FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Weird Al" is back. Who?

Author Topic: "Weird Al" is back. Who?
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
You've probably seen the two new videos "Weird Al" has debuted in the past two days. He plans on releasing six more over the next six days.

What do you think? Do you think he is still relevant as an artist? I wasn't sure until I saw these first videos. Now I'm sold. I think they are really good.

There have been complaints that the music he parodies is too old, and I think that's legitimate. "Blurred Lines" is soooo pre-Miley-Meltdown. But Al has addressed this by saying it will be his last traditional album. In the future he will likely release tracks one or two at a time to make them more immediate.

What do you think? Do you enjoy the new songs? Or should he just go away?

Or are you too young to even know who he is...?

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is that "The Saga Begins" earned him legend status in my mind. Long live Al.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcjgJSqSRU

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Weird Al, although it's been over 20 years since I actually bought an album of his. I should show some support for this album, I guess.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
That man is a national treasure.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
That man is a national treasure.

*Nod* His music isn't something I want to buy on an album or play in the car. But his music videos are infinitely rewatchable to me.

These last two videos have been great.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- buys the albums, plays them in the car.

His concerts are also great. Here he is singing "Wanna B Ur Lovr" to the lady in the row in front of us.

[ July 16, 2014, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the number of times that both videos have shown up on my Facebook newfeed, I'd say he's still relevant.

And the parodies are excellent. The "Tacky" video is great and I really want to learn all the lyrics to "Word Crimes." I thought "Blurred Lines" was incredibly catchy but disgusting to listen to. Now I can enjoy it for being upbeat, fun, and educational.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Pharrel needs to stop using his powers for evil.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Alpocalypse. I've been busy enough that I haven't listened to any of these songs yet, but when I get around to it, I full intend to buy this one.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://stansellseverything.ytmnd.com/
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
I must get over there and see these!

Odd coincidence: My husband and I were just talking about Weird Al yesterday. He'd been listening to the Essential Weird Al CD on a road trip and noted that some classics were still missing. Now he wants to pick up some old albums. I think it's safe to say we would support the claim Al is still relevant. [Wink]

I might not listen to him in the car myself, but I find his stuff is great for background music at work, especially during a rough day. Nothing like a good laugh over "White & Nerdy" or another song to break through work insanity!

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
here's the three officially released so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWo8apgLys

He did this one in a single continuous take a la pharrel's 24 hour music video take style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc&feature=kp

This one has all of the catchiness of Blurred Lines without being the crime against decency itself that the original song message and video was. It's prescriptivist to the extreme but i could care less

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

I didn't get the turn into left field. until i did.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
It took me about 10 seconds of "what the hell" before it clicked where he was taking it. (for the last one)

Last night my wife and I listened to all of his polkas in reverse order, starting with Now That's What I Call Polka! and going back. We realized he's been doing this for more than 30 years now, and he's outlasted quite a few of the bands/performers he's parodied. (Indeed, many of his parodies are now more remembered than the songs they were based on)

Also, we realized an hour of polka is just excessive.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been listening to the latest Comedy Bang Bang podcast, which is mostly Scott Aukerman and Al bantering back and forth, interspersed with snippets from the new album, and am enjoying it enough that I'll probably get the album even though I'm out of touch enough with pop culture that I haven't heard most of the songs being parodied.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't get the turn into left field. until i did.
Right? At first I laughed the first time he said "Aluminum Foil", then in just a second or two I was like, "Whaaaat....?" Then it totally made sense again.

Brilliant!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
Weird Al is still relevant, primarily because he works hard to be so!

That "Foil" video is just hilarious. And I might just use the "Word Crimes" video to help teach my son grammar. [Smile]

Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The Word Crimes video is brilliant.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
It took me about 10 seconds of "what the hell" before it clicked where he was taking it. (for the last one)

Last night my wife and I listened to all of his polkas in reverse order, starting with Now That's What I Call Polka! and going back. We realized he's been doing this for more than 30 years now, and he's outlasted quite a few of the bands/performers he's parodied. (Indeed, many of his parodies are now more remembered than the songs they were based on)

Also, we realized an hour of polka is just excessive.

I've had some very weird moments where I've asked myself why I know the song I'm hearing as it's blared at some public event, and realize that I know it from a Weird Al polka track. But I've never heard the original before. It's weird.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Handy
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
(Indeed, many of his parodies are now more remembered than the songs they were based on)

Anything parodied on "Bad Hair Day" I tend to remember his version more than the originals.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

Next up!
http://popcrush.com/weird-al-yankovic-first-world-problems-video/

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.