FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » parenting advice

Author Topic: parenting advice
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
3 year old ryan wants to go to amusement park.
amusement parks have germs.
1 month anthony isn't fully vaccinated yet.
emphasis on 'yet'.

does the whole family go to amusement park?
or does mommy stay with anthony and daddy bring ryan?

thanks!

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
The entire day at the amusement park will be focused on Ryan's wants (toddler spinny rides). All Ryan's parents will do is point out rides he could go on and watch him do it.

I assume this isn't Disney, so they don't do a "baby swap" where Disney lets the parent who sat out on the ride cut the line after the first parent went through. Disney has some attractions where someone could sit with a kid, but most parks don't. Disney also has characters and shows.

Anthony is just along for the ride (albeit with free admission), but one parent must be with him at all times. You are paying to have a parent babysit Anthony at the park, which will involve schlepping all sorts of gear on the very little sleep parents of a 1 month old get.

*I* remember doing to Disney World at age three, but most kids don't remember. I'd hope my kid forgot he wanted to go. Personally, if I had a three year old and a one month old, I'd be a jerk parent and not subject myself to the exhaustion (and fun) that an amusement park can bring until I wasn't in possession of an infant.

Also, consider whether your wife might handle Ryan better and enjoy the park more.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just send one person or get a sitter for the baby if he will take a bottle, but not primarily out of fear of germs. I assume your 1-month-old will not be touching anything at the park, so provided that you have hand sanitizer to clean your hands regularly he will not be directly exposed much more than he would at the grocery store or the mall. But I wouldn't take him because it sounds like a miserable day for him and the parent saddled with him.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent ten days at DisneyWorld with a not-quite 2 year old and a one month old. It was a blast.

But, that was before the recent outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases. And it was Disney, which is full of little-kid friendly stuff. If this is a park that both parents would enjoy and enjoy seeing Ryan enjoy I would all go. If it's going to be boring for the parents I'd just send one.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
Personally, if I had a three year old and a one month old, I'd be a jerk parent and not subject myself to the exhaustion (and fun) that an amusement park can bring until I wasn't in possession of an infant.

Me too, but I wouldn't even consider myself a jerk parent. I'd just be the parent who didn't think that sounded like a good idea.

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
I spent ten days at DisneyWorld with a not-quite 2 year old and a one month old. It was a blast.

I already suspected, but this confirms it. You have some kind of parenting superpower.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'd say wait on the disney vacation until the youngest is about 3 or 4 -- young enough for it to be really magical for them, but old enough to actually do a few things and hand off to the other parent as needed.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was 2 or 3 when my grandmother took us to Disneyworld.

I vaguely remember the anniversary cake they had out that year for the park's Birthday, but really I think I'm just remembering pictures of the cake. I have no recollection of what actually happened.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I was four years old the first time I went to an amusement park. My mom had just come down with the flu, and my dad was trying to quarantine me from her by taking me out of town for the weekend.

Instead, I brought the flu to everyone at Disneyland and spent the trip throwing up on everything in reach.

I vote "everyone stays home, try again next year."

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Just me and the 3 year old went to Sesame place yesterday. Mommy was a little sad, but the park wasn't crowded at all and we got to go on everything multiple times.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.