FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » RIP Terry Pratchett

Author Topic: RIP Terry Pratchett
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
You will be missed [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 12043

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be wrong to hope he's left a note somewhere: I Aten't Dead.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love the bit in his author blurb 'Terry Pratchett was born in 1948 and is still not dead.' I loved the amount of tempting fate and pushing luck that went into it. Fantastic.

They haven't been using that one recently.

I've never been so glad to see the death of someone I admired, respected and wished would live forever and keep giving us works of genius. I may have even punched the air. I'm so glad he didn't linger about on this planet losing his mind completely. No, he got out in the best escape you can have when your brain starts to give you gyp.

Since in Terry's world, when you die you get whatever you expect to get, I hope Death really did turn up, and that they went out for a curry.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, this really sucks. [Frown]

I finally, finally began reading the Discworld books 3 years ago and absolutely fell in love with his writing. I still have about 20 books to go, but it's a little sad knowing that there won't be any more. Still, like Bella I'm very relieved he died now while he was still fully himself, and apparently very at peace with the idea. I'm glad he didn't suffer.

His daughter had this to say after his passing:

quote:
Terry took Death’s arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.
RIP.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I haven't read any Terry Pratchett, and I've *never* heard anyone say, "Don't read this one." It's a little daunting, I have *no* idea where to start. Suggestions?

First response wins.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I took a rather unconventional approach and just started from the beginning. A lot of people gave me suggested reading orders or different points to start from, I finally decided just to read them in the order he wrote them.

I will warn you that his writing style and worldbuilding are pretty different in the first two books (The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic) - Equal Rites is (IMO) the first book where he adopts a more "serious" (or I suppose, less overly droll) tone. Mort is great, Sourcery is completely skippable, as is Eric IMO. (I tend not to like the Rincewind books in general)

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Guards! Guards!

Or Wyrd Sisters, if you like Shakespeare.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
I have only read The Colour of Magic (and Good Omens with Gaiman), and almost stopped there. At the suggestion of several others, Guards! Guards! will be my next read. I just need to grab a copy.

RIP, Sir.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.