FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Confusing Arthur's Love Triangle with Tristan and Isolde

Author Topic: Confusing Arthur's Love Triangle with Tristan and Isolde
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched another Arthur movie where the don't get the Arthur/Guenevere/Lancelot love triangle, and instead give us a Tristan & Isolde story about a young woman who marries for duty but loves the good man instead.

A love triangle has three sides. Arthur loves Gwen and Gwen loves Arthur. Lancelot loves Gwen and Gwen loves Lancelot. Arthur loves Lancelot (not romantically, but bromanticly-- or bFF.) They have a solid, equal friendship. It is the pressure that each point on the triangle pulls on the other two that lifts this 3 way relationship up from the mud.

King Mark loves Isolde, and Isolde likes King Mark. King Mark is suspicious and weary of his much more talented and youthful nephew Tristan. Tristan respects his Uncle at first, but that degrades as his love for Isolde grows. Isolde Loves Tristan and Tristan loves Isolde. This bond is solid and unbreakable to the point that we know it will be inevitable. This is a story of the nobility of Love over the boring demands of reality.

Its also so much easier to film in two hours than some true romantic triangle.

I guess what I am after here is that a Romantic Triangle has 3 equal sides. Some person choosing between two romantic partners is a Romantic Angle. Way to often we are presented with some writer's Romantic angle instead of the loftier but more difficult literature.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Good observation, I've never realized that.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.