily Show and NPR
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
You misunderstand. He recognizes that you are saying that an unbiased network doesn't exist, and believes you are doing this to essentially shrug off Fox's egregious, harmful practices as equivalent to everything else out there (as opposed to much, much worse than normal.)

He can believe whatever he wants. Samprimary is taking past interaction he has had with me to assume this, instead of taking my response at face value. He can certainly do that, but he would be wrong.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Then what was your point? You were responding to me talking about fox news to ask "what network is truly unbiased?" .... why?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps he was hoping someone would recommend Al Jazeera to him.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the saint remark was directed at a perception of the criticism of Lyrhawn's remarks.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say that Al Jazeera is "run" by the Qatar foreign ministry. Funded by them and the royal family, yes. They don't generally chose to exercise as much editorial control as they could. And a lot of the people who work there aren't even from Qatar or even the region.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They don't generally chose to exercise as much editorial control as they could.
this is going to sound extremely pedantic, but the point needs to be made nonetheless:

rupert murdoch doesn't choose to excercise as much editorial control over Fox News as he could. Or, for that matter, the CCP also doesn't exercise as much editorial control over Xinhua as it could.

The issue stands: qatari royals gonna royal

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I wouldn't say that Al Jazeera is "run" by the Qatar foreign ministry. Funded by them and the royal family, yes. They don't generally chose to exercise as much editorial control as they could. And a lot of the people who work there aren't even from Qatar or even the region.

This is the sort of remark that others have justly been criticizing. Is there some reason* to assume that the government and royal family** of Qatar are somehow such greater patrons of integrity, a free and active and independent media, and other generally very rare values on the governmental level that they should get a pass on this?

Just off the top of my head, from what I know about Qatar in passing. How's their coverage on migrant worker rights, for example? In any country, particularly their own of course. I believe Qatar has been described as an 'public prison' or some such by foreign ministries of some of the governments of many migrant workers, but I may be misremembering. I further wonder, since Qatar uses some form of Sharia law in some of their legal system (again, or did last I remembered), what's their reporting record on, say, women's rights in the United States? Or in the Arab world?

*There's a ton of incredulity injected into this word that likely doesn't show up in this context. This kind of trust and faith given to an institution such as a national government is more or less unheard of outside of the strongest partisan allies.

**I'm trying not to faceplant on my keyboard, the idea that any royal family, not just an Arabic royal family, is to be given this kind of slack.

-----------

Look, I ain't sayin' I'm not a fan of AJA. I am, in fact, particularly when put up against most American media. However, to me this is much more an indictment of the morally bankrupt and generally vapid quality of American media than it is a ringing endorsement of the journalistic integrity of AJA. Journalistic integrity, by the way, being something best measured by your integrity in reporting things close to home.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I know a bit about Qatar as we have a campus there. My boss, in fact, has spent considerable time with the Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. Certainly Qatar has the problems of inequality in both income and wealth issues and gender inequality that most Arabic countries have but they are far more benign than most. They have a commitment to western education - especially for women who because of tradition often don't go abroad to study. The Sheikha particularly is an intelligent, powerful woman.

Our professors teach journalism over there - often in partnership with AJA.

Do you think that it makes headlines in The Guardian when Rupert Murdoch influences editorial decisions?

Of course there is a trade off when the press is supported by the government as opposed to being owned by private citizens and required to make a profit. I think that AJA and the BBC and NPR do a far better job with far less interference than most of our for-profit network news.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
but you just can't, you just can't match up with the fodder and material that the american right wing just hurls at the daily show.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/07/15/todd-akin-compares-himself-to-joseph-mccarthy/
Samprimary
Member # 8561

addt: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/16/adam-kwasman_n_5591090.html?utm_hp_ref=tw
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
To put in my two cents, I think AJA is very flawed. It's also one of the best, if not the best news services around.

A lot of what was described in Samprimary's link to AJA has previously come up and are serious defects. Particularly in the cases where journalists in the Middle East resigned in response to non-coverage of the suppression of protests during the Arab Spring in only Bahrain, the championing of the Muslim Brotherhood, Libyan, and Syrian rebels, and Wikileaks exposure of their non-verbal agreement to remove coverage that the United States dislikes among a few.

That they should still be considered heads and shoulders above, particularly the US media, but a lot of media around the world should not be interpreted as a ringing endorsement but a simple acknowledgement that there is something terribly wrong with modern media, particularly when it comes to editorial control of foreign correspondents and foreign coverage of news events.

That's my two cents.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
... How's their coverage on migrant worker rights, for example? In any country, particularly their own of course.

On this narrow issue, I think they're actually doing an ok job. They're currently running a very good series on illegal immigrants entering the US. They also had a decent series on migrant workers working on the World Cup in 2022.

They even referenced things like Amnesty International and United Nations reports on the poor state of migrant workers rights without being all like "pshaww, foreigners, what would they know?"

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:

Particularly in the cases where journalists in the Middle East resigned in response to non-coverage of the suppression of protests during the Arab Spring in only Bahrain, the championing of the Muslim Brotherhood, Libyan, and Syrian rebels, and Wikileaks exposure of their non-verbal agreement to remove coverage that the United States dislikes among a few.

I wish that more journalists here would care that much.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/todd-akin-rape-comment-misspoke-109036.html?hp=f2

Keep talking, todd, keep talking. you're exactly what i'm on about yo

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good thing he retracted his meaningless apology. Now he's more honest!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

"I should have said a legitimate legal case of rape. I was speaking legally. When the female body has an understanding of that there is actionable legal transgression against their person based on state and federal code defining rape, that's when it shuts down. It has tiny lawyers instead of an immune system."
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I still think AJA is pretty solid.

They spend a lot of time talking about the problems in America, which I suppose could be construed as anti American rhetoric, but these are issues that are desperately in need of some sunlight.

America has a ton of problems, but we spend most of our time ignoring them. Has the needle really moved so far that even talking about our problems is considered anti American rhetoric?

Lyrhawn,

I would say rather 'a media outlet run by the Foreign Ministry of Qatar can do American journalism with more integrity and excellence than the American private sector, largely, has been able to'.

I think this has all the virtues of being true while maintaining the necessary really scathing elements of the criticism, but without the idea that Qatar is a saint.

I don't have a problem with that statement.

I think it serves more as a critical note of domestic journalism than as a genuine positive comment on AJA, which is I suppose what you were going for.

But I like to think I'm a pretty good judge of the media and I'm pretty aware of what's going on in America and the world. I read AJA regularly. I watch less regularly now that I have AT&T instead of Comcast. And I personally think they have great, solid coverage.

They cover a wide variety of subjects. They do a lot of mini-documentaries. They spend a lot of time talking about very serious issues in America that don't get talked about a lot with any serious level of inquiry.

It's a news source for people who actually want to be informed and not entertained.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.