FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Author Topic: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
What do you guys think?
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Heard of it, never read it.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since I read it, but I found it to be a pretty moving experience to read, but it didn't noticeably affect my life afterward. It's a great book, but maybe not a Great Book.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it very much. Didn't expect the surprise ending.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading it recently and it seemed like it'd make me dissatisfied and frustrated with my busy-city life, at a time when I didn't especially want to be so-dissatisfied, so I stopped reading it.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

I had a similar experience. I went on a cruise with my wife, and my friend lent me his copy of Siddartha. It was quite disturbing reading about the glory of the ascetic lifestyle while trying to enjoy the luxuries of taking a cruise. I don't recommend that to anyone.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a sometimes motorcycle mechanic. Is this book for me [Big Grin]
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

You'd enjoy the limited quantity of technical parts I bet. He uses it as a vehicle (no pun intended) to explain his greater thoughts.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a technical type person (and also sometime motorcycle mechanic), and I honestly don't remember any technical parts other than using beer can material as a shim.

As to the city-busy life issue, I don't think it would really change your city satisfaction. It's been awhile, but I mostly remember issues of his relationship with his son, and his (the narrator's) coming of age philosophically and emotionally.

[ July 03, 2015, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Arnold ]

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Curious, how does the rainy day/mood music/fireplace thread impact your city satisfaction? I'd expect it to have a more significant effect than reading a book.
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
other than using beer can material as a shim.

I've done that [Big Grin]
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
I'm a technical type person (and also sometime motorcycle mechanic), and I honestly don't remember any technical parts other than using beer can material as a shim.

As to the city-busy life issue, I don't think it would really change your city satisfaction. It's been awhile, but I mostly remember issues of his relationship with his son, and his (the narrator's) coming of age philosophically and emotionally.

The first chapter was making me dissatisfied and sad, which I assume would generalize.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.