FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Landmarks are reminders to help you get home

Author Topic: Landmarks are reminders to help you get home
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
For the uninitiated: Landmarks are posts originally made to commemorate a certain post count or life event. They are supposed to help people get to know you better. This is my first.

The other day I hugged my dad, weeping into his frail shoulder while he comforted me from his hospital bed. The tears dripped down from my face into the surgical mask that protected my father from any germs I may have acquired from my sick son. He hugged me as best he could, patting me on the back and talking to me like I was ten all over again.

My dad is succumbing to cancer he was diagnosed with about two years ago. If and when he is released from the hospital, hospice will hopefully be set up for him so he can remain comfortable in the weeks he has left.

The first "adult" book I ever read with parental approval was Ender's Game, at age twelve. This was the original paperback my father had no doubt grabbed on a business trip to DC, or South Carolina, or Seattle (my dad worked in the Navy, or for Navy contractors, my entire childhood). It had some of the more crude language in it, and, well, Bonzo and Stilson. It was glorious.

The next year, he gave me Speaker for the Dead. I wasn't ready for it at 13, but by the time I finished high school, it was my absolute favorite, though Treason is still my guilty pleasure, and Maps in the Mirror is probably, in total, OSC's best work(s). Eumenides in the Fourth Floor Lavatory, in retrospect, planted the seed of my HP Lovecraft obsession ten years later.

I don't know what happens yet. I have a family of my own, a great job, and a part of me wants me to turn back the clock to be ten or twelve.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing Bok, I'm so sorry you and yours have to go through this.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry you're going through this, but glad that you have wonderful memories of your father introducing you to books you've loved and that have shaped who you are. Let me know if I can help in any way (including IRL since I think we're still in the same area).
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers, Bok.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.