FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Trying to find a quote from one of Mr. Card's books

Author Topic: Trying to find a quote from one of Mr. Card's books
Korg
Member # 13291

- posted      Profile for Korg   Email Korg         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to find a quote I read once in one of Mr. Card's books a while back. It's about how politicians are only good at getting elected and then they spend the next four years working to stay elected. Unfortunately, when I try to google the quote, all I get is all this offensive mudslinging at Mr. Card... despicable. Anyway, could you point me in the right direction?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I know the quote you are talking about. I'd guess it's in the Shadow series, but let me see if I can find it.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korg
Member # 13291

Awesome, thank you.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korg
Member # 13291

Kathleen Bellamy was able to find this for me. It's at the beginning of Hidden Empire:

This is a dangerous planet. Only a politician would try to tell you otherwise. And I’m not talking about wars — we’re America, we win our wars. There are earthquakes, storms, volcanos. Plagues can appear out of nowhere and slaughter millions of people. Blights can wipe out our crops. A meteor the size of a bus could hit the earth and send us back to the Stone Age. An extraordinary solar flare could destroy our electronics or heat our atmosphere so much our crops all die and we starve.
And whom do we put in charge of helping us prepare to cope with such disasters? People whose only talent is for getting elected, and whose entire future consists of the runup to the next election. It’s not their fault — anybody who doesn’t think and act that way won’t win. It’s the fundamental problem with democracy. No long-range thinking. So we’re just sitting ducks, waiting for the next disaster.

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
That series would have been my second guess. Glad you found it. [Smile]
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I was gonna guess it was one of his columns, actually, and make a joke about mudslinging, but good get!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.