FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Or Great Quotes

Author Topic: Favorite Or Great Quotes
M81
Member # 13194

- posted      Profile for M81           Edit/Delete Post 
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
"If you can lay down two black stripes from the apex of one corner all the way to the braking zone of the next corner, you might have enough horsepower."

-Mark Donahue.

Note: This is coming from the man that mastered the art of driving the awe inspiring 1200hp plus Porsche 917-30 around some of the toughest tracks in the world and that still wasn't enough hp for him.

"Aerodynamics is for those that can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari.

I realize this is completely the wrong forum for those quotes but they are my favorites.

"I say we should take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M81
Member # 13194

Thank you for sharing.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
"Never underestimate the power and beauty of human stupidity." Jesse Blankenship--a friend of mine.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne (From "The Sands of Iwo Jima")
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
"Everyone is Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots." -Tenacious D
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
What one should add here is that self-consciousness is itself unconscious: we are not aware of the point of our self-consciousness. If ever there was a critic of the fetishizing effect of fascinating and dazzling "leitmotifs", it is Adorno: in his devastating analysis of Wagner, he tries to demonstrate how Wagnerian leitmotifs serve as fetishized elements of easy recognition and thus constitute a kind of inner-structural commodification of his music. It is then a supreme irony that traces of this same fetishizing procedure can be found in Adorno's own writings. Many of his provocative one-liners do effectively capture a profound insight or at least touch on a crucial point (for example: "Nothing is more true in pscyhoanalysis than its exaggeration"); however, more often than his partisans are ready to admit, Adorno gets caught up in his own game, infatuated with his own ability to produce dazzlingly "effective" paradoxical aphorisms at the expense of theoretical substance (recall the famous line from Dialectic of Englightment on how Hollywood's ideological maniuplation of social reality realized Kant's idea of the transcendental constitution of reality). In such cases where the dazzling "effect" of the unexpected short-circuit (here between Hollywood cinema and Kantian ontology) effectively overshadows the theoretical line of argumentation, the brilliant paradox works precisely in the same manner as the Wagnerian leitmotif: instead of serving as a nodal point in the complex network of structural mediation, it generates idiotic pleasure by focusing attention on itself. This unintended self-reflexivity is something of which Adorno undoubtedly was not aware: his critique of the Wagnerian leitmotif was an allegorical critique of his own writing. Is this not an exemplary case of his unconscious reflexivity of thinking? When criticizing his opponent Wagner, Adorno effectively deploys a critical allegory of his own writing - in Hegelese, the truth of his relation to the Other is a self-relation
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M81
Member # 13194

Samprimary, can you simplify that? It was difficult for me to get the theme and message out of it. The context was difficult to grasp and I am confused as to what you were trying to communicate. Thank you.
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by M81:
Samprimary, can you simplify that? It was difficult for me to get the theme and message out of it. The context was difficult to grasp and I am confused as to what you were trying to communicate. Thank you.

I think that's the point. He's very meta like that.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
"This is not the day I die"
- oberyn

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
What one should add here is that self-consciousness is itself unconscious: we are not aware of the point of our self-consciousness. If ever there was a critic of the fetishizing effect of fascinating and dazzling "leitmotifs", it is Adorno: in his devastating analysis of Wagner, he tries to demonstrate how Wagnerian leitmotifs serve as fetishized elements of easy recognition and thus constitute a kind of inner-structural commodification of his music. It is then a supreme irony that traces of this same fetishizing procedure can be found in Adorno's own writings. Many of his provocative one-liners do effectively capture a profound insight or at least touch on a crucial point (for example: "Nothing is more true in pscyhoanalysis than its exaggeration"); however, more often than his partisans are ready to admit, Adorno gets caught up in his own game, infatuated with his own ability to produce dazzlingly "effective" paradoxical aphorisms at the expense of theoretical substance (recall the famous line from Dialectic of Englightment on how Hollywood's ideological maniuplation of social reality realized Kant's idea of the transcendental constitution of reality). In such cases where the dazzling "effect" of the unexpected short-circuit (here between Hollywood cinema and Kantian ontology) effectively overshadows the theoretical line of argumentation, the brilliant paradox works precisely in the same manner as the Wagnerian leitmotif: instead of serving as a nodal point in the complex network of structural mediation, it generates idiotic pleasure by focusing attention on itself. This unintended self-reflexivity is something of which Adorno undoubtedly was not aware: his critique of the Wagnerian leitmotif was an allegorical critique of his own writing. Is this not an exemplary case of his unconscious reflexivity of thinking? When criticizing his opponent Wagner, Adorno effectively deploys a critical allegory of his own writing - in Hegelese, the truth of his relation to the Other is a self-relation

I don't know what book that's from, but Zizek definitely wrote it. It's especially funny that if you substitute "Zizek" for "Adorno," then the criticism is even more apropos.

Edit: Which of course ends up being evidence for the truth of what he's saying.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me."
- Frank Costello, The Departed

Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
And then I thought to myself, "You know, what they think of you is so fantastic, it's impossible to live up to it. You have no responsibility to live up to it!"

It was a brilliant idea: You have no responsibility to live up to what other people think you ought to accomplish. I have no responsibility to be like they expect me to be. It's their mistake, not my failure.

- Richard Feynman

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
,An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that deed must be done instead of prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated."
-Madelyn Murray O'Hair

"It's not true I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
On reports of her nude photographs for a calendar, as quoted in TIME magazine (1952)

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

oh that's just zizek, the dude who i have for some inexplicable reason decided to make a temporary focus, to really make sure I can process his statements and philosophy, and then incorporate him into a sense of (or critique of) the current state of Philosophy as an academic institution and community as it continues to cruise on a moribund orbit towards self-obsessed abstract-mostly-irrelevance

he makes an excellent candidate because he's so polarizing and possibly the picture of modern day philosophy itself

appropriately he's crazy so that helps

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
Stanisław Lem, Fables for Robots, my poor translation. I just love the humor.

A young scholar lived on Actinuria, Pyron was his name. He learned how to draw a platinum wire so thin, that one could fashion a net out of it and then snatch clouds with the net. Pyron invented a wired telegraph and then he drew a wire so thin, that it was no more; thusly a wireless telegraph was created.

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

oh that's just zizek, the dude who i have for some inexplicable reason decided to make a temporary focus, to really make sure I can process his statements and philosophy, and then incorporate him into a sense of (or critique of) the current state of Philosophy as an academic institution and community as it continues to cruise on a moribund orbit towards self-obsessed abstract-mostly-irrelevance

he makes an excellent candidate because he's so polarizing and possibly the picture of modern day philosophy itself

appropriately he's crazy so that helps

So you're reading him with a thesis already in mind? Doesn't that come perilously close to being an example of what the quote is talking about?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

i am reading him with a general approximation of the value of academic philosophy coalescing in my brain and figure i best get him out of the way before i pass any significant i'll-stand-by-this judgment on the value of spending my time caring about philosophy at all or investing any future time and effort on philosophy

it has at least gotten me this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-doRuonMoxw

Foust
Member # 3043

So, Less Than Nothing?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

yes! let us return to and exceed hegel himself, as part of the zizekian editorialized crusade towards murderous idealized leninism
Foust
Member # 3043

When was the last time the popular reception of a philosopher was in any way accurate? It's a scourge that philosophy suffers from uniquely; sure, Darwin had social Darwinism and quantum physics has new age garbage, but the list of philosophers who have been watered down or twisted into silliness is much larger.

I'm sympathetic to the guy, though I'm a bit bewildered at his popularity. If you're already reading Less Than Nothing, then you don't really need this, but here's a nice little intro anyways:

http://lareviewofbooks.org/essay/how-to-read-zizek#

Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
And then I thought to myself, "You know, what they think of you is so fantastic, it's impossible to live up to it. You have no responsibility to live up to it!"

It was a brilliant idea: You have no responsibility to live up to what other people think you ought to accomplish. I have no responsibility to be like they expect me to be. It's their mistake, not my failure.

- Richard Feynman

I love that quote. Such an interesting guy.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
When was the last time the popular reception of a philosopher was in any way accurate? It's a scourge that philosophy suffers from uniquely; sure, Darwin had social Darwinism and quantum physics has new age garbage, but the list of philosophers who have been watered down or twisted into silliness is much larger.

I don't think i have any particular care or consideration for his popular reception, but i do admit that when the article says "he is one of the most engaging and thought-provoking writers working in philosophy today" my initial reaction is to think "i didn't know philosophy was in that much trouble"
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
"Never take another person's dignity: it is worth everything to them and nothing to you."
- Frank Barron

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this thread and was about to post the Feynman quote, then saw that I had already done so 2 years ago.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

From The Old Astronomer (To His Pupil) by Sarah Williams

I misquote her for my email tag...

~For I have loved the stars too fondly to fear the night.~

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
"You know, what they think of you is so fantastic, it's impossible to live up to it. You have no responsibility to live up to it!"

That's a great one! ( I wish more people realized how this applies to OSC... )

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

One of my personal favorites. It is so comforting to look to the stars in Egypt or Los Angeles or Bangkok and recognize them as the same ones you see from your birthplace. <3
Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elcheeko75
Member # 13292

- posted      Profile for Elcheeko75   Email Elcheeko75         Edit/Delete Post 
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx. Maybe

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite quotes come from Antoine de Saint-Exupery, winnie the pooh, and Neil Peart.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why. - Mark Twain

A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what ships are for. - John Shedd

Faith is a refusal to panic. - Martyn Lloyd-Jones

Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. - Romans 13:10

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Joining the Feynman Love Club, I kept this quote from the Challenger accident report up on my whiteboard at work.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." -RPF

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.