FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Net Neutrality Wins! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Net Neutrality Wins!
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Two steps forward, one step back.

[ January 08, 2015, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Elison R. Salazar ]

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna experiment with a thing I saw at another fora a few yonks back.

Fully-Insured Woman Faces Bankruptcy After Being Taken to Wrong Hospital

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tertiaryadjunct
Member # 12989

- posted      Profile for tertiaryadjunct           Edit/Delete Post 
If she hadn't naively trusted Obamacare maybe she would have bothered to stay conscious enough to shop around for the best free-market deal. She probably could have found a chiropractor willing to tackle the job for a cool 80 bucks; you'd be amazed at what a healthy spine will do for you.
Posts: 89 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The key legal question in Herx's case is whether she was fired for religious reasons or her firing was an illegal act of sex discriminations.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act bans employers from discriminating on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, and national origin. An exemption in that law allows religious institutions to favor members of their own faith during the hiring process. But there's no religious exemption for sex discrimination—which is how Herx is framing her dismissal.

The devil is in the details...
Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tertiaryadjunct:
If she hadn't naively trusted Obamacare maybe she would have bothered to stay conscious enough to shop around for the best free-market deal. She probably could have found a chiropractor willing to tackle the job for a cool 80 bucks; you'd be amazed at what a healthy spine will do for you.

If this isn't sarcasm you are a moron....

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
The ACA only saved her half. We should repeal the ACA. It isn't working.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's sarcasm.
I should note, by the way, that I live in Madison and this particular issue -- the fact that there are four competing hospital systems within ten blocks of each other, each of which has its own contract with a specific insurance provider -- is a major concern. I make sure to carry my insurance card with me at all times.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

quote:
Originally posted by capaxinfiniti:
quote:
The key legal question in Herx's case is whether she was fired for religious reasons or her firing was an illegal act of sex discriminations.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act bans employers from discriminating on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, and national origin. An exemption in that law allows religious institutions to favor members of their own faith during the hiring process. But there's no religious exemption for sex discrimination—which is how Herx is framing her dismissal.

The devil is in the details...
Since most religions *are* in fact misogynistic at worst to patriarchal at best almost by definition how would it not be discrimination according to gender?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
reminder not to travel to dirty third world countries like the united states if you are pregnant, you never know what might happen with their medieval health systems

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/million-dollar-baby-canadians-handed-1m-bill-after-woman-gives-birth-in-u-s-1.2107020

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And the diocese's health insurance plan, which the diocese directly administers without the help of a third party, paid for Herx's visits to the fertility doctor and the anesthesia she required.
This is the crux of it for me. If it is something the diocese believes so strongly against to deprive someone of their livelihood then why in the world are they paying for the treatment? You can't have it both ways. If it is against their religious beliefs they shouldn't pay for it.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

GOP passes legislation to block scientists from advising the EPA.

This is why letting the Republicans get a majority *will never* result in a net positive result even if you argue that somehow the "moderates" will be back in charge.

Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

Tech worker shortage doesn't actually exist. Tech industry just wants more indentured servants.
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

Has this thread become a catch-all for blatantly biased opinion pieces and unrelated "news" stories?
Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

So are the Republicans trying to, or not trying to, gut the EPA? Yes or no? Is there something about the article that is incorrect or otherwise mischaracterizes the Republican position or the facts as they happened?

Maybe you should just stop being terrible.

Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

So much for a postracial America. Also GOP lawmaker unable to refute a paranoid conspiracy theoriest fantasy of ethnic cleansing if the illegals aren't ejected.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

You know, it occurs to me that people like you gleefully quote these idiots because it makes you feel good about yourself and your superiority. If you don't pay this trash any credence, it won't get any traction. They're trying to get your attention in the most cynical way possible, and they're succeeding.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

You're not making any sense. I'm reading what you're writing and I'm not sure what sort of reality its supposed to reflect, such as first I don't quote them because it makes me feel good about myself, most of these articles actually fill me with outrage at just how horrible the world is and how much of it is because of the individuals in the United States congress, their lobbyists, and the useful idiots who vote for them.

Secondly how are they "idiots", that's a very strong term, I could describe say, Michelle Bachmann as an idiot and feel confident in being accurate because they actively spread false misinformation that harms real people.

Its a very specific term with specific meaning and your applying it in a very general sense; so lets look at the most recent article:

(1) Is the author wrong in asserting that much of the partisan political issues exist because of racially-charged politics?

(2) Is the author wrong that conservatives object to immigration reform because it changes the demographics to be more favourable for liberals?

(3) Is the author wrong in also explaining how the objections to the Affordable Care Act can also be seen in racial terms? They can be seen as "helping the poor and minorities disproportionately" and that can be seen as a source of opposition?

(4) Did Mr. Kobach not in fact say:

"What protects us in America from any kind of ethnic cleansing is the rule of law, of course," Kobach said. "And the rule of law used to be unassailable, used to be taken for granted in America. And now, of course, we have a President who disregards the law when it suits his interests. And, so, you know, while I normally would answer that by saying, 'Steve, of course we have the rule of law, that could never happen in America,' I wonder what could happen. I still don't think it’s going to happen in America, but I have to admit, that things are, things are strange and they're happening."

Why would I not want to pay any attention to it? Reading articles (vetted by the RationalWiki community) is a way to expand the information available to me to come to a more informed opinion on current events (those poor reefs...), even if you argue I'm just going it for my "outrage fix" I'm at work and bored, what else am I going to do and I can't be reading Fate Stay/Night all day.

So yeah assuming you are referring to me, they "succeeded" in getting my attention, and?

Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

HBO hires 160 lawyers in anticipation of litigation resulting from their upcoming Scientology documentary.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a bold move, considering how pissing off movie stars could make it more difficult to work with them in the future. Good on HBO.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Elison R. Salazar:
You're not making any sense. I'm reading what you're writing and I'm not sure what sort of reality its supposed to reflect, such as first I don't quote them because it makes me feel good about myself, most of these articles actually fill me with outrage at just how horrible the world is and how much of it is because of the individuals in the United States congress, their lobbyists, and the useful idiots who vote for them.

Little I have ever seen you do did not have the appearance of you trying to feel good about yourself.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
HBO hires 160 lawyers in anticipation of litigation resulting from their upcoming Scientology documentary.

Umm... they contract with a law firm (or 3) that has 160 lawyers in it, probably. They certainly didn't hire 160 lawyers individually. That would just be weird.
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

Little I have ever seen you do did not have the appearance of you trying to feel good about yourself.
You could have presented a slightly more unified front by critique'ing the actual articles or my arguments in some constructive fashion as to not present the resident libertarian/GOP apologists the mistaken impression that their world view has some vindication ("See even the other lieberal disagrees!"). So don't do that.
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

- posted      Profile for Heisenberg           Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be possible for Comrade Salazar to set up an email list, or blog, so that we might all know what the official party line is? That way we'll all be able to stay "united." I would not want to be disloyal to the party. I have a wife and children, after all.
Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Umm... they contract with a law firm (or 3) that has 160 lawyers in it, probably. They certainly didn't hire 160 lawyers individually. That would just be weird.

And expensive.

quote:
Would it be possible for Comrade Salazar to set up an email list, or blog, so that we might all know what the official party line is? That way we'll all be able to stay "united." I would not want to be disloyal to the party. I have a wife and children, after all.
I too was not only unaware of the official party line, but also that there was a party at all. I must not have gotten the invitation. Does the party have cookies, comrade Heisenberg? How about silly hats? I like silly hats.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

- posted      Profile for Heisenberg           Edit/Delete Post 
There are ration coupons given out for the silly hats, so that all may partake of said hats equally. But they are very NICE silly hats.
Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
quote:
quote:

You could have presented a slightly more unified front by critique'ing the actual articles or my arguments in some constructive fashion as to not present the resident libertarian/GOP apologists the mistaken impression that their world view has some vindication ("See even the other lieberal disagrees!"). So don't do that.
Clearly, I have failed in my mission then. And such an important mission it is...
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Heisenberg:

Unity is for Republicans.
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

quote:
Originally posted by Heisenberg:

Me for Emperor.

But yeah I don't care for the attempts to make the thread about me or whatever, I challenged Orincoro to actually substantiate his "gleefully quote these idiots" assertion and he declined so that's a concession as far as I care to address it so that's the end of that until the next interesting article I spot on Reddit or RationalWiki.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
You can regard it as a concession all you like, Elison. Those posts of yours were textbook examples of choir preaching, and they met (exceeded) the very furthest examples of naked partisanship for which folks like capax are criticized. To say nothing of the ridiculously over the top sneering.

So you're doing double duty here in this thread. Not only are you driving off any chance of an open discussion (a rarity now that Hatrack is slower and more homogenous, politically), but for those who are left who might otherwise agree with your political statements...well. You're embarrassing your fellow liberals.

Seriously, 'maybe you should stop being terrible'? Are you kidding me, dude? That trifling shit is the opposite of the way to bring respect to yourself and your position.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I would normally be fascinated by the idea that I am supposed to "substantiate," my opinion of Blayne's behavior. What does it mean? By what standard is substantiation made?

But it's been a long time since I cared. Sadly.

Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

The sass is strong in this one.
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

Greenpeace really should have done some basic research before desecrating the national heritage of Peru.
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

Black man being beaten in broad daylight by white police officer.
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

I wanna play too, Blayne!

2 NYPD Officers Killed In Ambush.Shooter was a member of the "Black Geurilla Family" gang.

quote:
The cold-blooded cop-hater who gunned down two police officers in Brooklyn on Saturday is suspected of being a member of a notorious prison gang that has declared open season on the NYPD.

Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

[Big Grin]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by capaxinfiniti:
I wanna play too, Blayne!

2 NYPD Officers Killed In Ambush.Shooter was a member of the "Black Geurilla Family" gang.

quote:
The cold-blooded cop-hater who gunned down two police officers in Brooklyn on Saturday is suspected of being a member of a notorious prison gang that has declared open season on the NYPD.

hahahahahaha you didn't even click on his link
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

capax someday you have to at least try to not be such a stereotypical rube. but not yet. don't stop yet. this is gold
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, it looks like the black man is actually beating the cop pretty badly.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

That poor man, doing his best to serve that community. [Frown]
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
Also, it looks like the black man is actually beating the cop pretty badly.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets indicted.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I can't make out white's situation for sure but he sure does look like he's getting owned
tertiaryadjunct
Member # 12989

- posted      Profile for tertiaryadjunct           Edit/Delete Post 
Which is exactly what Fox has been trying to tell you for years. Maybe next time you'll listen.
Posts: 89 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Gonna experiment with a thing I saw at another fora a few yonks back.

Fully-Insured Woman Faces Bankruptcy After Being Taken to Wrong Hospital

Also for God's sake can we just marvel at the people who think our health care system is good
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

And sadly Vermont might be scrapping plans for single payer because it doesn't have enough corruption.
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
capax someday you have to at least try to not be such a stereotypical rube. but not yet. don't stop yet. this is gold

Haha. Are you for real, bro? Your over-the-top theatrics are becoming less frequent but no less entertaining. I read his link. You've clearly missed the point of the game.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Um. capax, you realize that no one here actually thinks you read the link before posting, right? I mean, we all know you posted a knee-jerk defense of the police without actually checking out what the "beating" was. Because, heck, the alternative would be even more pathetic.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

Um, Tommy, you realize you really have no idea if I actually read the link or not, right? Like, just claiming something doesn't make it so. You understand this, yes? I sure hope a grown man such as yourself understands this...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

No, see, I am absolutely certain you did not read the link.

Because you are not a complete idiot, and posting what you posted after reading the link would be the action of a complete idiot.

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody can claim absolute knowledge about whether you read the link or not (omg he can't even prove you exists!) which is a different thing than not extending you the benefit of the doubt with your attempt to save face by claiming you read the link. Which people will do. People just pretty much don't believe you because you've acted like you have for years on this forum.

That and like Tommy Davidsonny said the alternative explanation makes you look even worse so ok keep trying to roll with it.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
why am I even doing this
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.